NASCAR is a waste of gasoline in 2006.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Ander, Oct 11, 2006.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Discuss this concept.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Nascar is a waste of gasoline every year.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Eh, they've been on a downhill slope for the past few years. I've been catching results to see what happens, but im not watching it avidly like I did 4 years ago.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

$5 says this is for school, considering how you didn't add your own opinion and you only wrote "dicuss this concept".
    --

It's an iffy situation. Some love the sport, others hate it, but most couldn't give a shit about it. They should try to find some alternatives for Nascars instead of gasoline, I'm sure it's possible. I mean, it's better than having all of those gas emissions in one arena (?) together.

But yeah, Todd's pretty much right, for most people's opinions, mine included. Who watches it anyways? I don't.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Whats even funnier, is that next year, Nascar will be on Sirius radio...how the hell do you listen to it, what is there to listen to? "And Jeff Gordon is going straight, no wait, he's making a left turn...oh, now he's headed straight again, and another left turn!" Nascar has one thing that makes it worth watching....the crashes, and now that's gone on the radio.

And yeah, it's a huge waste of gas...those cars go 500 miles. I ca barely get 350 miles to a tank and my car's in the high 20s for miles per gallon. Those cars probably get crap for gas mileage, what a waste.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

My parents being huge NASCAR fans (infact they're going to a race this weekend in North Carolina or something), I know how it sounds on the radio. It's basically how football on the radio is, except alot more boring. Just a ton of PBP.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

NASCAR on the radio... *bursts out laughing*

And people said Crazy Frog was bad. xD

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

NASCAR isn't so bad. When I first started watching it, I couldn't get into it. After a while, I started liking it. Then, as I got a little older, I came to appreciate everything that goes into a race (from the car set-ups to having a driver good enough to win a race). It takes a lot to get into but it's pretty enjoyable when you really know what's going on. No, it's not as "all-over" as Formula 1 is, but it can still be exciting.

As for wasting gas, I'm sure they could find an alternative. If those cars didn't go so fast, they'd get really damn good gas mileage. But it's proven that if you go faster you're going to waste a lot of gas (which is why they always tell you not to floor your car on the highway because that uses a ton of gas). I mean, some cars get good gas mileage on the highway (going fast) but others really don't. But these cars are constantly dropping and gaining speed all race, so it's not constant, and causes them to use a lot more gas than they normally would. Plus they're nearly 700 horsepower, so that's got a lot to do with it. I'm sure if they used that new-fangled made-from-corn fuel, it'd be a lot better in the long run. But they won't switch any time soon.

@Tomi:
    Ander's not doing this for a school project. He's part of a new government operation to abolish NASCAR. :lol:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Those cars clearly run on Budweiser.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Keep your $5 quiet or send it to me.

Hahaha. Will knows what's up.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

nascar is for shitfaces that like to watch 43 dudes go in circles like fucking losers. i hoep all the cars blow up.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

Yah...I laughed my ass off just there....but...I agree :) :lol:

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I'm a huge NASCAR fan, have been all my life which is 19 years. I will say this, most of the opinions and comments about the sport that some of you have said are typical for the non-NASCAR fan to say.

It all comes down to the fact that ya'll don't understand the sport and don't care to understand it. That's cool and all, I'm not saying you have to like it, and I could really care less if someone doesn't like it. But let me tell you something, if ya'll tried doing what they do, none of you would last 10 minutes.

And to those who say NASCAR is only good because of the crashes, you people are really ignorant. Drivers can get hurt, and have gotten hurt, and have even been killed in crashes. Saying something like that is cold-hearted in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
    Seinfeld

yah...that's true...they do take a lot in the cokpit...but still...I used to watch it...and then I saw the F1 racing with michael schuhmacher and stuff (I like that a lot)...and...well...honestly?...why always drive in an oval?...I mean...it's like a dograce...

And...well...as for what we don't understand...maybe you could explain to us what makes it interesting?...(seriously...this isn'T just to be a pain about it)

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Well first of all, while NASCAR may be an oval-based series, all the tracks are different in their own way. Plus, the Cup Series races two road courses a year, and the Busch Series will be racing three road courses next year, so they don't race on JUST ovals..

Now what makes it interesting to me might no be interesting to someone else. I grew up on this sport. I was born as a fan and watched races ever since I was a baby. I know the sport inside and out, and my love for automobiles has something to do with why I like it also.

The excitement gets me hooked every week. Most people see it ass "going fast and turning left", but theres more to it than that, a lot more. There's just so much that I could write an 8-page paper about it, and I have when I was in 8th grade, so I'll try to keep this as short as sweet as possible.

I have the outmost respect for all the drivers, weather I like them or not. One reason is because they put their lives on the line to do something they love to do every week. Another reason why my respect level is so high is because there is hardly any air flow inside that car aside from wheat you get blown through your helmet. On hot days, drivers lose 20-30 pounds A RACE. The level of endurance in NASCAR is higher than what most people want to believe.

Theres just so much. To be excited for NASCAR you must first have respect for the sport. If you don't then for some people I feel it's really hard to get into. It's all hard to explain because peoples opinions differ a lot from others.

It just irks me to no end that most people think that NASCAR is driving in circles for 4 hours and turning left. It's rediculous. But, opinions will be opinions, and I'm nto ehre to make anyone like it or dislike it, just stating my opinion like everyone else.

Seinfeld

I agree with you ^_^...partially...but...like you said...let's let opinions be opinions :)

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

if there is no bloodshed it is not a sport.

Viper62

Viper62 Well-Known Member

theyve took it off the tv, but before that i practicly allways watched it

Detri

Detri Well-Known Member

Dale Earnhardt died when he hit the wall at 185mph. His brain was severed from his spine.

I'm pretty sure he was bleeding out of his mouth.

By the way, to those that despise NASCAR so much... why? If you don't like it - don't watch it. 90% of people that don't watch it don't even give it a shot. And when they do, they don't look at what goes into every race. The sheer effort by each and every team that's put into everything is quite amazing if you take the time to look.

If you don't know anything about it, keep your fucking mouth shut.

kthx

btw my favorite driver, Jeff Burton is leading the points. <3

*AloneInHerDarkRoom*

*AloneInHerDarkRoom* Well-Known Member

I thought NASCAR was corny. Then last summer I was waiting for the Dew Action Sports Tour to some. NASCAR was on going over its time, so I just decided to watch it untill DAST came on. I kind of liked it. I stoped watching it like I did last year. Its hard for me to sit there and watch a bunch guys go around in a circle for 45 laps. I just can't do it. Even when I did watch it, I always turned the tv and watch something else for a while. But I don't think its a waste of gasoline. Its an ok sport to me.