Random Thoughts 8

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Joe, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Haha, owned! David Eckstein won a Corvette Z06 for being world series MVP, but just said in an interview that he can't drive a stick and Z06's are manuals. That would suck :lol:

2. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Without you, I'm nothing at all.

3. Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Oh damn. I'll take the Z06 gladly. :D

4. Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Metalocalypse gets funnier every time I see it :lol:

5. Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

*raises hand* I can drive a stick.

6. Friskey™

You're going to cure death?
    Mwhahahahahahaha.....doubt it.

:lol:

7. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

It's weird to me that I enjoyed my first week of work.

It's not too hard, but it's also not too boring to the point where I'm going to want to kick small children in the head and bludgeon them over and over with dull objects.

Just kidding. I'll do that anyway.

8. Friskey™

Are you being intentally dense?

9. Todd

I don't know that feeling, I work at an IT helpdesk, so naturally, I want to kill anything in sight after a shift

10. Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I really should find somewhere where I can work as IT. I need some amusement. lmfao

11. Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

I want a dSLR Canon Rebel.

I want to be able to take good photos.

12. Friskey™

Ok, that House marathon really did me in :lol:

13. Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

You know, I'm not even the slightest ready for Halloween. I have no clue what I'm going to do on Halloween even...

14. Todd

Yes, there's plenty of amusement in IT. A couple weeks ago, some professor called us because he needed admin rights on a computer to install something for a class he was teaching in 20 minutes. No problem, we just need the computer name and we can grant rights for that computer. But he was in his office and the computer was downstrairs, so he said he would call us back from his cell phone. BUT, he went on to add that since this was "urgent" while we're waiting on him, we should start calling technicians to get someone sent out there just in case it didn't work. I said I can't do that until we know for sure you were unable to install it. I repeated that about 5 times until he took that for an answer. Then, he wanted to know my direct phone number, and I stupidly gave it to him, but said that its possible I could be on the phone with someone else and he would need to call the helpdesk number to get placed in the queue and get routed to the first available agent like everyone else. Not satisfied, he said that he can't have that, and if my line is busy, I must stop what I'm doing, hang up on whoever I'm talking to, and help him. I said that wouldn't happen and that granting admin rights is a simple procedure for us that any of us are qualified to do and he will need to call the helpdesk line. So fortunately, I was on the phone with someone else when he called back and he did have to call the helpdesk line and ended up speaking to someone else so I didn't have to deal with him :lol:

Then you have the people who just don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Someone submitted a ticket for an email quota increase, the subject was something like "need more memory space for email" which, meh, I could see how someone would call it memory, but I think of memory as being RAM, not hard drive. But in the message, he said he "needs more bandwidth" to manage his e-mails. Um wow, how the fuck do you confuse hard disk space and bandwidth? Especially when you're at a university which is focused heavily on technology?

And I had a call from some professor and she needed to reset the password to her account. We setup the reset from our end, and they have to go to a website to choose their new password. I swear to god, she did not know how to access the internet, she had no fucking idea what to do when I gave her the URL to go to. My grandpa who's nearly 90 years old and knows nothing about computers knows how to go to a website.

So yeah, there's so much entertainment working for IT sometimes. Of course, to work for IT, you need to accept the fact that everything's your fault. People blame me for sever outages all the time. The closest I've even gotten to the physical servers is walking past the door that goes into the datacenter. Or the time when a power outage affected half of the campus, with our datacenter being in the affected half, people in areas with power were pissed off at us for servers being out, as if it was our fault.

15. Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

LMFAO, woow. That's amazing. I wonder how hard it is to get an IT support job at my age? I'll have to go scout around.

I know a few people who mix up hdd space with memory. Confuses the fuck outta me often, so I end up yelling at them until they get it right.
    RAM = memory != hdd space

Remember that list I posted in Tech Talk? I've printed that out and posted it on my wall. :D

---
    http://www.w3bdevil.com/
    How often do you see a site like that? Everyone's always running around wanting their site to look pretty with a nice design. This guy's unique. I've only seen a site like his once before.

...naturally I go and read the source code, and what do I find?
    "<!-- If you are reading this, then you have no life -->"
    Busted. >_<

---
    To think, Google is known for being a search engine, and it doesn't even have a search feature in Reader. Unbelievable. Right when I need it most. *mutters*

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  16. Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

first mock science exam in 4 and a half hours >_

17. the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Gah.. my head..

18. Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

wow i passed on my science and maths paper...i think i may actually graduate on a one shot...

19. Muri

Muri It never ends.

:hug:!!!!

20. Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.