Linkin Park Get A Little 'Progressive'

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

They did that for 2 albums, a change would be good for once. Let's just hope is a new change.

What do you mean? They are going to retain their sound. Most likely what will happen is that they will restructure their formulas for their songs. Instead of catchy pop jingles we will have some real music like what we had back in the Xero days. It might not be the "correct" public move for them. But who knows! Times have changed.. perhaps a change will bring them more money and respect.

You speaking for alot of people there. It goes both ways. A bunch love the LP sound, a bunch want a new LP sound, a bunch want concentrated version of both the new sound and the spice of the original LP. LP can't please everyone ..!

And if it does, it's not the end of the world. There's a crap load of other music to listen to. I rather them stray than stay in the same repetitive formula that sells. I wanna listen to music, not studied, and proven generated song patterns that sell.

But that's my opinion. Yours is you want that so hey, who knows you might get it =).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
    Pinkin Lark

Pinkin Lark Prince of Persia.

If Linkin Park does not evolve their sound...I'll really lose a lot of faith in them, if not all.

-x-ecks-x-

-x-ecks-x- Well-Known Member

Then your just not a true fan. I love LP still even though (because they're taking their sweet time with this album) I've bumped em the 2nd on my list of favourite bands. I'm sure that when the album finally drops, it will surely be impressive. If they haven't made much of a change in their style, it will still be good; And if they do I'm sure they won't become reinvented.

They've been up there for some years now, and they know what their fans like. Keep your faith in them, they won't let you down.

As for whoever said something about there being much more variety out there to listen too. I fully agree. LP is among the highest respected bands of our time, but there are still many bands out there that may not have even nearly as much publicity. Just go out and search your interests and you'll find that LP isn't the only band with "their" particular sound.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Hating the fact that they don't evolve does not make us NOT true fans dude. We are just sick of LP's music sounding so structured and catered for the masses. I can't even give most songs on Meteora a good listen anymore because it was rewritten so many times to sound pop that it is painfully obvious.

I really do not wan't Linkin Park to be another Godsmack, where that band has released about 5 albums now and still sound exactly the same as they did on their first CD. Big bands like U2 and Aerosmith...even The Beatles, evolved their sound to be different over time, and look how timeless they were? Think about it.

Pinkin Lark

You're right...dammit...me wanting Linkin Park's music to evolve and become better and to live up to their full potential really makes me 'not a true fan'. You got me there buddy...dont ever assume again especially something about me. If they don't change their style and produce another HT-type album...I know I'll like it at first just as I did with Meteora, but then after the album settles in, the sound just gets too repetitive and predictable...still enjoyable at times, but just not as amazing as HT. And like Derek said respect is kept with great music. Meteora was cool, but Hybrid Theory was GREAT and to keep the respect they need to make this a great album. Of course I still have a lot of faith in them (they are still my favorite), Im just saying if they dont come through with what they are promising AGAIN, then they will lose it. Like everyone has said there is plenty of music to listen to.

And Linkin Park has already showed with time what they produced...another HT. But thus far, I'm blaming Don Gilmore for that repetitive sound. Rick Rubin is a genius and a legend, I hope he gets whatever Don Gilmore has done with Linkin Park and thrown it all out and let them make another REAL album like Hybrid Theory EP and Hybrid Theory. An album that pushes the envelope in music.

Suru

Suru Member

What?

I can't believe what I'm listening to here! Meteora was a great album. HT isn't THAT much better than Meteroa. Ok, HT sold over 10million albums worldwide, Meteroa sold over 6million. That's a pretty good result for an album that had so much anticipation and hype. I'm sure during 2004-05 you guys were listening to the tunes and lyrics over and over. Smack to the present, all I hear is you guys knockin it, putting it down. So what if it was similar to HT, it reached over 6x platinum. Most bands would be pleased to even reach 1x platinum, even established ones.
    I do believe they should evolve but the last thing I want to hear is another bad review of Meteora. I believe history will repeat itself when the 4th album arrives. "Ah the 3rd album was alright but it wasn't as good as HT". I say just zip it!

-x-ecks-x-

Thank you.

To the rest of you, take a chill pill. It's just a band. You completely took what I said the wrong way. All I meant was if your gonna sit here and talk trash about Meteora now, your just being childish and demanding. You've simply become way too accustom to their sound and are craving a change badly. Don't put the pressure on them to make an amazing album. Because like Suru said, by the time the 4th album is half a year away you'll be saying how this album coming was great and all, but it wasn't HT.

Linkin Park blew out into the limelight with HT and Don Gilmore knew this. Unfortunately he doesn't know that much about people and how they grow up, so he kept Meteora as similar as possible. Although this did work to a high degree, most of you (now) seem to be complaining about it even though when Meteora hit many people were quite satisfied.

So don't come down on me for sharing my opinion. If you love LP your gonna accept what they put out. If your not satisfied, you grew out of them. It happens all the time, many bands I liked when I was younger I don't anymore, its plain and simple. LP are not the God's of music some of you make them out to be (I'm not referring to anyone specifically here) so just accept the fact that what it will be is what it will be.

Shadow

Come on now. Let's not go around pointing fingers that people are not "true fans" because they might lose faith in linkin park. I lost faith in linkin park back in 04. We are going to 07 now? And you are talking to a guy that used to be in the message boards maybe everyday or so. A guy that used to do homebrew crappy remixes and a guy that used to waste his precious time "fiening" just like everyone else for a new album from them. But I got better things to do. Does that make me not a true LP fan as you say because I no longer do the above? So what if I lost faith that doesn't mean I am not a fan. So relax with that. I say as long as you listen to their music at some point in your life time you can consider yourself a fan.

As for the fellow that said that considers Meteora great. I guess you haven't noticed how alike in structure is Meteora to Hybrid Theory.

Any who, let's just rejoice that LP is making progress. I am anxious to here how the outcome will be.

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

The reason that Meteora sounded like they didn't grow up is because they probably didn't. That's no offence to them but there's no way you can tell me they are the same people. Your not going to be able to relate to them anymore. They are not kids writing music in their bedroom cause their pissed off at the world. They're celebrities. Rap/rockstars. Theyre friends are the same thing. Linkin Park will never write another album that will touch you like LP because at that time they were in the same place as you, but not now. Having kids come up to you every day saying your the greatest person in the world, that you saved their life, that has to fuck with one's head.

musicphreke

musicphreke Living Thing

man, these threads are getting heated sometimes, haha.

i have faith that LP will do just fine. like said before, Rick Rubin is a fucking legend and won't let them burnout on the same old crap again. this will not be meteora, this will not be hybrid theory. it's going to be Linkin Park, and that's what matters. i doubt they'll stray too far, but won't sound repetitive.

my only complaint is the waiting time. i know they've been quite busy, though. but still. at this point we've got HT in 2000, Meteora in 2003, this next album in 2007 [we hope]. so that's 3 years between and then 4 years. so will LP's 4th studio album be released in 5 years? i.e. 2012? that's insane. they're like microsoft and releases between OS's lately ;) okay bad comparison, but hey, it's pretty similar. maybe they'll not do so much side-project crap in between this new one and the next.

aTouchOfMagic

aTouchOfMagic Active Member

well there are certainly a lot of different views in here. i notice that people are concerened that LP may sing songs that simply sound like these 'influential' bands. well i remember reading an article on this site where one of the band members quoted that although they have taken different sounds from different bands, you will still hear and recognise the linkin park sound that we all know. changing the subject, im a little dissapointed at the release date...spring 2007. i was kinda hoping for a jan feb release. but as someone has already said, a couple of extra months wont hurt! my birthday is 10th march so that will be a good release date ;)

Pinkin Lark

Lol I dunno my point isnt coming through, it seems like most of the fans dont want Linkin Park to do anything new. I said already that Meteora AT FIRST was good, but then when the hype died for me...I saw that it was almost identical to HT in structure and whatnot. And to 'ecks', I dont see myself being childish and demanding, Linkin Park can do whatever they want to the next album and I'll give it a honest listen and then see if I like it or not, but what you seem to miss was how Mike and the rest of the band kept emphasizing the 'change' in their music and there was close to none! And this time around they are saying the same stuff, so its hard to get REALLY excited about the album, but this time around, like I said before has Rick Rubin...so the change is very possible. And I in no way think LP are the gods of music (they are far from), but I really can see their potential to make amazing music and I see it as a complete waste to just stick to the same formula everytime around.

aTouchOfMagic

aTouchOfMagic Active Member

i agree 100% with what u say, more so the part about the emphasis of change and how the albums werent that different. unlike you however, i am excited about the change, and i am pretty sure i speak on behalf of the majority of LPA members. im not sure what the outcome of this 'change' will sound like, but i read that they will also be taking some of the music style they had before HT was released. maybe something similar to the song Carousel, which is one of my favourites.
    If the album does turn out to sound like the previous 2 then i wont be disappointed, as its those albums that have attracted all us fans.

Pinkin Lark

You still aren't understanding what I'm saying lol. I AM excited about the change, very excited... its what I want, but I am just a little skeptical because of what I have said in prior posts. But it is not gonna be until early next year that we will hear the 'new sound' so time will tell.

Shadow

I know where you are coming from. That's exactly how I felt after Meteora. I couldn't believe a flying thing out of Mike's mouth. Yet, after Fort Minor. I am actually starting to believe the sucker. He really sticks out for his fans. Dedicates time and has kept himself very original in the sense of music. So I really have high hopes now this upcoming album will be something interesting. Don't get me wrong.. he did say that in Meteora, yet remember he was under a contract. And learning now working with people that were in the music industry.. the mp3 era has really fucked music up. So it even explains even more why WB perhaps pressured them to keep the same structure from HT in Meteora. I no longer have as much disappointment and hate towards them.. because at the end of the day, it's business. Nothing else. As long as they are under a contract.. if they have to dance with pink outfits.. then they have to =/.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Saw this on linkinpark.com

"Linkin Park is confirmed for the Bamboozle Festival at the Giants Stadium Parking Lot in E. Rutherford, NJ on May 6th, 2007! This 2 day event features headliner My Chemical Romance on May 5th with all other acts on both dates TBA. This is LP's FIRST CONFIRMED US Show in over 2 years, and you can expect to hear them perform songs LIVE off their highly anticipated 2007 release, as well as other LP favorites from their past recordings. All tickets go on sale to the general public 12/15."

C'mon Chicago dates!!

Suru

Suru Member

As for the fellow that said that considers Meteora great. I guess you haven't noticed how alike in structure is Meteora to Hybrid Theory.

Is that your justification for Meteora not being great? I believe the 6,6figure sales says that it is.

Also, how was LP's previous albums (HB+Meteora), lyrics immature? If you listen carefully they're pretty deep and personal, esp Breaking the Habit. As one suggested about them talking about their present situation...DEFINITELY NOT! Who wants to hear about their success and celebrity status? If that's the case they should move on to RnB/Rap, talk about sports cars, bein a Pimp and girls with big hOOters! Who's gonna relate to that? LP's success was due to US relating to what they were saying ,as well as their great tunes. When your as successful as LP, you look back to what got you their in the first place. Bands that don't eventually fall and loose focus (and that's for 90% of bands out their).

Sorry for the long post but I believe I have to get my message across

Numb: I'm tired of being what you want me to be
    Feeling so faithless lost under the surface (People's expectations. Something all of us experience even when we're 60)

Hit the Floor:There are just too many times that people have tried to look
    inside of me.
    Afraid to say what was on my mind afraid to say what I need to
    say (leads to paranoia, an issue that everyone experiences esp after Sep 11)

I can go on but I believe I've prooven my point. Each song can have a different meaning to each individual. Where is the immaturity in these lyrics, please explain!

-x-ecks-x-

See the thing about music is the problem we're all displaying right now. Everybody has their own views and tastes, and they are clearly clashing here.

Point is, Pinkin Lark... your beginning to annoy me, it's nothing really that personal. It just seems to me that your attacking me due to the fact that LP isn't what it used to be. You say your looking forward to the change, well so are most people. But if they aren't, who are you to say that they shouldn't feel the way they do?

No matter what LP does. I have a feeling after 6 months you won't be happy.

Shadow

If that were the case , then everyone that makes alot of money would be a great artist, no? I think there's some reason why it "sells" and sometimes it's good music.. sometimes is called formulated structures that sell. You make the judgement call.

Well I didn't bring anything about lyrics being immature.. but now that you are on the subject. If you call Meteora more "deep and personal" than the Xero material.. I don't know where the hell have you been hiding. Songs that share title names and are used in the lyrics.. I don't call very "deep": "it's easier to run! Replacing the pain with something numb" and then "I've become so numb" and whatever the lyric is. Just because they don't sing about cars, being pimps, and dymes doesn't mean because they write about the same subject they are any better. I don't know if you even noticed this part in crawling and easier to run:

Crawling: "there's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface"
    Easier to Run: "Something has been taken from deep inside of me"

I don't know about you.. but that has about the same meaning just said in another way. Let's not mention the fact if you deduct the intro track easier to run falls in the same track placement as crawling. Also, the fact easier to run starts with a "wind" sound vs crawling's "draining" sound. Now if you can't see that.. I don't know what will make you see that album was not so "lyrically" deep.

Well when you are in their shoes and live their lives you'll see a whole crowd also relates to the success stories of one day singing about big boobs, sport cars, and being a pimp. For every little thing in this world there's someone made for it. Don't ever forget that.

Well see Hybrid Theory was them being original, beyond that was WB taking advantage of their little gold pot they found within them. If I was a billion $$$ company, I would try my best to milk them to make money. You know why? With current change in media to mp3s, album sales aren't doing so great. So instead of "being" original what they do is try to make something 'new' out of something that didn't break. Period. I don't understand your statement about bands that don't eventually fall and loose focus. Please go into more detail for that o.o

You know what was the sad part about that song? It had so much potential... until some of us saw the video and said "emo!"
    Wouldn't Papercut fall into that category too? Why would I want another song were the meaning can be interpreted in many ways o_O.

I don't know if immaturity is the correct word.

Suru

Suru Member

Quote: Well I didn't bring anything about lyrics being immature.. but now that you are on the subject.

It wasn't targeted specifically at you. I should have made that clearer.

You still haven't convinced me that their lyrics are 'presented' shall I say as, immature. Your only telling me that they are similar in meaning, which leads to once again your assumptions.
    Your fighting real hard to defend yourself but I ask you this...are you a true LP fan? You sound more like a hater than a supporter.
    I'm not going to take this further because we'll just be counter-attacking each post. I say let's agree to disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.