Biggest Letdown of 2006

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Jan 3, 2007.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

What albums do you choose as the biggest letdowns of 2006?

Two albums really stuck out for me: Lostprophets' 'Liberation Transmission' and Evanescence's 'The Open Door'. I had such hope for both these albums, but they couldn't live up to my expectations.

Lostprophets just stopped screaming, instead choosing to assume a pop-rock sound. Just compare "We Still Kill The Old Way" and "Start Something" to "Can't Catch Tomorrow" and "A Town Called Hypocrisy". The sound is much too soft for my liking.

There's something about Evanescence's new album that just feels empty. 'Fallen' is one of my favorite albums because it had that dark, moody atmosphere to it that could give me shivers (see: "Hello"). I don't think Amy's vocals are up to par with that of previous Evanescence material, and I think from an instrumental point of view, they actually do miss Ben Moody. None of the songs from 'The Open Door' have the same impact as some of the songs from 'Fallen'.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Personally it's vice versa to me Mark with Evanescence. I prefer the newer stuff to the older stuff.

dragon ninja

dragon ninja Well-Known Member

I was unfortunately let down by the new Breaking Benjamin and Papa Roach. I really like Breaking Benjamin, they're also great live, but Phobia was generally pretty boring, and the Paramour Sessions was even worse. I'd just heard it all before. On the other hand, I've accepted Lostprophets as a fun album and it's up there as one of my favorites of 2006, I enjoy everything they've done up to this point.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Three words: Angels and Airwaves

Ant

Ant Ambient

lostprophets, hands down. I'd be lying if I said I didn't see that coming, though.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i thought they could pull it off - the first two discs where pretty damn good IMO.

however this cd did suck a little. still a good album though. but yeh it was the biggest let down for me..

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Trivium - The Crusade
    A good album with awesome instrumental work but Matt Heafy can't sing for shit. It makes me really annoyed that there's no screaming on the album because there are certain songs on the album that actualy need screaming and not Matt Heafy trying to pull off a copycat of James Hetfield vocals. Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno are a completly different class of music IMO.

Evanescence - The Open Door
    Some of the songs are quite good but on Fallen all of the songs were fucking amazing. I was really looking forward to hearing some new Evanescence but I was completly let down by this album

Angels And Airwaves - We Don't Need To Whisper
    2 good songs on the entire album. The rest all sounded pretty much the same. Plus 44 shits on the grave of this album.

But previously mentioned albums like Liberation Transmission by Lostprophets and The Paramour Sessions by Papa Roach I thought were quite good.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

The Killers // Sam's Town
    While I like "When You Were Young", "Bling (Confessions of a King)" and "Bones", this album lacks the spark and the catchy songs that their Hot Fuss album had. I was so looking forward to new music from them, but Sam's Town turned out to be a complete utter flop in my eyes. Horrible. Better luck next time.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Angels And Airwaves
    I thought it would be amazing, I listened to The Adventure almost everyday until the album leaked and I was really into Blink 182 again at that time... but We Don't Need To Whisper was a big letdown.

Deftones
    After all the interviews I was expecting an agressive album with a lot of energy, just like the early albums, but the album wasn't like that.
    It's slow and calm for most of it, and Pink Cellphone is a terrible song.

On the other hand, the drums on the album are amazing and it's kind of growing on me but it's still a letdown.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

I was so pissed when I got it...it was like a slap in the face...I mean...it just wasn't really deftones to me...I would've really enjoyed some more songs like headup or bored...hell...even change would've been cool...but...pink cellphone just ruined it for me...I mean...I couldn't help but lauch at the ending...but seriously...

my faves on that album are kimdracula and beware...but they still don't come anywhere near deftones best....:mellow:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The Bronx's second album was kind of disappointing. There were some great songs on it, but there were one or two that sounded like QOTSA without the weird stuff that I didn't like a great deal.

I thought the Lostprophets album would have been great if it was slightly less polished, and maybe a little harder. It's still my favourite album of theirs in that the other two are about 50% great and 50% bad, whereas this one didn't quite reach the highs of the previous two but it maintains a better standard.

The Deftones album is awesome. Most people seem to be disappointed just because they didn't record another Around The Fur or Adrenaline.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

You're damn right! :lol:

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

good point - i thought the other albums were now 75% good and only 25% bad however

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You guys are gonna laugh but...

DAUGHTRY - DAUGHTRY

Even though he was on American Idol (dead giveaway) this guy brought hard rock and screaming to the AI stage and it seemed that if he won he was going to give American Idol some balls. I bought the CD, and its a collection of whiny, watered down rock music that makes Meteora's lyrics seem well thought out and intelligent (I officially hate Meteora now as I feel it was watered down for the masses...just like Daughtry's CD). Big let down that he created pop-rock anthems to get sales rather than stay true to his roots.

---
    Then more seriously..

KINGDOM COME - Jay-Z
    While it is an all out enjoyable album in some parts and features tracks I listen to almost on a daily basis, there's something about this CD that just leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps its the fact that despite all of the talk of comeback, Jay-Z is still unable to touch the lyrical quality and pizazz that he emitted on his first CD "Reasonable Doubt". Half of the CD touches on his unbelievable amount of fame where in reality, the truly important and hard hitting songs on Kingdom Come (although their lasting impact is questionable) are the more serious or reflective tracks such as "Lost Ones", "Do U Wanna Ride" and "30 Something". Three tracks out of an entire CD isn't a good statement for someone who's been in the rap game for a decade and is now CEO of Def Jam.

And I also agree with Sam's Town just being an all out suck fest. The Killers are capable of way better than what was showcased there.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Yeah, I would say the majority of their first two albums is good as well. I just happened to type 50% at the time. :p

Link

Link lolwut

Killswitch Engage, Evanescence and Breaking Benjamin all let me down.

The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Crossfade - Falling Away

I was hoping Crossfade was going to build on their first album. I thought Invincible was a great song and I listened to it nonstop. But when I got the album it just pissed me off. I couldnt even listen to all of it. Now I dont even want to listen to Invincible. Crossfade is the biggest disappointment for me.

Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist

At first I was happy with the album but now I really cant listen to much besides HITE and Beware and those were the songs I listened to before I got the album. I really loved S/T and after reading all the things Chino was saying about it, I was excited. My initial impression was great but after more and more listens I find myself skipping more and more of the songs.

Evanescence - The Open Door

This was a big disappointment as well. I love Fallen and had high expectations for this album especially after Call me when you're Sober came out. Its the only song that has any replay value for me.

Trivium would have made the list but after a few more listens the last few days, its grown on me.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Yea that was pathetic. After the way Tom DeLonge went on about how he was making the greatest album of all time, it just makes it seem even worse.
    +44 pwns AVA
    :cloud:

Ant

Ant Ambient

heh, I'm probably the only one here, but I for one found +44 to be the letdown. It was just another pop-punk act with nothing new, IMO. But if you're into that thing, more power to you.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I dont think +44 was anything special, nothing on what blink-182 was, thats for sure. But when you compare it to AVA, it suddenly seems amazing. Just goes to show how boring AVA is.
    :cloud: