Biggest Surprises of 2006

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Derek, Jan 3, 2007.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This is different than the Best Album thread in the fact that while the aforementioned thread is list only, this thread is intended to discuss your biggest musical surprises of 2006. Discussion as to why you agree or disagree with certain things is welcome.

SNOOP DOGG - THE BLUE CARPET TREATMENT

One of the largest surprises (musically) of 2006 for me. I had grown disenchanted with Snoop Dogg over the years because while Doggystyle is one of the best rap albums ever created, Snoop's later albums eventually grew less gangsta and more mainstream until the forgettable Rhythm and Gangsta made him basically just like any other crap rapper on the billboard charts at the moment. Snoop must've seen this as he decided to finally reunite with Dre for this album and ended up completely blowing me away. The Blue Carpet Treatment is a direct return to the days of young Snoop, with Snoop appearing refocused and sharper with his delivery and lyrical content. Rather then devote an entire album to one of his favorite topics ('hoes') this album is pure gangsta and as result truly shines. For those who miss Snoop's Dr. Dre days and the quality of the beats that were featured back then, this album answers your complaints. Perhaps Snoop's not ready to retire just yet?

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE- THE BLACK PARADE

What can I say about this album that everyone hasn't already said about it? My Chemical Romance went from another angry emo band to a rock band that truly matters. Black Parade took any traces of emo that used to remain and said goodbye to them creating an album that I'm hard pressed not to call the best of 2006. And to show their emo days are over? Gerard Way says "The End" is a direct reference to their exit from the so called 'scene' which explains the "i'll sing it in drag" line featured there. MCR have evolved into something great and here's to hoping their next CDs are even better and more creative. Go MCR!

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade ranks high up there. Don't get me wrong, their last album was decent, mostly hit or miss, but this album...holy freakin' crap. Not only the best of 2006, but one of the best of all time IMPO.

Same goes for +44. I read what you said about AvA Derek, and yes...Mark and Travis's band owns better. I didn't expect much when I first heard the songs on their site, but this album actually rules.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
    I totally forgot about them actually, just one song made it to Belgian tv and hitlists... then this album came out and it's amazing!

I was surprised AVA's album sucked so much, but that doesn't could, does it?

Derek

The Black Parade just has a little bit of everything in it and I think that's what makes it such a damn great CD.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade: I definitely wasn't expecting what I got out of that album. I was really expecting another Three Cheers, and I didn't really like Three Cheers. I'll admit that I wasn't initially impressed with The Black Parade live on MTV, but I ended up really enjoying the album.

I can't say I really have any more suprises musically in 2006. Not that I recall anyway, but hopefully this thread will allow me to check out some things that I may have overlooked, like Snoop Dogg.

Link

Link lolwut

Audioslave surprised me. They just released one of my favorite albums ever in 2005, then they turn around in 2006 and release something that's so different but even better. I still listen to Revelations on a daily basis, probably will throughout '07.

The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

I didnt know what to expect from this after I read the interview about this being a concept album. I admit I wasnt excited when Welcome to the Black Parade first came out. I didnt like it at all. But when it came out, I got the album and kicked back and listened to it and was totally blown away. Now Welcome to the Black Parade is one of my favorite songs on the album.

Phobia was a great album but honestly it wasnt a surprise. Saturate and WANA are great albums as well and I wouldnt expect any less from BB. So while Phobia was a great album, its not a surprise.

Derek

Everyone loves MCR now lol. Holy shit..GO MCR!

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Not gonna lie, I went out and bought I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love after listening to The Black Parade. I'll probably end up getting the others too, but wow. MCR was a huge suprise to me.

Ark

Ark Active Member

I still don't like MCR- but that's just me :D

Papa Roach really suprised me with their new album, mostly because of the vocals. They were really different than their first three albums, when I heard the new songs, I could barely believe it was the same band.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade surprised me. It was a much better album that I was expecting by far. It's not the greatest but it sure did help their credibility with me. (Not that being credible with me means anything.) But it's a good album. I liked it a lot.

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

the new Motorhead album was surprisingly good.

dragon ninja

dragon ninja Well-Known Member

You know what, I'm going to go ahead and say John Mayer's Continuum really surprised me. I decided to go out on a limb and give it a listen, half expecting it to be more of his characteristic poppy love songs...and wow. It's really an amazing album, very deep, and it's getting respect from people I wouldn't expect at all. Continuum is up there with one of my best of 2006, and I really didn't see that coming.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Stone Sour - Come What(Ever) May
    I didn't like the first album that much so I wasn't expecting much on this album either. After hearing amazing songs like 30/30-150, Hell & Consequences and of course Through Glass on thier myspace I still wasn't expecting much on the album (after all, I felt that the first album only had 4 or 5 good songs). However I was pleasantly surprised because it's a near masterpiece IMO and there isn't a song on the album that I don't like.

Dr. Faust

Dr. Faust "Your Epitaph Will Be A Barcode"

I think 2006 was a good year for Death Metal comebacks, so I'm gonna say the new albums by Deicide and Suffocation will top the suprise list.

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

Suffocation's new album was really fucking good, but it wasn't a surprise considering some of the stuff they've put out in the past.

have you seen them live?

Detri

Detri Well-Known Member

Dead Poetic - Vices

For me, it's one of the best albums ever made. Tracks like Animals and Copy of a Copy keep me listening to it over and over. They carry many different sounds, drawing comparisons to many great notable bands, yet keep their own unique sound somehow.

It's good from beginning to end.

As far as MCR goes ... eh... no.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'll go on a limb and say... MCR. :lol:

What else can I say?

And in terms of sound, i was pleasantly surprised with (+44). From the previews of No It Isn't, I definitely didn't see this coming.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Damn everyone has mentioned this. But the new MCR album actually isn't bad. Whereas their old stuff, i hate it, can't stand listening to it for more than 10 seconds. Literally hurts my ears. Huge step forward by them.
    :cloud:

a life in ashes

a life in ashes mercury summer

Biggest surprises for me:

Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/Lovesounds

Justified had a few catchy songs, but wasn't worth the whole album. This on the other hand is what a pop/r'n'b record should sound like, it really pushes the boundaries of "pop" for me. Given my usual taste in music, I was pleasantly surprised to like this.

All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals

I was expecting a reasonably solid, but not all together memorable effort from them, a good album but sub-par to the new Killswitch effort. Boy was I wrong. Each song is really good, and you want to listen to it again and again. Beats Killswitch IMO.

Alexisonfire - Crisis

Having not really enjoyed their first two efforts I wasn't really interested in this. But after seeing everyone raving about it on the LPA I downloaded it. Now it's reguarly in my CD player. The perfect mix of melody and screaming, it was a really good example of how good screamo can be.