What Has Verizon Done? Clip of Single Surfaces

Discussion in 'News' started by Andrea, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

im just saying my opinion

but what i meant was that when HT came out it atrachted many different kind of people because of their combination of genres, some people liked their popier sound, others the hip hop part, other people loved their electronic samples, some liked the teen angst in their lirics and people like me loved their heavier aggresive sound...

and my last post wasn`t just based on the 30 sec clip, if you read the interviews they never talk about a fast song or screaming or a heavy part of the album, it only says that they're not nu metal anymore an that they're focusing on layering, and when i hear this pop rock almost Coldplay like song im gettin a little worried...

that always happens when a band changes their sound, you can`t make everybody happy, and they SEEM and i say SEEM to leave out their heavy aggressive sound that i loved, their last heavy single was Faint in 2003 :S

maybe im just worring to much and there will be some harder songs in the album...

maybe i should erase my previous mesagge, i wasn`t thinking clearly...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. EdGreene

EdGreene Well-Known Member

If they didn't mind releasing QWERTY, I think they still got a little edge in there somewhere.

3. Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but that excuse is getting REALLY old. I listen to many other bands, but I listened to LP because they were LP. They had a distinctive sound to them. In this clip (and I'm speaking about the CLIP only, so don't tell me that I'm being shallow minded and to wait for the full song), they changed their sound...to a more mainstream sound. But really...if I want that sound, I can listen to numerous other bands: Sum 41, Nickelback, etc. (It still didn't stop me from making a sig about it. It's a decent song, I just had expected more---and still may get it)

LP could've still changed their sound and had it be distinct, but from what I've heard so far, it sounds like many other bands today. (Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but we are used to LP taking it a step farther) I hold out hope that the album---and this song---still come out great, though.

4. Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I think I'm the only one that thinks this is nothing out of the ordinary for them and doesn't seem very different at all. Aside from the drums which is where I hear the most change.

I hope the rest of the song is as good as the clip though because I really like the clip.

5. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That doesn't change the fact that you're claiming they "changed their sound" based on 1/8th of a song.

Wait until you hear the full thing to start calling them generic. It can't be a "decent song" if you've only heard the chorus.

Lastly, claiming they've changed their sound to a more mainstream sound based on 30 seconds is ridiculous.

6. Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

Actually, that's exactly what I did. And I stated that I was merely commenting on the CLIP, so I don't see how my statement that the sound is different in the CLIP is 'ridiculous'. The clip, yes, is 30 seconds, which is why I said I was commenting on it alone.

7. arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

dam i wish this 30 sec clip never leaked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. dragon ninja

dragon ninja Well-Known Member

Wow, so I came home from a long day to find this. And I love it. It's Linkin Park, and I'm very glad that I didn't expect the song to sound a certain way because it makes it that much better for me. The guitars and melody are fantastic. If more people would just take the music for what it is and stop clamoring for rehashed music from the last 7 years, I think there would be alot less whining going on.

9. EdGreene

EdGreene Well-Known Member

Uh-oh. You dun pissed them off now...:shifty:

10. Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at how some people can't post an opinion around here without being berated and belittled by some of the others.

11. dragon ninja

Because it might be an irrational opinion?

12. Mark

Then perhaps you should examine the flow of how you write your posts, because you went from characterizing their sound as having become mainstream based on the clip, to describing it as an entire entity ("it's a decent song"), to saying it sounds like a bunch of other bands (still talking about the clip, I know).

I know you were talking about the clip, but I was commenting on the absurdity of forming any judgement about their new sound based on 30 seconds of an entire song and album.

13. arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

ok ill stop the whining, and ill wait to hear the entire album and then ill say my opinion but dont get mad if i think it sucks...

but i still hope it's great album, LP has never let me down actually...

14. Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

Giving an opinion on a CLIP, as I have stated many times previously, is fair game in my book. I didn't come out and say "omg wtf, this song sucks ass this album is gonna suck too". People always complain that the ones who dislike a song, album, etc. never back up their statements with a competent argument. I attempted to do that and here I still have it called 'irrational'. Irrational to you, perhaps, but I stated exactly what I was doing. I said I have hope for the album AND the rest of the VERY SAME SONG.

Anyways, I'm done discussing this. I don't want this to escalate into something bigger, it's stupid anyways.

(And @ Mark, yes, that was a slipup, I didn't mean to use the term 'song'. Sorry.)

15. dragon ninja

I was just playing devil's advocate. I know what you're trying to say. However, I still find the signature LP sound in there, and like everyone's saying, no one can really say until we hear the rest of the album. I think it's going to have something for everyone, and this makes me all the more excited.

16. Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I think arguing about a 30 sec clip is pretty fucking stupid. This clip may be amazing or it may suck to some people and when the full thing comes out, a lot of people could change their minds...but for now, who really gives a fuck? Just take it for what it is and the comments about it for what they are. There's no reason to go and tell people that they can't not like the song based on a 30 second clip when there are people saying they love the song based on the same clip.

It's hypocritical.

17. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

i agree that it says "to cross out what i've become" rather than "you crossed out ...". i also agree that chester's voice is better and that the guitar work is awesome! the lyrics are alright; they sound a bit generic; that chorus doesn't really go with "in this farewell, there is no blood, there is no alibi" (assuming it's from the same song) in my eyes, though. nonetheless, i really love what i'm hearing and i can't wait to hear more! ;D

18. Mark

It's not hypocritical if you haven't formed a standpoint on it yourself.

All I'm saying is: why not reserve judgement until you hear the entire thing? It's stupid to call it your favourite Linkin Park song or a terrible song based on a small fraction of a song where you haven't even heard the other half of the vocalist team yet.

19. Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

The clip is decent but it honestly sounds like sometihng I would expect in a Chester solo album. But I mean it is only like 1/16th of the entire song so its far to early to judge it.

Edit: Oh shit the clip is 30 seconds so that means it is possibly 1/8th of the song providign it is 4 minutes long.

20. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

...When HASN'T Linkin Park been mainstream? Nu metal was mainstream during the periods of both Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but now it's kinda dying off. I'm not saying Linkin Park are nothing but trend followers, but come on, for a band to stay successful they almost have to roll with the times. Bands have been doing it for years, when glam rock became big in the 80s, a lot of the bands that were doing heavier stuff in the 70s moved toward a more pop/glam rock style. When grunge got big in the 90s thanks to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam, other bands followed suit. Look at other nu metal bands, Disturbed's last album was a big departure from what they had been doing, Korn just did MTV Unplugged, Story of the Year went from being kinda a typical mainstream rock band to being a lot more metal...the list goes on. LP aren't the only ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.