Put Them Out Of Their Misery...On Your Phone!

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Sounds decent so far. Digging the chorus.

maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

Since fuckin Warner Bros. is so damn paranoid about songs being on youtube, like when clips of "What I've Done" were leaked, a 30 sec. "Given Up" sample, and the video for "What I've Done", they were taking them off and shutting down fansites! Now they're going against what they want, and what Linkin Park wants, by leaking parts of the song. It's not a bad thing for me though, but LP didnt want the stuff leaked..and by their own label too..eh oh well, hopefully Warner Bros will release the rest of the song then.

Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Whoa.. I think this one song can tackle metora pretty fucking hard :D

JoMe

JoMe Well-Known Member

To add a little more words to my first post. Given Up doesn't sound bad - I like the chorus to be honest. But the growling just seem "wrong" to me, at least it doesn't appeal to me. I know that a lot of people would love to see Linkin Park get more darker and heavier, that's just not the case for me. I love the rapping by Mike and I love Chester's singing, even the songs he's singing alone. But growling/heavy screaming has never appealed to me - I've never liked it and I don't think I will ever do so it.
    I don't like that particular change in LP's sound but I am looking forward to the album even though, WID is very good and even though we've just had 6 seconds of Bleed It Out it sounded interresting.

LinkinParkHotspur

LinkinParkHotspur Well-Known Member

kinda confused

I'm kinda confused about the two versions. Obviously, the one that is slightly over one minute isn't the full version but is the cell phone version the full version that will be on the album? I basically dragged across the entire thing and I guess it was about a little over 3 minutes which is how long it's supposed to be. However, it sounded like whenever I dragged, it would repeat some of the parts. Also, besides the chorus, there really wasn't much substance to the song. Other than the chorus, there is pretty much just excessive screaming and then "put me out of my miserryyyyyyyy!" Is there actually any other lyrics to the song? I'm hoping...

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

^ The cellphone version is the one minute long version...

There will be more lyrics to it.

LinkinParkHotspur

LinkinParkHotspur Well-Known Member

ok

Ok, so just to make sure, your saying that the cell phone version and the alternate version that was posted are pretty much the same thing, right?

"For those who are big fans of the latest Linkin Park song "Given Up", Warner Brothers have LEGALLY released a new longer sized clip of the song Given Up on their ring tone making website."

Ok, so nevermind. I missed the part that said it was a new longer sized clip which means it's not the full version. Looks like I'll still have to withhold the final judgement. The song didn't neccesarily get too much worse from the original 30 second clip. The reason it sounds maybe worse is because the only things added are a bunch of screaming and then "put me out of my misery." The rest of the lyrics are really going to decide for me whether it's just a little better than Qwerty or whether it's a good song. I'm getting a serious good idea now of what their plans are for this album though. And I'm still not worried.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

That's a very interesting clip. It's extremely RAW and defintely has a garage band feel to it. I guess no one can say LP makes overly polished music anymore.

EagleMorph

EagleMorph Well-Known Member

Warner Bros. just doesn't want the stuff released ILLEGALLY.

They want the oppurtunity to make as much of a profit as possible. It's not about making the songs available or not, it's about marketing and making money. They didn't want "What I've Done" out before they released the video and struck deals with the likes of Fuse and MTV, and on the radio side, with Clear Channel and XM/Sirius.

They don't want "Given Up" or "Bleed It Out" out there on free sites until they've finished contracts with the likes of Boost Mobile and all the other cellphone companies.

They do have that right...whether Linkin Park actually sees much of that profit is a discussion for another time, but it is part of the marketing campaign to promote Linkin Park.

Chip

Chip Well-Known Member

I think its too screamish for my taste. Theres definitely going to be diversity on the album, but it doesnt look like Ill like this song so much.

mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

dude jnudda how'd you download that? I can see where you take the swf and make it an flv, import it into macromedia flash, but then what? if it connects to the internet, how'd you get a direct mp3 rip?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't know why everyone's saying the guitars are awesome. They're really simple. Brad's barely stepped his game up at all. Disappointed.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I have to agree with Will on this. From what we've heard, he plays differently, but it hasn't improved. But who knows, there are other tracks.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

for people who complaining about the screaming you shouldn't worry becuase apparently this is a ballad heavy album. And this isn't the first time linkin park have done a screaming bridge like this, but they usually start with whispering first (i think thats only 1 or 2 songs though) but yeah they've done screaming bridges like that before. The palm muting or whatever technique brad's using sounds awesome.

It's a bit early but.. anyone got tabs?

chaosblade

chaosblade Well-Known Member

I think brad's playing has be discussed to death already, But hey.. He plays what works for LP, Not self-climax-slash style stuff. Thats what i think, At least.

maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

yeah, Brad's guitar skills arent bad at all, hes good for Linkin park though..not any other band in my opinion.

cle127

cle127 Well-Known Member

I will have to agree with Will too, about brad's still not really improving much on his guitar parts. Notice that the chorus for given up are using the same chord progression as What Ive Done? He reused the same chords only of different octaves. And Im not sure if you guys notice something, the chords for the bridge of given up, mainly uses the same few notes that corresponds to those of lying from you, qwerty opening intro as well as the instrumental A.06 track.
    They are basically just the same few notes just rearranging them here and there.

But its all hard to say, but hopefully in other songs from MTM will show case more of Brad's guitar talents.

life_drainer_04

life_drainer_04 Member

i have the same opinion ...thats why i was scared of lp changing their style...cause...even if i`m a big fan...i don`t think their instrumentals are that complicated and dont need huge skills...

thefaceinside

thefaceinside Member

:blink: since when does linkin park curse? and what's with chester's new vocal style?

it's too different...it's making me nervous...

20. Nothin*2*lose

Nothin*2*lose Well-Known Member

Ohhhh I love this frickin song!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.