What was wrong with Meteora?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Agent, Sep 14, 2006.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

was anything truely wrong with meteora?no.it solds millions and millions of albums.something many bands would be proud of.and stillwe as LP fans saw its sales as a failure, thinking it hadf every right to live up to an album like HT.in many ways it did.it had its hits such as breaking the habit, numb and somewhere i belong.and it had its non single songs that touched many of us.fact is, i think people wanted to much from LP after they delivered so fulfillingly with HT.there is always the hype surrounding a new band with a new sound like LP had in 2000. but 3 years on meteora had the same formula and,though it was one of the best albums ive heard, we sadly all are not fanatics of LP and people do get bored of similar music after 4 years.not saying it was any worse than HT though.both have there moments and hits but both have different aspects and such...both awesome

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Album sales do not necessarily an awesome album make.

This has been discussed to death for the past 4 years.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

britney spears sold a lot, bud; what do you have to say about that? :D as said, album sales don't make an album good. but i agree; "hybrid theory" was awesome and "meteora" was excellent in its own right. or something.

Blsbball

Blsbball Member

They didnt vary anything alot of the tracks sounded like those off of ht

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

As a sophomore album it didn't bring too much new stuff I guess...but the album itself was an album of pure bliss.

So why isn't there a thread on how much people favour Meteora yet?

lp4k3

lp4k3 Member

for myself i didnt see or hear anything wrong with Meteora, but its just my opinion.

It had some brilliant tracks on it, Numb, Figure.09, From The Inside, Lying From You, Dont Stay to name a few.

People were expecting the same thing as Hybrid Theory and when they didnt get it, it was seen as a disappointment and a failed attempt at a second LP, dont get me wrong it was no where near as Outstanding as HT but it was brilliant never-the-less.

Meteora is still in my top 10 albums of all time.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

but i think its fair to say britney spears does not have a genuine adult market. Most of her sales come from teeny boppers wanting to own whats "cool", where as the majority of LP sales come from people who genuinely want to hear good music, not trashy dime-a-dozen stuff.

Im not sure what Britney's sales numbers were, and I could be wrong about this, but I doubt if she came close to meteora.

lparks41

lparks41 Well-Known Member

The problem was that it came out second. It had to live up to Hybrid Theory and was compared to it more then all of the other records because of that. Hybrid Theory and Meteora are on about the same level of greatness to me and I think Meteora is under rated actually, it deserves a lot more then people give credit to it, so it's kind of like the under dog of the Lp cd collection.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

LP wont make another cd that will hit you like Hybrid Theory did, albums like that come along once in a while and they change that music scene all together, hybrid theory did that, it was seamless, and its a MUST have in anyones music collection

Roubin

Roubin Well-Known Member

Nothing was wrong with Meteora, comercially. But the album itself, even though I love it, was a copy of Hybrid Theory, while fans were waiting for something different instead of repeating the formula.

That´s my honest opinion.

The_Catalyst

The_Catalyst Active Member

I didn't like it, because of the songs all sounding the same. All the songs also just sounded like noise. With MTM or HT, you get melody. Other than Faint, I thought it was terrible.

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

I thought people wanted basically the same thing from Linkin Park since its their 'sophomore' album which should sound similar to Hybrid Theory. I mean it isn't like the very next album would be a sudden twist in sound change to something like jazz or the terrible music I've never listened to. Meteora just couldn't beat Hybrid Theory's excellency in the fusion of hip-hop and hardrock and so it was frowned upon. Meteora is generally overrated and a big issue I also see is the usage of too much guitars and not enough hip-hop beats so it got tiring.

gozorninplat

gozorninplat A Person

And the problem is, if Meteora had sounded completely different from Hybrid Theory, the fans would have been upset about that too. For some people there's just no way for them to be pleased. I personally think there isn't anything wrong with Meteora. What matters to me is that a song sounds good. I don't get too technical when listening and worry about things like song structure. Technicalities are what's wrong with this world!

Anyways, that's just my opinion.

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

Whoops, I mean underrated and not overrated. Meteora is underrated.

obb

obb Active Member

Well both albums are equal for me . M2M beats both right away :p . That is just my opinion.

The first song of LP that I listened was Breaking the Habit , so it's my all time favorite.

The point is that the first thing you listen of a band , it just sticks to your mind .

HT is responsible for what LP is today . I don't think Meteora would be able to do what HT did.

The_Catalyst

The_Catalyst Active Member

Agreed.
    It also seemed like Linkin Park got lazy. They knew Meteora would sell very well, due to the great success of Hybrid Theory. They thought they could put out lackluster tracks, and get away with it. That's why Minutes to Midnight was so good, since they knew true fans wouldn't accept songs that sucked. They tried their hardest with MtM.

I got off track. Anyway, LP got lazy, and that's the story in a nutshell.

Radish

Radish Guest

Meteora is great, sure it has a heap of Hybrid Theory elements (...A LOT)
    But i think that's what makes it so cool. It's the same type of music, only more kind of "advanced" in recording and more into the future.
    I don't see reason to complain about how Meteora was "soooooo much" like Hybrid Theory though. I mean, yeah it's good to discuss that theres lots of similarities, but it's not meant to be about that. Yeah, they probably did cheat and think that their success off Hybrid Theory would make Meteora a success since they sounded similar, but does it really matter? I listen to Meteora and Enjoy the music instead of taking note of what other sing it may sound like. Even if By Myself and Figure .09 have the same bridge (I never actually realized that until i read the first few pages), i don't think it matters. They're still both fantastic songs.

By The i wasn't trying to offend those who listen for the similarities and stuff :ermm: (That could be cool but i prefer to listen for enjoyment if that makes sense..?) , just voicing my opinion.

It's true though, you can barely hear the bass and it has a lack of creativity in some tracks, but i still think it's a killer album.

Penny

Penny LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Nothing was wrong with Meteora!But I agree with you:the music was almost the same with Hybrid Theory and some people didn't like this.

obb

obb Active Member

Now when LP changed their style in M2M people (critics) don't like that either. :|

20. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Critics seem to be all over the place on MTM
    Meteora reviews were worse, werent they?