Review Minutes To Midnight

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Luke, May 6, 2007.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Bet you he can. :lol:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

New Sound Leads To Exciting New Possibilities

To tell you the truth, this was the album that was going to make or break me as a fan of Linkin Park. I've been a fan of this band since fall of 2000, and since then I've followed them very closely. Even as a staff member on a Linkin Park fansite, I've questioned in the past whether I was interested in this band anymore. My musical tastes have broadened and drastically changed in the seven years since I began listening to Linkin Park. Not only that, but in mine and many other fans' opinions, Meteora had left questions as to whether this band's creative juices were all dried up. Would they become one of those "period" bands defined by the decade they were prominent in, or would they become a "generational" band defined by a lifetime of success? Would they become "passé" or would they maintain their relevance?

The choices Linkin Park made going into the recording of their new album will ultimately end up as the determining factors as to whether this band will be viewed as a "period" or "generational" band. I believe they've taken a step to be the latter. The band has thankfully realized that the nu-metal/rap-rock genre is dead, and moving forward with a Hybrid Theory pt. 3 would be a career-killing mistake. They could have taken the easy route and tried to re-revitalize this squallid genre, a move that has worked for them in the past. They could have stuck with what was familiar and successful. But kudos to Linkin Park for leaping into the unknown with a new sound that can only be described as a complete schizophrenic turnaround in comparison to older material. A new sound that opens hundreds of doors to expand their musical horizons past their previous achievements. Yes, Linkin Park fans, this is an exciting time: a time for unlimited possibilities. No longer can this band be pigeon-holed.

However, the album is by no means a perfect album: it has it's ups and downs. But within these ups and downs is a beacon of hope: this band is actually trying something new! They're not calling "experimentation" a japanese flute anymore. They're not sticking to the same song structure formula that was blatantly prevalent over their first two albums. They're not tuning the guitars to "crunch" and letting powerchords take over the songs. They're not being as excruciatingly vague with their lyrics as they used to be. They're actually different! They're trying new things! How can you not be excited about their willingness to change and evolve as musicians?

To the album itself: I think it's a step in the right direction. This album is a progressive album. It's the step along the way to something amazing. I have much more faith in this band now that I've heard Minutes To Midnight than I did in the four years of cautious optimism that plagued me from Meteora's release to before I heard the new album. I'm going to say something I haven't said since 2002's Reanimation: Linkin Park have impressed me!

I'm not going to go through each and every track because this review is already getting long, but I give this album an 8/10. The band gets an A for effort, however. Songs like the socially-concious (see: not political) "Hands Held High" and "The Little Things Give You Away" are signs of maturity in the band's songwriting. "In Pieces" has a great little ditty of a solo, a sign of improvement from guitarist Brad Delson. Mike Shinoda plays less of a role on the album vocally, but "Bleed It Out" and the aforementioned "Hands Held High" are standout tracks that welcome back the Mike we loved from 'Hybrid Theory', even if it is at a reduced airtime. Chester's vocals have drastically improved to become more pure and soaring than ever, especially on songs like "What I've Done" and "Leave Out All The Rest". His screams, although less prominent than ever, are still piercing, including a ridiculous 16-second nut-buster in the punky "Given Up". Overall, the songs are more atmospheric in nature than ever, adding even more layers of sound than before. The band has made an album that cannot be defined by a decade, and that is an accomplishment in itself considering what the doomsdayers had predicted for this band when told of a follow-up to this album. I didn't think they had it in them, so kudos to them for proving me wrong.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Okay here it goes (I promise it'll be short) i'm not gonna give ratings i'll just tell you i liked the album

Wake:
    I like the way it builds and the piano sounds nice. I'd advise you to listen to the bass in the heavy bit, i like it.

Given Up:
    It's pretty heavy and i like the chord proggresion, i'll admit i am a fan of screaming bridges and chester's huge and long scream is awesome (anyone timed it?). The ending is a bit sudden though, but i don't mind.

Leave out all the rest:
    I like the feel of this song and it's a good break from the heavy song before. I also like the piano chords over the verses.

Bleed it out:
    This is probably my favorite song on the album. I love the pace and mike's raps give the song alot. Chesters bridge after the 2 mike verses is really good and it sounds like they had alot of fun on this song (it said that in the booklet aswell)

Shadow of the day:
    As with most songs on the album i like the build up of the song. I think it has more on the similar sounding "with or without you" by U2 which alot of people would disagree with because of the name U2.

I'm not commenting on What I've Done because i've heard it too many times it's unfair.

Hands Held High:
    Mike is back and is great, but the chorus and ending singing gets stuck in my head all the time i can just hear it now "With hands held high into....". I like the bits about Bush even though i'm an aussie i always rap along with mike on the "what'd he say?"

No More Sorrow:
    The guitar and drums on this song are the highlight. It's really heavy although it doesn't get to over the top even with the thieves and hypocrytes bit.

Valentines Day:
    Great build up as usual to the "On valentines day" bit. It's a slow ballad and i really like the guitar, drum beat and the piano bit before the climax. I think piano chords have taken over and kicked the bassist out because i can't hear Pheonix on the album.

In Between:
    Mike's voice is better than i expected it to be and i like the violins. It could easily go metal after the accidental (musical term) before the chorus. Unfortunately unlike most songs there is no real build up.

In Pieces:
    I really like this song. The song is somewhere between a normal rock song and ballad, it could easily be heavier though i don't care because the awesome guitar solo kills everything. One of my favorite linkin park songs at the moment.

The Little Things Give You Away:
    This song was hyped so much but i don't know if it lived up to it or not because i don't listen to many songs like this. I really like this song though and the solo is great. I also really like the chorus "All you've ever wanted..." and it ends in a great way to wrap up the album.

Very close to a perfect album.

Jem

Jem Member

I've only managed to listen to the album once since I'm a bit tied up with work. The album as a whole does not grab my attention as much as Hybrid Theory & Meteora did.

Being a hardcore LP fan, I'm prepared to listen and appreciate whatever the band has to offer. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the album very much as LP has never disappointed me

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

So Mike sings all throughout No Roads Left?

Well why didn't they put that one on the MTM album and cross off In Between. Then my overall grade for the album would have improved. As I know Mike can sing much better than he did on In Between - which was a mediocre performance.

mofo

mofo New Member

I just listened to the album, and I Really enjoyed it. But I'm missing the rock/hip hop mix. The Rap parts of mike shinoda are almost completely gone. But i thought that was what made LP so special.
    But still this album ROCKS :p

bdubz

bdubz New Member

quick review and brutal truth:

WAKE: crap, totally pointless.

GIVEN UP: best song on cd.

LEAVE IT OUT TO THE REST: horrific

BLEED IT OUT: great song.

SHADOW OF THE DAY: crap.

WHAT IVE DONE: great.

HANDS HELD HIGH: terrible

NO MORE SORROW: great

VALENTINES DAY: good

IN BETWEEN: this song by far is the worst song on the cd. my ass can my a better sound when I take a shit.

IN PIECES: just shit

THE LITTLE THINGS GIVE YOU AWAY: title is stupid, and this goes for the song as well

overall: 5 out of 10. there are great songs and there are shitty songs, but theres no in between. all i have to say is... what happened to you linkin park? your old cds i could listen straight through, definitely not this one.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
    Foreshadowed_LP

And that is one of the most R-Tarded reviews I have ever read. No explanation or depth into why you dislike the album.

Next time, explain more.

And I respect your opinion but you can't claim this to be the 'brutal truth' and some people will slate you for that.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

People will slate YOU for almost using a forbidden word in your response...

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'm going to have to warn you for using the word "retarded" (see rules), but I'll have to agree that that review had little-to-no-intelligence whatsoever.

Funny how the only songs he likes are the ones that have any resemblance to older Linkin Park.

The band knew they were going to lose fans when they started crafting this new album. Hopefully, they lose those with close-minded remarks.

The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

i probably would have trashed this album after my first listen but i gave it time and tried to let it sink in. i browsed all the reviews and what everyone was saying about the album and i so wanted to trash it myself but it was just one listen. over the past week ive listened to it many times in its entirety and then just different songs by themselves. this album has really grown on me. i tried to not think about how lp used to be and just listen to it for the music and everything else. songs like little things and shadow of the day have really grown on me.

i think you are really dead on in your assessment on the album and i agree with just about everything you said. the only thing i dont agree on is hands held high isnt a standout track imo. in fact both hands held high and in between are the only tracks i cant really get into. its funny cause no roads left is a really good song and it sucks that it wasnt on the album.

i was really pissed at first because of the ballads but listening to them over and over again just makes them so much better. i know that this wont be my favorite linkin park album but it definitely is a step in the right direction. im really anxious to see where they go from here.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
    Foreshadowed_LP

Sorry guys, didn't mean to put retarded in that sense, so I will not use it again in future reference.

But what he said really got under my skin as the only songs he seemed to prefer were songs the old school Linkin Park would create.

Apologies once again.

But I do not apologise for my opinion on his post.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Don't worry about it mate, I got warned for exactly the same thing a while back, just try to be a bit more careful in future. ;)

Obviously you either didn't read or didn't give a crap about the first post in this thread in which I clearly asked for somewhat intelligent reviews. Your review is another clear example of what shouldn't be in this thread. If you didn't really care much for the album then all I ask is for your criticism and comments to be constructed in a well-mannored review, otherwise no one will really give a toss about it because it seems like it was written by a 7 year old.

EdGreene

EdGreene Well-Known Member

My take after my listen all the way through:
    Wake: Good but I wish it was a bit longer like ASP. 7/10
    Given Up: Great song to start the CD, would have liked to have seen a bridge verse. 8/10.
    L.O.A.T.R.: Great, sounds like the All-American Rejects, but 5x better. 9/10.
    Bleed It Out: Current favorite song, couldn't love it more. The new Faint. 10/10.
    Shadow of the Day: Not great, but definitly not bad, a little long. 7/10.
    What I've Done: Good, again, but not great, cool mini-solo. 7/10.
    Hands Held High: This may take a while to like, but I like the Amen's. 6/10.
    No More Sorrow: A little basic, but great sound, great chorus. 8/10.
    Valentine's Day: Great concept, but too long to get into. 7/10.
    In Between: Don't care what anyone thinks, can't get it out of my head, great. 9/10.
    In Pieces: Best bridge ever. Rest of the song is pretty good. 8/10.
    T.L.T.G.Y.A.: Really good song. Very mature. A little awkward. 7/10.
    No Roads Left: Haven't heard it yet.

Mathmatical Average: Exactly 7.
    Album Ranking: Between 7.5 and 8.5, if this is their new direction, then I hope they perfect it on the next record. If not, then this was a great one-off. Either way, good job, guys, well worth it. Not perfect, but nothing is.

general41391

general41391 Well-Known Member

Love love love the new album.

After first listen I give it a high B.

I love "In Between"...it is amazing!

I also love the beat on "In Pieces"

this is just such a smash hit album! Go LP

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

When I read L.O.A.T.R. I first thought what the fuck does Lord Of The Rings have to do with LP :lol:

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS COS I'M ONE STEP CLOSER TO THE EDGE AND I'M ABOUT TO BREAK!!!" :lol:

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

Okay, so I got the album today. And, wow. I was worried to listen to it judging by some reviews on the forums, but I absolutley loved it. I thought it was great. I love the way Linkin Park changed themselves. I really have no complaints about this album! ^_^

TvT Enigma

TvT Enigma New Member

I must say I'm loving the album too. I don't mind the change in sound at all it just shows hiw versatile they are.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Louis' Review of Minutes to Midnight

Track by Track Analysis

01 :: Wake

This intro track is certainly an interesting track. At first, it reminds me of the Fort Minor intro, unless (this is in my opinion), it isn’t blatantly ruined by a voiceover from Jay-Z. The sudden build-up is certainly interesting, and from there the power just grows, even after the track fades into Given Up. The guitar is great and the bass line is pretty cool, I must say. I give this 4/5 stars.

02 :: Given Up

This is definitely a defining moment on the album that shows that the Linkin Park you once knew is gone. This song has a punk feeling to it and it just has this aggressive drive and it makes you wonder, in a sense, why they needed someone like Mike to fill in the verses. The bridge just blows me away. Despite how simplistic the hatred is in the bridge, it is amazing and really sends the message it’s trying to send. I give this 4/5 stars.

03 :: Leave Out All the Rest

This song begins the farewell that Linkin Park is giving to the world. This soft ballad shows a side to Linkin Park that has never been revealed: A soft, emotional side with some intelligence. It also shows Chester’s voice as something more than just pushing and screaming; a soft, kind of soothing voice which grows into a powerful voice that doesn’t need to push and be aggressive. It’s a change. This song isn’t unique, though. Had it been so, I would have appreciated it a lot more. I give this 3/5 stars.

04 :: Bleed It Out

This song is kind of the “reflection” of the album. It shows a similar structure to songs from previous records. It is certainly different. The guitar is different. It’s more complex. It has a U2 feeling to it. We’re done with those power chords, ladies and gentlemen. Its drive and catchiness make it a notable piece of work on the album. I give this one 5/5.

05 :: Shadow of the Day

This is a song that really stood out to me on the record. Of course, the opening beat is very much like the beat to U2’s With or Without You. The song itself resembles that song, but somehow has a different feel to it. Maybe it’s Chester’s voice or something else, but there’s a different feel. It’s a feeling that you get lost in, but in a really good way. The way this song builds up gives me chills and the solo is just beautiful and fitting. It is an outstanding effort. Without a doubt, I give this one 5/5.

06 :: What I’ve Done

What really stands out to me in this song is the drum beat, as well as the lyrics. As simplistic and, well, Linkin Park-like as they are during the chorus, the lyrics in the verse are certainly different from previous works. They fit well with the song and they make the song more enjoyable. Chester’s voice in this song has a perfect balance of softness and aggressiveness. I give this song 4/5.

07 :: Hands Held High

This song is one of the more interesting tracks on the record. The music is powerful and it has a “march” feeling to it. I just wish the snare drum didn’t sound as simple. There should have been more of an echo feeling to it, or a “far away” feeling to it, so to speak. The lack of a “far-away” snare feeling is made up for with Mike Shinoda’s powerful lyrics and the power of the chorus singing “Amen”. And the lasting lyrics are beautiful and close the song well. I give this one 3.5/5.

08 :: No More Sorrow

This song shows a side of Linkin Park not seen before: a politically driven side. This song is as political as it gets. The music and the lyrics are strong and really give the “Fuck you” to the government with a nice finger gesture to top it off, like icing on a cake. Chester’s control over his aggressiveness in this song is incredible, making this song as powerful as it is. The guitars are aggressive as well, and the drums back them up well. This song pretty much completes the farewell. I give it 5/5.

09 :: Valentine’s Day

Chester’s voice in this song it was really stands out. Other than that, the music is just nice. It’s not really anything special, I guess. The lyrics are emotional and obviously show Chester’s “How could this have happened?” opinion on his divorce (sorry to bring up the personal issues). The whole Valentine’s Day thing, though, is kind of cheesy. Sorry to say, but it kind of takes the emotion of the song and just kind of puts it in a basket with a bunch of expired cheese. Although it’s still powerful, its power is just stinky cheese. I know it’s a bad way to describe it, but hopefully you see what I mean. I give this song 3/5.

10 :: In Between

Unfortunately, despite how wonderful Mike’s voice is in this song, it’s not a song I particularly enjoy. The lyrics are great and all, but I don’t really like the music and I think the lyrics are too repetitive. A good effort by Mike, though. I give this song a 2.5/5.

11 :: In Pieces

This is another one of my favorites on the record. I like the choice of instrument at the beginning. I think the beat is pretty spiffy. Also, I think the lyrics are portrayed really well by Chester. He seems to balance out, once again, the softness and aggressiveness of his voice. The guitar solo, as well as the guitar itself throughout the song, is pretty spiffy and it fits in the song well. It’s not the best on the record, but it stands out. I give this one 3.5/5.

12 :: The Little Things Give You Away

Personally, I don’t feel that I have to explain myself on this one. This song is beautiful and, without a doubt, one of the best songs Linkin Park has ever made and released. The acoustic guitar is beautiful, the lyrics are powerful, and the solo is amazing. This was an incredible effort by Linkin Park and this is another defining moment on the album where the Linkin Park you once knew is gone, and that Linkin Park is transitioning into a versatile band that is more capable of making incredible music. This song is a definite 5/5.

Overall Album Review:
    I think this album is Linkin Park’s best release to date. It has ousted what Linkin Park was known for and has made them much more respectable. I am proud of Linkin Park and what they have done with this record, and it makes me excited for the works ahead. Congratulations, Linkin Park, for making a wonderful, inspiring record. Overall, this album is a 3.985/5, which really rounds up to a 4/5.

If you haven’t, buy this record. It is amazing.