Hands Held High

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Tom, May 18, 2007.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I think we've discovered LP's most controversial song yet.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

the ending and the rap is just amazing

spikeshinizle

spikeshinizle Well-Known Member

I love the song, sure the lyrics are political and 'one way', but they could be a lot worse. As far as I can tell (and this is totally my opinion of course) the song is like a plea to some higher power, not necessarily God, but whatever you want. While "amen" may have Christian themes attached to it, dont a lot of people say "Amen to that" if they agree with something?
    Again, I really like the song, it has a cool vibe to it, kinda angelic.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

The music is quite simple but still it brings out a real strong message (lyricly and musicaly). Way to go Mike ;)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

i compared this song to "kenji". and there's more of a personal touch in "kenji" and the beat is probably better but the singing in "hands held high" makes it good. ;) i don't dig the major key too much, though. but it does make me think of a soldier's homecoming, which is, i hear, what the song goes for.

it's funny because mike said he made a fort minor album to express things he didn't feel he could express as part of a six-man band. and then they do this song. :D

Fox

Fox Love & Trolls LPA Super Member

Yup, you are right.
    But I think that if they have added a true chorus then the song would have been too wordy, since Mike's rapping are very long.

The song is perfect as it is and the lyrics are beautiful.
    It's between politics and what happening around the world, around us.
    I'm proud of Mike.

^_^

21 Stiches

21 Stiches Banned

I don't think it's the best song on MTM, but it's really great. It's not something that I ever expected to be on an LP album, but I think that's why I like it so much. The lyrics are my favorite part of the song.

lpkornfan22

lpkornfan22 Well-Known Member

i dont really think that the "amens" sound cheesy
    i feel that they fit really well into the song
    but hey
    its just my personal opinion
    :)

The_Catalyst

The_Catalyst Active Member

I think the Amens are good for the song. Not a make or break thing, but a nice addition to it. The lyrics are good. I think it isn't as good as the other "rap" song on M2M, "Bleed It Out", but it's still great.

EMI

EMI New Member

i like this song very much! i like te political theme of it, i like Mike's rap! it's really good song, one f my favs!

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

The only thing I like about it's place on the tracklist. First comes Mike's very powerfull Bush bashing song (Hands Held High) and then comes Chester version (No More Sorrow), also very powerfull.

Radish

Radish Guest

Yeah, i think this is one of their best songs yet. Mike's rapping is great, the Amens are completely different to anything on HT or Meteora and they make it sound awesome, and Mikes singing at the end is fantastic! GO MIKE (And the rest of LP :p)

JamarKnows

JamarKnows Member

Great song. Screw all the people who say its church music crap.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

I love this song. Yeah maybe a little cheesy in the chorus, but good song all the same. It has a strong message, but seems to "Fort minor" for an LP record

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Break for me!

TheCure

TheCure Member

I think this is by far one of the best songs on the album, if not in general for LP. I don't think the Amens are corny. They're there to make a point, I think. Overall, this is one of Mike's best raps. It almost makes up for the fact he's not lead on many of the tracks.

I think some of you are forgetting "The Rising Tied" was a perfect compliment album to LP fans. Even though it was just Mike, it still had the same type of sound. It was easy for myself and a couple of my friends to slide into it. It felt good... nicely worn.

I agree with whoever said HHH sounds a bit like "Kenji." It's odd, but that's also my favorite song from TRT.

These lyrics are priceless:
    "Risk something, take back what's yours / Say something that you know they might attack you for / Cause I'm sick of being treated like I have before / Like it's stupid standing for what I'm standing for / Like this war's really just a different brand of war / Like it doesn't cater the rich and abandon poor"

Right on.

emceehahn

emceehahn Member

nicely done by mike who made LP sounds like FM :angry:

Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

I love Hands Held High, it's definitely one of my favorite songs on the album. I love the rapping, the ''hands held high into a sky so blue as the ocean opens up to swallow you'' part, and most of all I love the militant style drumming. ;)

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

"Its ironic at times like this you pray, but a bomb blew the mosque up yesterday"

I don't live in a country where that sort of thing happens, but that line is incredibly powerful, 'cos its so true.

Radish

Radish Guest

Amen to that! ^_^