Critical Sevenfold

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Friskey™, Aug 20, 2007.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Part 1 or 2? Or both :lol:?

A7X leaving the "scene" is worse than Trivium doing likewise, in my opinion. Ascendancy had shitty lyrics, but the rest was good. So, The Crusade obviously sucked in comparison. But A7X HAD good lyrics, hence it's more disappointing to see them "stoop" to this.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think both parts are equally amazing, especially when they play them with no break at a show. :lol:

And I'd agree thoroughly. Those were (keyword: were) two of my favorite bands before they changed their styles.

Daniel

Ditto, to both parts. I just find it kind of ironic that even Kerrang!, who hyped The Crusade up like it was the best thing since sliced bread, had to admit it wasn't that great, giving it 3/5. Which is still rather generous :lol:.

Will

It's far more than generous. I mean, I love the instrumentation, and the lyrics are ace, but without the screaming, that album might as well be Simple Plan. :lol:

Daniel

:lol: as much as Matt (Heafy) says he doesn't sound like a James Hetfield clone, he's wrong. Problem is, it's a very, very bad Hetfield clone. And the lyrics got worse too, I mean, This World Can't Tear Us Apart? Oh God.

Which is why it pains me to see the new A7X album might be worse than The Crusade :(

Will

Yeah. I'll agree with you there. I mean, I like the lyrics on The Crusade, but they're nothing compared to Ascendancy or even... um, that first album. :lol:

Daniel

Ember to Inferno? :lol:

Why is it that (modern) bands actually seem to get WORSE as time goes by?

Hurrah for us taking over this thread :lol:

Will

I don't know. When I'd first heard Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, I thought it was amazing. Then Waking the Fallen blew me away. City of Evil was alright, but lacked the lyrical punch I love about music that actually means something to the person who's writing the lyrics. That's not to say M. Shadows didn't feel any emotion when writing the lyrics, because "M.I.A." was about something important to him, etc. But I think their new album is just going to have mainstream-rock type lyrics, and so far, I'm not impressed by the instrumentation. Bring back the awesomosity that was Waking the Fallen and add those ridiculous lead and acoustic-lead parts, and then we'll have the album of the century.

Daniel

Quoted for motherfucking truth. Waking the Fallen remains one of my top 5 albums of all time. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but not when the new material sounds worse than the old.

Wow, now I really am glad I voted you for Best Noob :lol:.

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

I think its amusing and it shows how mainstream the band went.

Now, I'm not going to lie, there might be a song or two on the new album that might be somewhat acceptable for the iPod, but as I've noticed, like you and Daniel said, the more cds that come out, the less songs I like.

The only reason I'm pissed about A7X is becase, in one article I read that he didn't scream anymore because he got surgery on his vocals (hey Brittney Spears should say that!), and then like, 3 months later, they're like OMFG COCAINE AND WE DON'T LIKE THE SCENE ANYMORE OMFGZ.

It's like, which one is it, and if it was JUST the latter, then good way to fuck over the fans, right?

Iunno, M. Shadows seems to be turning into a prick.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

His vocal chords couldn't take the screaming, bu he's not man enough to admit
    to that. Hence the whole "we never liked that kind of music anyway," bullshit.
    Same thing goes for Trivium. If you look at it from their point of view, their
    selling more albums then ever. I imagine they don't mind that. :lol:

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

Ok, thanks for telling me what happened with Shadows, I was really confused.

Well now I think he's even MORE of a prick.

I'd think the happiness of the fans that you're honest with them would be worth more than some fucking grills and record sales based on MTV, but whatever.

Trivium's decent at least.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Yeah, too bad Matt Heafy is worse than M Shadows because he publicly stated that he doesn't care what anyone thinks about their sound before they released The Crusade. Avenged Sevenfold never said they don't care what the fans think...at least not yet. So there's still hope. :lol:

Will

He actually had the surgery but then admitted his doctor said he could still scream perfectly fine. :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Well hey, if that's the truth then at least he's being his own man.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

And there still is a big difference between A7X and Trivium leaving the "scene". Trivium is blatantly stealing Metallica's sound whereas Avenged slightly resembles Guns N Roses but never enough to make it a big deal.

Will

Yeah. The occasional A7X solo is reminiscent of something Slash would play, but they're heavily influenced by Guns N' Roses.

Trivium just basically said, "We're Metallica," took their sound, and didn't make it sound any better than old Metallica, which makes me wonder what the real Metallica thought. :lol:

Tim

Yeah, but it seems like once you damage them they become more vunerable.
    Same thing happened to Jesse Leach from Killswitch Engage. Idk, I was
    never a big A7X fan, but I always thought they had a lot of potential (same
    goes for Trivium). They shot that all to shit. :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think that with Trivium you have to bear in mind that other than Travis none of them are even 25 yet, so they've hardly wasted any potential they may (or may not) have.

Tim

That's true, but the attitude they have about it makes me feel like they're
    gonna suck for a while. I hope they prove me wrong. I would hate to see such
    a talented group of musicians continue to make crappy music.