President Barack Obama/World News & Issues Discussion

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Todd, Jan 4, 2008.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

With the Iowa caucuses tonight, I figured we can have one of these to discuss whatever.

Huckabee (who scares the living crap out of me) won the Iowa caucus for the republicans and Obama (for the motha fuckin win!) won Iowa. Discuss....or do something. I'm bad at making serious threads :lol:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

For anyone who still doubts Obama after tonight I would like to point out one big fact: Everyone pegged Clinton as the candidate to beat from the beginning and nobody in the media thought Obama had the ability to become a democratic front runner in this race.

Instead, we are proving the cynics wrong everyday by pulling ahead in the polls and now winning the Iowa caucus.

Barack Obama stands for change. He has accomplished this win by a completely grassroots campaign which has accepted NO MONEY from political lobbyists and has been completely funded by normal people just like you and me. He has never launched a single negative attack ad on TV, and rather than respond to Hillary's (false) attacks against him by rebuttal attacks, he has responded to every false allegation with absolute truth and facts.

For Obama, it's not all about the 'swift boat politics' of 2004. He wants to unite our country together and ignore the red vs. blue vs. independant dogma that has existed for far two long.

He believes in the American dream, and if tonight has proven anything to the cynics who call him a 'hope-mongerer': so does America.

www.barackobama.com

JNudda

JNudda Guest

*glances at sigs/avatars of the admins* I think you guys should just put a huge Obama banner on the LPA homepage. :lol:

Obama ftw is right.

and oh yeah, word derek. +1

Derek

I've wanted to put an Obama banner on LPA but I didn't want to force our political beliefs down any body's throat. :lol:

JNudda

JNudda Guest

hahah :lol:

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I don't live in America but I sincerely hope that Mr. Obama becomes president.

JNudda

JNudda Guest

oh it should be "Presidential"

Todd

Too bad Firefox's spell check doesn't work on the single line text boxes

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

I am going to repost exactly what I said to you Derek on AIM.

I have a strong connection to Barack Obama, and it's not for the sheer fact that we share the same ethnic background (both he and I are biracial, fathers being black, mothers being white). It is for the fact that he offers changes. Changes that could mean more to my children than even to me.

As a multiracial (I'm actually more than just black and white, but the other ethnicities are from my father's family) bisexual with a strong opinion on education and the war in Iraq, all of his policies appeal to me. Bringing art and music back into focus in education is almost like a dream for me to hear out of a presidential candidate's mouth, especially as a music major dealing with my major not being "a probably career field". His want to bring college prices down by having more grants and less loans appeals to me as a college student, and to pay teachers more is a given. They need it.

Also, his stance on the Iraq war, thinking it was the epic mistake it proved to be, shows that this man obviously understands what this country needs, which is not a pointless war that, while removing a tyrant from reign, has only caused more hatred towards America, and more civil unrest in the Middle East.

Finally, the killer for me, his stance on marriage rights for homosexual couples. He is in every way concerned for LGBTQ equality. Maybe I'm biased as a bisexual woman, who know, but it is nice to see a candidate who is religious and pro-gay marriage. It is a rare sight, and is only a testament to his plan to change America for the better.

While it may have seem like Satan would rather have a snowball fight than for Obama to gain the success he has obtained, this shows that America is ready for the change that he is promising. If only I turned 18 October 28th and not November 28th. I would sleep in front of our voting station to make sure I had a chance to vote for the only candidate who makes me feel like I am an American, and not a lesser sub-being who happens to live in America.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I didn't register to vote when I turned 18 (because I turned 18 after the 2004 elections and I only want to vote in presidential elections because I'm not a very political person at all) but I just registered over the past week. I'm glad I'm going to be able to put my vote down for Obama should he end up being the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

Todd

Well, if you're registered, then you should vote for him in the primaries, whenever they are in your state.

Derek

Thank you. People need to see that Obama is the only candidate who speaks of change for this country and actually has the political history (opposing the iraq war from the start) to actually be truthful with what he says.

People need to open their eyes to Obama's message, and they need to vote for him when the Democratic primary comes to their state.

New Hampshire LPAers: Please don't let me down.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah. I'll probably vote in those. I forgot about them.

Derek

Those are in many ways more important than the main election, because they help influence who should be chosen for the Democratic nomination, and to represent the DNC in the 2008 Presidential Race.

Your vote in the 2008 Ohio Primaries will help towards accomplishing the dream of Obama receiving that nod.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

What are the chances of this Obama charcacter succeeding in the primary vote?

Do they do pre-election polling and the like?

Todd

Pretty good. Any Democrat has a good shot, this country is sick of Bush and the Republicans.

Obama isn't the Democratic nominee yet. The Iowa caucus is 1 out of 50 primaries. However, it typically sets the stage for the rest of the election and is a really good sign for whoever wins.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Great. As long as Hilary Clinton doesn't win I couldn't give a fuck. Her anti-video game nonsense got on my nerves.

Derek and Rachel's speeches make Obama sound like a sound cantidate mind. I should probably follow this closer.

Todd

Long, but well worth the watch:

[youtube]tydfsfSQiYc[/youtube]

No podium with a prewritten speech and no cue cards....I don't know if he wrote the speech beforehand and memorized it, or is completely pulling this out of his ass on the spot, but this speech, just like all of the other ones are just amazing. And, the thought of a president who can speak in complete sentences is exciting :lol:

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I know most of you won't know much about the Australian election earlier this year, but that's an interesting point Derek made.
    The Liberal party in Australia, who have been in government for 13 or so years, entire campaign was based on scared tactics, and negative advertising.
    The Labor party focused entirely on the future, on change, and on the positives.
    Needless to say, the Labor party won the election.

I think this may turn out the same way for Obama in the USA, the world is desperate for people to show them a decent way forward, leaders who want to work towards something, rather than bicker about the past.

The whole world should watch this election very closely, because, unfortunately, it affects us all greatly.

So yea, Obama '08 alright.

Oh, and Rudd and Obama's campaigns sounded the same...
    Kevin '07, Obama '08...
    Just found that interesting.

Todd

Yep, I heard about the ass kicking (or is it arse kicking down under? :D) that the Liberals got in Australia a couple months ago.

And down there, I think your Liberals are like our republicans and your Labors are like our Democrats? Crazy Aussies....they drive on the wrong side of the street, their toilets flush the wrong way, and their political parties are on the wrong side of the spectrum :lol: