Linkin Park Taps "Given Up"

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

So that means we can't still have an opinion on it?

Care to elaborate?

I don't need to read an article to be able to tell if it's a teen angst song, all I need to do is read the lyrics.

Elybe

Elybe Member

I think this single could have a similar chart run as BIO: Fast rise, fast peak, next single out within two months. At least that's what I'm hoping. I can't see a song like this sustaining sales for more than a few weeks, unless there really are THAT many angsty teenage listeners ready to lap it up.

They might want to also capitalize on the momentum SOTD is creating for them on Pop and Hot AC by releasing another single to those formats (LOATR or something equally pop-friendly) after SOTD peaks there.

SOTD seems to have already peaked on most Rock formats, so I don't see them waiting more than a couple of weeks to release GU. It's already increasing in airplay on Alternative and Active Rock. The band, the lable, and the radio programmers clearly are keen on the song, so I figure just unleash it now, get it out of their systems, and then move on to the good stuff.

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

Given up is sweet, perfect choice I say. And I don't mean to be rude but you have to be pretty stupid to not realise the pattern of the singles:

1. Wake
    2. Given up (next single)
    3. Leave out all the rest (future single)
    4. Bleed it out (single)
    5. Shadow of the day (single)
    6. What i've done (single)
    ......rest of album!!

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Given Up should have been the second single. I would have prefered GU as first single but WID was a really good choice when you think of it. WID and GU would have been the singles to mark LP's change . After that they should have brought out SOTD and IP and finished with NMS.
    But it really doesn't matter which songs come out as singles because whe've got the whole album hehe...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
    Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

Yeah but its a hell lot more cooler if a song was a single and had its own video. Technically I think a video for No More Sorrow would kick ass if it was dark, gritty and all. :lol:

So far I've disagreed with only Bleed It Out as a single, but some others disagree with Shadow of the Day as well. Warner sucks are picking up singles. :p

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

What kind of a pattern is that? o_O

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Personally, I think it's a decent choice for a single. It's not the best, and I think perhaps a song like 'No More Sorrow' or 'In Pieces' would have been a better choice.

I like Given Up, though. It's not the best song off of Minutes to Midnight but I like it.

mcmuse

mcmuse New Member

the given up video

hey iv been reading this site for years, but i think this is my first post...
    But anyway, chester said they were recording the performance from Londons o2 arena! on the 29th, and they told us all to jump mentally and stuff XD

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I think he's implying that the first six song are all singles.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

- I like Given Up alot to be honest. It's a hugely energetic song and every time I listen to it it just reminds me of like a car chase or something lol.

- The lyrics aren't about teen angst though (although they could certainly be interpreted as that) and from what I gather they're about Chester's drug addictions.

- There's a spelling error in the news title. It should be Tapes instead of Taps. :lol:

heshboy

heshboy Well-Known Member

Given Up is a solid choice for a single. It's not the best song on the cd, but it will get the job done with all these ****** kids in this world who feel like they've got nothing left. This song will definitely be a hit. I would have prefered them releasing Valentines Day around this time, because of Valentines day is coming up, but then you have to realize releasing a new single this early would kill the chance of Shadow Of The day movie up the charts more, and pushing more cds.
    So Given Up is next, and I do believe that will keep the album sales stron for a couple of months, and then the will capatilize on the election by releasing No More Sorrow as a single. They might even release Leave Out All The Rest before No More Sorrow, and then release No More Sorrow as an extra single. This is a new age in music and it's a time where you have to release more singles than in the past to sell a CD. You have to keep promoting it or you wont see much sales. Look at the sales of M2M already and how many singles they've already done, and the sales are this low in the USA for a Linkin Park CD. It's good sales, but Waner will want more and to sell out the band :(

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

Again I stress that music is evolving, not many people buy CDs anymore because a growing majority of people nowadays download them through torrents. People who buy CDs now are normally people who like to pick something random out of the store or are supporting the artist/band. For the sales internationally to be about roughly 5-6 million after not having released an album since Meteora for 4 years is a superb comeback.

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

You are correct sir, although excluding wake because thats an instrumental.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Proof that Leave Out All the Rest is going to be a single? Oh, that's right, you don't have any, because there is none.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Nope.

It's the equivalent of saying "so-and-so tapped so-and-so to be their producer," except in this case, it's "Linkin Park tapped 'Given Up' as their next single."

Shrazer235

Shrazer235 Well-Known Member

This should have been the single in Shadow Of The Day's place! DX

Yeah, agreed. Maybe even In Peices, but I don't think it's quite so.. worthy, some how. :/

trunkswd

trunkswd Well-Known Member

I had a feeling it would either be Given Up or No More Sorrow. I'm figuring after Given Up, Leave Out All the Rest will be next, followed by No More Sorrow. Then maybe one more single, In Pieces or Little Things Give You Away.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Wow, could you be more sarcastic and patronising?

The band actually said when the first details of the the songs off the album were released that they were almost sure that Leave Out All The Rest would be a single. Thus far they havn't stuck to that but you never know.

Naazon

Naazon Well-Known Member

I read in an interview with chester is coming out this month (feb) so im gonna guess its the end of feb, and also in the same interview chester said it was filmed at a concert in england, at the o2 arena i believe. i found the link to the interview on www.lptimes.com and also people are talking about the filming who were at the concert on www.cbennington.com

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Sorry for being annoyed by people who try to spread bad information?

It's well-known that the band doesn't choose their own singles, so I don't see why anyone would take that as gospel anyway. The band also said that Breaking the Habit "is a song you'll never hear on the radio" before Meteora came out. We all know how that turned out.

And as for where the video was filmed, footage was shot at all of the UK shows on the recent European tour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.