Cursing

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jesse, Mar 17, 2008.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I think you all know where this is coming from so I'll just ask my question.

Do you think Cursing is wrong? Yes, No, Maybe, Kind of? State your reasons and why. As usual I'll tell you my opinions about it later.

Discuss:

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I think depending on the situation and your surroundings cursing can be wrong. If you're in a public place with a lot of people, I find swearing to be inappropriate but if your with a bunch of your friends just having fun, I don't see any problem with it. Obviously that excludes places like the bar or a bowling alley if it's during adult leagues. I swear a lot. I don't think it's morally wrong.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It's fucking all right.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I don't see a problem with it. I mean, most curse words are just synonyms for other words. If it is fine to say "poop", it should be fine to say "shit" in that same scenario. Or course if you are calling someone a poophead or shithead, then your are insulting someone and there is very rarely a case where just trivial name calling and petty personal insults are appropriate or helpful.

That said, swearing for the sake of swearing just makes you look like an idiot. I mean, if you want to look like an idiot that is your right, but it does make you look like one.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

It's a fantastic stress relief mechanism I reckon.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

The "Concept" has been around for Ages. Just a Derogatory Remark to Show the person Is either A: Mad or B: trying To Insult Someone.

Or other small various reasons but I See No Harm in it, as long as You yourself don't Make yourself believe it will hurt you. Then really It is just a Way of expression From a Certain Person, In a Certain Way.

I myself only do it When i get EXTREMELY Mad, Little things I won't waste my time on. Or when I'm with Friends who I know won't Care Because were messing around Or Playing a Game online, or somethin

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Word.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I swear a lot, but I find people who do it all the time to be annoying. It's one thing to just add words into a sentence to emphasize others, but it's another thing entirely when you can't figure out what someone's actually saying because there are so many swear words interlaced with the other words. I really don't have a problem with it either way, since I do swear a lot myself, like I said. I generally find swearing quite humorous in certain situations, but I'm also amused easily.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Cursing is wrong. I mean the big words, like 'Goddamnit', 'Jesus Christ' etc.. When I am very angry it sometimes blurts out and I feel very guilty and stupid for it. I'm not religious, but I've been raised as a christian where I've been slapped for lesser words than that. I still cringe if I hear those harsh cursing words. I don't mind when someone around me is cursing, just as long as they keep away from the ones that offend me. I don't curse alot, I think it's a waste of my breath and time.

This has nothing to do with this topic but, I don't think I'll be coming back. I've been lurking lately and it doesn't feel like a home anymore, something changed but I can't put my finger on it.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

In my opinion, if God WAS real, he'd have bigger things to worry about than someone saying "Jesus Christ!".

Jesse

I also don't think cursing is that wrong, cursing for cursing is not okay but when cursing around friends or using it as a creative outlet/violence reducer or stress reliever I don't see how it could be so wrong.

-
    Good bye Marj. Miss ya.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

Cursing's always been a touchy subject for my family. While both my parents curse, it's never been okay for me or any of my sisters to curse. Well, except for my older sister, who seems to get away with anything.
    I tried telling my parents that cursewords were in fact just words to begin with, but all that got was a "how would you like it if I called you ***?" from my dad. Brilliant, I know. But, the way I see it, they're just words, so use them, but if someone doesn't like them being used, don't use them around said person. It's that simple. And if you can't stop yourself, don't talk.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I find it odd how people can find 'curse' words offensive to be honest (well, if it's not a racist one or whatever). I believe that it's all to do with your up-bringing. Personally, I don't mind swearing at all, infact I swear a hell of a lot but as I said, it's to do with what your taught to be offended by. As for the age-old idea that it's "a lack of vocabulary", I think it's completely stupid considering that the use of and other word could also be deemed as having a "lack of vocabulary".

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Do you do anything else on this forum than bashing Christianity and/or God?

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

I keep getting the whole "that just means you've got a small vocabulary". And guess what I say? "Fuck off." :lol: But really, if it's a racist or homophobic comment, I won't say it.

@esaul17: I don't really believe in God, but I keep that to myself, because it's a touchy subject. Just keep it to yourself if you don't believe it, or don't be so vehement about it.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

To me they're as valid a part of my vocabulary as purpura and limnoplankton.

Seriously though I don't give a toss. They're words.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
    Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

That's my older brother when no one else is around or he's talking to his friends. I can't stand it.

Sure, cursing to me is as fine as baseball and apple pie. But when you do it ad-naseuem and every sentence has to have the F-bomb, then it gets on my nerves. Do I curse in front of my parents...yeah. My mom is just touchy enough for us that we can't use the F-bomb or the dreaded C-word (only swear word I hate). That, i'm fine with. I just use that when i'm not around them.

I don't mind it personally, give or take a couple things. I swear like an undeserved sailor sometimes.

Jesse

About the "C" word, I myself do not see why everyone perceives it as a bad word. I don't really use it, and i don't really care if others do because I don't see how it's any different from the other word of the same meaning that starts with "P" just because some people associated it with things and giving it a meaning that it didn't mean to be attached to, makes it bad? I get told that the word is so offensive but I've yet to have anyone explain to me why it is. I know why the words "Gay" and "Retarded" are offensive but not what makes the "C" word bad. I don't want to offend anyone here so I won't say it, but I'm oblivious as to why it upsets people.

mis

mis Well-Known Member

I don't know why the"C" word is so offensive but it is. I think its because it is still one word that you never really see on tv or even in the movies. It's very taboo. Whatever the reasons its just a very disrespectul work to use, unless you are with people that you know are ok with the word. Usually slang or curse words do take on different meanings than intended and that's why they become so offensive. It doesn't always have to make sense, it just is what it is.

Cursing is fine depending on who you are with. If your with your friends I don't see anything wrong with cursing but if you are around children or elderly it's a sign of disrespect. I guess alot of us are still old fashioned that way.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I love that word :lol: