Cursing

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jesse, Mar 17, 2008.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

What's the C-word? Cunt?

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

I love cursing. I don't actually perceive any word to be a "bad" one, it all depends on the speaker's intention, and mine is to use politically incorrect words. 'Yo mama' jokes never get old anyway.

I can't recall myself insulting someone in front of them, though.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

It's crunk. It's the most obscene of all words in the world. :lol: No, it's what you said.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I would consider what I said about God a compliment, assuming he wasn't so petty.

But to answer your question yes, yes I do.

Why is any swear word offensive really? I mean, unless it is targeting you or something you care about, it shouldn't be offensive...I mean, look at "fuck", it either means sex or just emphasizes something. Neither of these things (should) be offensive by default, but for some reason we perceive them as such. It is just because people have always been told they are "bad" words, and you aren't supposed to say them. I very rarely curse, but in all honesty they are just words like any others and I don't think the usage of any word should be offensive in and of itself.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
    Iain

I think there's a line between cursing being just words and when it becomes hurtful. For instance, if I were to tell someone "get the fuck out of my house, cunt", that would and should be considered offensive. However, if I'm playing around, and I call my sister a shithead, because she scored higher than me on StickRPG, that's on the non-offensive side.
    However, some words, such as f****t, and others, should never be considered non-offensive, unless you're referring to a cigarette. Just my opinion though.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Well, everything needs context. If I just say the word "faggot" or "nigger" with no context at all...I am not really sure that anyone would be offended. But since there is no point in using a word at all if you don't have a context for it, then almost any usage of those words in practice IS offensive. Pretty much the only way you can say "nigger" in a non-offensive manner is if you are just discussing the word or using it in an example, like here.

But words like fuck (unlike faggot or nigger) aren't almost ALWAYS targeting and insulting a specific group of people when using in context, so I don't think they should be seen are really offensive.

In short, what I was saying is it is not really the words themselves, but the way you use them. If a word can only really be used in an offensive manner in practice though, then it should not be included.

Iain

Exactly. That's why, when my dad tells me acting the way I do makes me look like a f****t, I take it as an insult. Because of how it's used, and the... I don't know what the word is, but the way he says it, like, the tone of voice. I'm not sure if that's inflection or what, but that affects it too. That's why I understand why certain words aren't allowed on here, because you can't tell someone's tone of voice, and it's hard to get what exactly you mean across to people on the Internet.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Yeah. But tone of voice or not, it is pretty much impossible to call someone/thing a faggot and mean it in a non-offensive way.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'm mixed with white and black and I am hardly ever offended by the use of the "N" word. I just laugh when people say it to me, I mean maybe because I don't see why black people should be able to use it and not other races. I can see why it would be offensive to some people but personally it doesn't offend me unless you hate my race, and every time people had said it to me, they were talking casually or in a joking manner.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Okay, I guess some people can take it as a joke so if it can be taken as such between two people then that is fine. But the words real meaning is that of a derogatory term, so it would have to be said in private, as someone who overheard could be offended.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

What is true about cursing is that it really is a curse.

I know COUNTLESS times I have said "Fuck You!" to my bf b/c I was mad or annoyed, and something bad happens. Normally it means him getting hurt on something.

But it really is true, curses are very strong words. Be careful who you use them to. I've been really trying to get out of the habit of using them all the time.

Didn't you ever watch the South Park episode?

MECROB!

Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Swearing is fine. But in excess it shows that you lack the ability to speak properly.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

I agree. I mean, people that curse a lot probably have the ability to speak properly...they just choose not to, which makes a pretty bad impression. I mean I have a friend, who is VERY smart and you should hear some of his rants. It's amazing he gets his point across in like 5 seconds. But when we're goofing off, he'll shout obscene stuff every time he gets the chance to and I could easily imagine not liking him, if I had gotten to know him like that.

mis

mis Well-Known Member

Cursing are just words. But every word can have a different meaning or feeling to everyone and usually curse words are used at times of high emotion i.e really happy, pissed off, during an argument... so they mean something different every time they are said cause we say them in different tones and situations. I guess the smartest way to curse is to think about the person you are saying it to and the situation you are in, if you don't know the person who you are saying it to be prepared for any type of reaction.