Musical genius

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Dean, Apr 2, 2008.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Inspired by the Mike Patton and Trent Reznor threads... what constitutes musical genius to you? Which musicians would you consider geniuses?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

A musical genius would have to be someone who's never written a bad record in his or her career. Therefore, there really are no musical geniuses.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

IMO, a musical genius is someone who's innovative, and writes songs that anyone can enjoy, no matter who they are. Also, someone who excels greatly at playing whatever instrument they play. As such:
    Paul McCartney
    Freddie Mercury
    Brian May
    Eddie Van Halen
    Steve Vai
    Prince
    Michael Jackson
    Madonna (as much as I hate to admit it)

I have more, I just can't think of them right now.

mis

mis Well-Known Member

I don't think that someone can be a musical genius. Everyone gets inspired or influenced from someone. I think the only person who would come close would be Elvis. He had such an inpact on people and he started something new and different. Although who am I to know who influenced him.

Iain

That's where I have to disagree. EVERYONE has been influenced by someone. No matter who you are. Beethoven even was influenced by someone. So, really, it comes down to the quality of the songs, how the songs appeal to others, and how proficient someone is in music. The people I listed appeal to 90% of the population (at least at one point or another), and they excel in music. Time after time, they prove WHY they sell so many records, and why people love them so much.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

That doesn't necessarily constitute genius. It could just constitute close-mindedness and jumping on the bandwagon.

mis

mis Well-Known Member

I see what you are saying and I think that everyone you listed is very tallented but I don't think they are the best of the best. But did all of those people write all their lyrics and compose all the notes or was it a team effort with all sorts of people. What makes them a genius? is it their voice, the lyrics, the mellodies, or is it a whole of the package.

Iain

Prince, Brian May, Eddie Van Halen, Paul McCartney, all of them have written at least one song entirely on their own (to my knowledge). Especially Prince. Every song he's done is entirely written by him, with a few exceptions. Steve Vai's instrumentals are entirely written by himself. And it's more of a whole package type thing. Prince can sing, he plays amazing guitar, he can play just about every instrument known to man, besides the tuba... It's more of a package thing, rather than in one area. That's why I don't consider say, Trent Reznor a musical genius. It's also why I don't consider Davie Lee Roth a musical genius. Van Halen was far better with Sammy Hagar than they will ever be with Roth.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

No love for Classical Composers? How about Beethoven, Tchiakovski, or Mozart? If you ask me, you have to look back a lonnnnng way to find true musical genius. These people composed music hundreds of years ago that we still hear today. I don't think our kids' kids are going to be listening to Prince or Steve Vai hundreds of years from now.

Dean

I think they will. Artists like that will probably be our generation's equivalent of classical composers.

Iain

My point exactly. There are more, but recently, I haven't found any musical geniuses. I'm sure they're out there, but in more modern music, it's harder to find them. The closer you get to present day, the harder it is to find a musical genius.

Chris.

I highly doubt it. Obviously I can't be certain about it and neither can anyone else, nor are we going to live to find out :lol: But for some reason I highly doubt that Prince's music will be around in the year 2200

Iain

Two words. Purple. Rain.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It'll be weird if you think about it. Imagine all of us when we're grandparents... listening to hip-hop and industrial music. :lol:

And that will probably be considered tame to the youth of that time.

Chris.

I am being completely honest here in saying that I have heard that song one time. Never listened to the album.

Minus

Rick Astley is a musical genius. Hahahahaha.

Iain

You have never been more right. :lol:

Dean

Keep telling yourself that. It's the only way you'll make it. :p

Minus

JOIN US!

It's actually been pretty boring thus far. Just randomness in conversation is keeping me entertained.

Iain

RICK ROLL ALLERGIES.