Football (Soccer)

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by FreeYourMind, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

He quite blatantly is your squad though. If he gets injured, LFC is going to be completely and truely fucked.

Also, I don't understand why Kuyt still has a place in your squad...

2. No Ace Just You

No Ace Just You Well-Known Member

To be fair fella, did he score all our goals tonight?

Nah, though his goal was pure gold, Babel scored, Hyypia scored a brilliant header, so all in all, I don't really think your view is justified.

Every team will improve, and I have no doubt we will get more strength with another player up front with Torres, but really, he's playing amazing and fair play to him.

I remember when people said if Gerrard was injured, we'd be fucked, and yet he had the worst game ever for LFC tonight, as he admitted himself, so whatever innit.

Oh, and we don't know why Kuyt has a place in our squad, but he's a hard worker, his passing and first touch is just shocking though...

3. Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

i dont understand why they have relatively mediocre players like Pennant and Aurelio in their squad i think they could buy or develope better players honestly

4. Cale.

Cale. Banned

I reckon Steven Gerrard is bit rubbish.

I mean there's no medals for turning up in 10 games a season.

5. Evan™

now thats a bit harsh but yes he is still a wanker

6. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I talked today with a couple of my friends who are football referees and they all agreed it was a penalty. They also said that Arsenal shoud've been awarded a penalty in the first match, but yeah, life's not fair all the time

7. Dedicated

I didn't say he scored all your goals last night.

Also, your point about Gerrad is fucking stupid and irrelevant, considering that when he was actually considered as an amazing played, you were screwed when he was out. Even Liverpool fans agree that you suffered a ridiculous amount when he was out.

Finally, the fact that you go on about how fantastic your squad is and how they're all world class and whatever is dumb, if they were really that good they'd be pushing to be 1st in the league every year when in reality the fact that they're coming in 4th and below shows that they don't have as great a squad as all of their fans think.

On another note, this is what pisses me off about a lot of Liverpool fans; they're so up their own arses that they fail to view the weaknesses in their squad however when they lose they turn on their manager despite the poor performance of their squad and the other obvious reasons for their failures in the Prem.

8. JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i think personally that they were both penalties. but thats football for you, sometimes referee' calls go your way, sometimes they dont. Arsenal are a brilliant side that play brilliant football, the result didnt go there way though. all i say to them is, heads up and look to the future; its pointless arguing over something that cant be changed just because your not happy about it

i've just been watching sky sports news and they've mentioned that they should keep the same referee for both home and away legs. i think thats great and could solve a lot of hassle.

the only worry is, if the ref gets something completely wrong against 'Team B' say, in the first game, then there might be some temptation to award 'Team B' something (like a penalty) in the second.. but then again thats like saying if you keeper make a mistake during the game.. do you drop him for the next? or, if you striker misses a open goal do you drop him?

in my eyes i can see it working, and hopefully it might take off.

9. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I just find it increadible that there's fuck all consistancy with referees these days. In my opinion, trying to be as unbiased as possible, Babel went down far too easily and in the premiership that would never be a penatly. Hleb went down quite easily in the first leg but there was much more contact from Kuyt than there was from Toure. The way Babel fell looked like a complete dive to me because you'd think that Toure had just hacked him down when in actual fact all Toure did was brush him.

But that's the way it goes isn't it. Liverpool can't mount a serious title challenge so they just aim for the champions league. I wouldn't be surprised if grand old Stevie G ended his career without ever winning the premiership. Singing ''You'll Never Walk Alone'' every game won't win jack shit, the wallets of Tom Hicks and George Gillet will though.

But to be honest the team should have defended better last night. Senderos fucked up for their first two goals and he's still accident prone. I wonder how long Wenger will put up with him because he never seems comfortable on the ball and he makes rookie mistakes...I mean who the fuck turns their back on Sami Hyypia to have a free header on goal and allows Fernando Torres to turn and shoot inside the box. I hate saying that about him because at times he's a brilliant defender but if we wanna be serious about becoming one of the best teams in the world then we're gonna need more quality.

One thing that truly baffles me though is why the fuck Wenger prefers to play Eboue on the right wing than Walcott. Eboue, in my opinion, isn't good enough to be playing for us. Walcott on the other hand has amazing potential and is showing it in every game he plays. He slaughtered the Liverpool team to set up Adebayor's goal. That's what makes me so pissed off though because that goal deserved to be the goal that sent us through.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  10. Dedicated

Personally, I believe that this type of thing happens in European games because it happens a lot in European football in general. Stupid little tackles that aren't even bookable in the UK manage to get penalties and cards in Europe.

It's stupid but we've just gotta accept that within the UK we play a harder game. I think that we (Everton) have noticed this recently considering how we were considered one of the teams that still played 'traditional' English football (ie. hard tackles, etc) but in Europe it's simply impossible to get away with things like that. I despise it, but it's true.

Also, I know that Arsenal and Liverpool are both English sides (well, in theory) but in these cases it's the ref that matters.

11. No Ace Just You

No Ace Just You Well-Known Member

Note: I didn't say they were all world class, I even pointed out everyone can improve, and we need to improve.

I know exactly where we need to improve, and I have no doubt that a lot of Liverpool fans think the same. Every team improves, all teams need to for fucks sake.

I personally think it was a fucking good match, and either side could've taken it, but it was just our night. You're saying a lot of Liverpool fans are up our own arses, but you're generalising way too much. There are some, but not a lot. I have complete faith in Rafa Benitez that he can carry us forward, but it TAKES TIME. Notice I havent said, "Yeah we could well win the Premiership as we're so world class" or anything like that.

And Luke, Arsenal were aiming for the Champions League too, so don't get sour at us because we won. The wallets of our directors won't win us anything? Try the 5 European Cups. We have won so much without them, but now we have some money to move forward and we're taking advantage of it. Arsenal have invested heavily in foreign players too, and I think that needed a lot of money too no?

I'm not having a feud on this, as everyone has an opinion and fair play to it but I just think some people are trying their hardest to bad mouth us because of their own bias.

12. Dedicated

When I said “you” I specifically meant Liverpool fans overall.

I’d like to suggest that Liverpool need to improve in every single aspect, and if you’re saying every team improves; Liverpool FC hasn’t improved in years. They’re always in exactly the same situation every season after going into the season mouthing off about how they’re going to come 1st or 2nd when it’s blatantly obvious that they’re not.

Also, this isn’t only about the Arsenal match and yes, most Liverpool fans are up their own arses. Then again, I suppose I can’t be completely sure because most of them have to get a flight home after any match they go to.

As for Rafa carrying you forward and how it takes time... He’s been manager of Liverpool for 3 years (I think?), where’s the improvement been? Where’s this supposed ‘carrying forward’? I swear I remember him saying when he was appointed that Liverpool would win the Premiership, erm, sorry Rafa but you’re full of shit. And the way things are going, you’ll never win the Premiership. Consider how much money has been spent on this Liverpool team by Rafa, what was it? Just over £150 million? For that amount of money, Liverpool should quite easily have dominated the Premiership and most of the other tournaments they’ve played in, but wait... They haven’t. Moyes has spent less than half that in more than double the amount of time and the improvement that’s occurred is beyond belief.

As for saying that you haven’t actually said “Yeah we could well win the Premiership as we’re so world class”, I’m aware you (specifically) didn’t say that but as I’ve said before, it’s the overall view of the Liverpool fans, at the start of every season, that they’re going to dominate and it NEVER happens.

In conclusion, considering the amount of money poured into the Liverpool squad, the team is absolutely pathetic.

My second conclusion is that teams don’t need to pour triple figured amounts of millions into a team to improve them.

My third conclusion is that, as demonstrated quite marvellously by Rafa Benitez, pouring tripe figured amounts of millions into a team can actually fail to improve the team at all...

My final conclusion is that this isn't biased, it's fact.

13. Cale.

Cale. Banned

Roll on Barcelona!

14. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

No, we actually aimed for the premiership aswell and put together a strong challenge for it. Albeit it looks highly doubtful that we'll win it but atleast it was a serious challenge. Liverpool buy player after player and they don't ever even come near the title.

The fact is that Rafa Benitez has probably spent more on players over the past 3 years at Liverpool than Arsene Wenger has in his entire 11 and a half years at Arsenal. Wenger doesn't splash cash on any old player like Craig Bellemy or Fernando Morientes. His spending has actually gone to prove that big teams don't need to spend like crazy in order to be successful. Our record signing is Sylvan Wiltord who cost us £13million. Over the years we've picked up the best bargains in premiership history and havn't invested heavily at all:

- Nicolas Anelka for 525k
    - Freddie Ljungberg for £3m
    - Patrick Vieira for £4m
    - Cesc Fabregas for free
    - Mathieu Flamini for free
    - Robert Pires for £6m
    - Thierry Henry for £10m
    - Sol Campbell for free
    - Robin Van Persie for £2.5m
    - Nicklas Bendtner for £75k
    - Abou Diaby for £2m

Now lets look at some of Benitez's signings over the past 3 years:

- Fernando Torres for £24m + Luis Garcia
    - Craig Bellemy for £6m
    - Dirk Kuyt for £10m
    - Daniel Agger for £6m
    - Peter Crouch for £7m
    - Ryan Babel for £13.5m
    - Yossi Benayoun for £6m
    - Fernando Morientes for £7m
    - Jermaine Pennant for £6.7m
    - Xabi Alonso for £10m
    - Javier Mascherano for £17m
    - Jose Reina for £7m

...and so on. No bargains there I'm afraid so no, we havn't invested heavily in players at all compared to Benitez's spending.

If the Americans didn't come in this season then there is no way in hell that Liverpool would have been able to sign Torres, Babel, Beneyoun and all those other players. It was actually remarkable that for 2 seasons Benitez didn't have a striker who could score 20 goals in a season and even now that he does Liverpool still can't win the title. He made one of the biggest mistakes in footballing history by selling Michael Owen. In my opinion, Rafa wont be a proven manager until he can guide Liverpool to a premiership title and by the looks of things that could take another 3 years.

By the way I don't want a fued. I'm just speaking my mind. Sorry if you take offense to it but that's how it is.

15. Cale.

Cale. Banned

The RTE panel is dynamite.

16. Dedicated

I love how Gibbo has no comments at all about my destruction of the Liverpool side :p

17. Evan™

3-2 against Carisle isnt good enough for promotion

18. Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Lyon 1 - 1 Rennes
    Le Mans 3 - 0 Auxerre
    Lille 2 - 1 Nancy
    Lorient 1 - 0 Lens
    Metz 1 - 2 Marseille
    Monaco 0 - 2 Toulouse
    Sochaux 1 - 1 Saint Etienne
    Valenciennes 2 - 0 Strasbourg
    Bordeaux 2 - 1 Caen

Lille is doing good but Lens is in trouble. Only five journeys left to see who of Lens and PSG will go down.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  19. Cale.

Cale. Banned

If PSG stay up I'll throw a little party.

20. Evan™

PSG shouldnt even be there to begin with, its almost embarrassing