Most Controversial Bands

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jesse, Apr 14, 2008.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

What are some of the most controversial bands you've listen/listened to and like/liked?

One band that I found out about awhile about I don't know what to think of, they're called NOFX, and I'd say they are pretty Controversial about religion and politics. And I advice you that if you are Christian, Muslim, Buddist, etc to not listen to this band.

Can listen to a song here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8k8WHTzN0

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
    Hahninator

Hahninator Well-Known Member

Rage Against The Machine :D

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I guess it depends on what's meant by controversial.

Jesse

Bands that you like but think other people will disagree with. Not the sound of the band, but what they stand for etc..

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Satanic Black-Metal bands (like Burzum, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, Watain, etc) immediately spring to mind.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't believe any band can be "controversial" for expressing their own views.

By that definition you can say Christian bands are controversial for singing about God.

Jesse

That's true. I dunno then. :p Sorry.

Edit: But then again I'm not a Chirstian..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
    Dean

Some people probably are offended by that. Really hardline atheists and so on.

Jello Biafra is someone that comes to mind.

think i'm a fire engine

think i'm a fire engine Well-Known Member

For expressing views way outside the mainstream, of course bands can be considered controversial.

For example, it was controversial when ratm said that George Bush should be tried and shot. It's controversial when Varg Vikernes decided to worship satan and sing about it, (not to mention that he more fully expressed these beliefs by burning down historic churches and killing a former bandmate). It was controversial when NWA said Fuck Tha Police, as evidenced by the massive backlash against it.

Any Christian band that was that far outside the mainstream would be criticized too, I've heard David Koresh was a decent guitarist.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

Prince. I mean, seriously. Sexual innuendos in 80% of his songs, and plus all of the songs dealing in religion, etc., recently. Plus, ever heard of Darling Nikki? Sexy MF? Let's Pretend We're Married, as well. That's just a few though. Party Up is a political one, so I'd say that drew a bit of controversy. The man lived for controversy. He WAS controversy, at one point.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Marilyn Manson.

And Rammstein. They somehow remain controversial despite the fact none of their songs are in English and 95% of Americans have no idea what the hell they're saying. I guess it all goes back to the stereotype that all angry-sounding Germans are nazis. Fuck that. Rammstein is one of this Jew's favorite bands (despite the fact I'm one of those 95%)

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Slipknot (kinda), Rage Against The Machine, Limpbizkit (Woodstock, Big Day Off), Eminem.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Then you should definitely check out the translations for their lyrics, beacause most of them are great.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I have. And I agree, great lyrics. Mein Teil is awesome, if you actually translate it, then find out the story that it's talking about :lol:

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Haha yeah I read about that on songmeanings, it fucking gross.

And some their videos can also be considered controversial. After all, they are the ones who finally showed us that Snow White was taking cocaine :lol:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Varg Vikenes isn't a satanist. Even if he was, not all satanists (depending on which type you mean) burn down churches and murder people. His views on religion and his personal thoughts are deeply interesting, though. The burning down of churches is widespread in Norway, and Varg wasn't the first or last person (or musician) that's done it.

I think Gaahl of Gorgoroth is far more controversial than Varg, in my opinion. While he expresses the same views as most black metal musicians from that area of the world, his actions outside of his music (and sometimes within) are jaw-dropping. He assaulted an old man, tortured him and reportedly drank his blood. Gorgoroth staged a concert in Poland, and.. well, I'll quote Wikipedia on this.

They say the DVD might get released. I'd buy it, because I actually like Gorgoroth and I want to see this footage.

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

First of all, I absolutely adore Varg Vikernes, and my ex wants to name his son (oh dear God, let him not have children) Varg.

Second of all, fuck yeah Gorgoroth.

And eh...Marilyn Manson isn't controversial anymore. He definitely was strange and unique when he came out, but a lot of his "controversy" is either hyped up by the media/protesters, or just plain ole myth.

Uhm, one could say that Mindless Self Indulgence is controversial, but they're more crude than anything. However, "Bring The Pain" is a prime example of such controversy. All white band dropping the n-bomb. Lovely. Have I mentioned that MSI is one of my favorite bands?

Dean

Varg is pretty much a piece of shit in my eyes. Burzum is okay though.

There's this hardcore band called Angry Aryans. The music itself is pretty decent. Obviously I don't condone Nazism at all though.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I think the allegations of white nationalism (whether real or just implied) would
    be another controversial aspect of many Black Metal musicians, like Varg.

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

Yeah let me re-word.

Varg as a person, is shit. Varg as musician, I adore.

Thought I should put that disclaimer in lol.