LOATR Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

Yeah, where?

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Totally agree. What I've done is their best video. I thought the song was just okay. but the video really enhanced that song for me. So many great visuals in that video.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I agree. It makes perfect sense.

I thought the video was fantastic, personally. Linkin Park's videos are always good (except for "What I've Done" and "Faint," in my opinion) and this one probably tops them all, just because the visuals are incredible.

Ryan

Just out of curiosity what didn't you like about What I've Done?

Will

I didn't like it because I felt like Joe wasn't as creative with it. I mean, it's a good video, but by Linkin Park standards I felt it wasn't as good. I mean, anyone can take random clips and make a video out of them. I realize they all went with the song, but I felt they were kind of... I don't know, lazy, maybe, with the video. That's just me though.

Ant

Ant Ambient

I understood that, but I just found it to be extremely cheesy. I didn't think the video fit the song at all. You can make anything relate to something else if you try hard enough. Maybe they should've made it about Stalin wanting to be remembered for all the people he "vanished" :p It'd fit perfectly :) lol

Maybe it's the YouTube rip, but I found the visuals to be extremely weak as well. They weren't even as good as the horrible B-movie visuals on the sci-fi channel.

Edit: And whoever mentioned it, yes, clearly brings memories of "Sunshine." How could it not if you've seen it? Almost the exact same concept.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
    Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

That wasn't nessecary...

I liked the video. I don't pay much attention to wheter the vid matches the lyrics that much...As long as the lyrics match the instrumentals, I'm fine. :)

Ryan

Ya no thats cool, I was just curious on your opinion. Since I love my political issues and debates, I absolutly loved the video because it was hitting those certain areas. While tying into the video the random clips, they were looking at some very good issues in society from a personal level to an economic level to a political level.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Why was it not necessary? That's my opinion. I'm not making fun of his opinion -- sorry if it came across that way. I simply think the video doesn't fit the song, and that it could've been a video about anything and fit the song just as well as this one did. I stated that with my first post.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

THANK YOU. Finally someone who agrees with me on that video.

Will

I think it's the fact you decided to use a really controversial topic to supplement your opinion that was unnecessary, and I agree with it being unnecessary.

Anyway: What's your take on a video like "In the End" then? "One Step Closer"? "Crawling"? One could say those videos had nothing to do with the song. Same with "Faint" and "From the Inside" and "Numb" and... Oh, maybe any video they've made, really.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

I didn't mean to single your post out or anything...I just personally thought, a different comparison would have sufficed. Sorry. I guess I just felt the urge to say that.

Beca

Beca Plug in baby.

Ah crud it's not available anymore.

Ant

Ant Ambient

...are you... kidding... me?

Stalin "vanishing" people is controversial? It's history! It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that was obviously not meant to be taken seriously and obviously not directed at any group of people in particular. Stalin vanished people who were his political opponents or people who disagreed with his regime. Should we just eliminate all political comments on LPA from now on?

I'm sorry, but if you get offended by a comment about Stalin, what are you not going to get offended about in today's world? Of course you'd agree with it being unnecessary since you don't agree with me to begin with.

And I thought those videos were all decent as they were simply performance videos that didn't try to relate something completely irrelevant to a song.

(P.S. The "Numb" video had nothing to do with the song? Is that a joke?)

My fault, though. I apologize. I didn't realize it was too soon to say something about Stalin.

Will

Don't be naive. Your comment about Stalin had nothing to do with this thread. And yes, it's controversial. It doesn't matter if it's history or not. Also, let's not be condescending.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Let's not be condescending? Now I'm condescending for backing my belief? My God, what is LPA coming to? Will, please, if I'm being condescending, I'd love to know what your comments about the other Linkin Park videos was. If that wasn't condescending I don't know what is.

The Stalin comment had nothing to do with the thread. THAT WAS THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE COMMENT. That the video could have realistically been about anything and fit the song just as well as this video did.

Stalin vanishing people isn't controversial in the least bit. Everyone knows it was wrong. There's no controversy about it. Is there a debate about what he did being wrong that I'm unaware of? The point of the comment was simple: they could have made a video about Stalin vanishing people (his political opponents, those who disagreed with him) because he wanted to be remembered and go down in history. Would that be an inaccurate statement to make about Stalin? I don't think it would be.

Would that have been a controversial video? I doubt it. Are historical movies controversial? Normally not, unless it's something about their director portraying one side in a less-than-nice fashion, so to speak.

Will

I think you need to calm down. You're blowing this way out of proportion. I wasn't trying to be condescending with my comments about their other videos; I was merely asking you whether you thought those videos had anything to do with the song for which they were made, just like "Leave Out All the Rest." You, however, ending your last post with this, was condescending: "My fault, though. I apologize. I didn't realize it was too soon to say something about Stalin." And, yes, just about everything that's happened in history has been controversial. Just because Bill Clinton enjoying Happy Hour in the White House with Monica Lewinski is wrong doesn't mean it's not and wasn't controversial. I'm not trying to start a debate, but seriously. And since you seem to be the only one who hasn't found meaning in the video, I was just trying to understand your point, and since it shouldn't matter whether a video goes with a song, as long as it's a well-done video, I was even more confused. You can have your opinion, I was just curious, and I'm sorry if I came across as condescending when I didn't mean to.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Will, the definition of controversy is as follows:
    1. a prolonged public dispute, debate, or contention; disputation concerning a matter of opinion.
    2. contention, strife, or argument.

The Clinton incident was a controversy because there were, in fact, arguments over what happened, as I'm sure you'll clearly remember. There is no controversy now over what Stalin did. There's no argument over whether what he did was right or wrong. There's no argument over whether it occurred or didn't. There was, however, argument over whether Clinton should have been impeached for what he did and whether it occurred or didn't occur at the time. Now we know it occurred. But there are still arguments over whether he should've been impeached for private actions relating to his martial status.

And I've already specifically said that I understand the meaning of the video, but just don't feel it relates very well to the song. "Numb" related better to the song. "Papercut" related better to the song. Heck, "Crawling" even related better to the song. Am I not allowed to think the video doesn't relate well to the song?

I've also stated that I didn't find the video to be well done to begin with. I don't think music videos should be held to any less of a standard than movies if they're going to go all-out and try to create a science fiction vibe. I downloaded the high-res video, and I'm still not that impressed.

And, for the record, I think you're well aware that your comment was condescending, especially given how you ended it:

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Settle down... this is for LOATR discussion not debates. Take it to serious chat if you wanna be all fussy about it.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The two of you:

Sometimes it's best to take a step back, realize what you're arguing about, and just agree that pursuing your line of discussion any further just isn't worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.