Given Up - is it really just an angsty song?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Shrazer235, Jun 7, 2008.

Shrazer235

Shrazer235 Well-Known Member

I noticed this a few days ago on the last day of school when I was writting the lyrics down of paper. I was proof-reading (for once), and I noticed that I didn't get the whole angsty feeling like with, say, One Step Closer and Don't Stay (both track two of previous albums). Instead, I couldn't help but picture some drug adic or alcoholic in one of those hospitols...

:/ I don't really know, I just noticed this, and since then, it's been buggin' me that not many think of Given Up besides an LP "#2 Track".

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

If your asking if it has meaning I think it does. How Chester has kept his lifestyle a secret without the media trashing his image is interesting. Not much else compares to laying in bed with cold sweats, nausea, and irrational paranoia because you don't have any pills.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I think that the lyrics to "One Step Closer" and "Don't Stay" are immature and selfish, as Chester has said himself. "Given Up" is more a self-loathing anger, which could be even more powerful. The lyrics on Minutes to Midnight are miles ahead of any other LP album, at least in the moral sensibility front.

Shrazer235

Shrazer235 Well-Known Member

*shrug* I guess.

...You know, honestly, I can't understand how people like being high; I get that from just a little pain pill, and I feel SICK for HOURS.

Hmm, true. xD Although, I can't say that I don't like the other two in a musical way.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm sorry, I really don't get what you mean; when you say "#2 Track", are you actually refer to the typical angsty songs that opens LP albums? Or just songs on track 2?

And, so, are you annoyed that people do think that "Given Up" is an angsty track while you don't? Or that people don't see "Given Up" as an angsty track? :)

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's a little bit different to that.

LPlover15

LPlover15 Well-Known Member

well and you gotta know they did "one step closer" because mike and chester were frustrated while working on the song "runaway". they did that song to let off there feelings of frustration and anger of trying to write "runaway". i dont know about "dont stay" i think its a great song tho.

weiwei

weiwei Banned

NOT a soul was visible

NOT a soul was visible wow gold on the hedgeless highway, or on wow power leveling either side of it, and the white road seemed wow power leveling to ascend and diminish till it joined the sky. At the very top it was crossed at right angles by a green "ridgeway"-- the Ickneild Street and original Roman road through the district. This wow powerleveling ancient track ran east and west for many miles, and down almost to within living memory had been used for driving flocks and herds to fairs and markets. But World of Warcraft gold it was now neglected and overgrown.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

wtf just happened

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

It's gotta be either a sickness he can't get rid of (that's how I relate to it) or a drug addiction.
    It's more than just angst.

Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

I would say drug adiction, even though it could be a kind of sickness, which is stuck inside his mind (dunno how to find the exact words, my english isnt that good)

a lil* off-topic here: Did you guys know that the word "Angst" means Fear when translated into german?

German word: Angst English word: Fear

so its quite a little bit confusing to me to read about angst whereas i relate it to some kind of fear or somethin' likewise.

enough of the ot, b2t

lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

There are other kinds of high from other sources than just drugs/medicinal products. I regularly enjoy highs from snowboarding, riding my motorcycle, following a workout and skydiving when I can. ;)

lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

It is roughly similar.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Or maybe it could do with the band, and Chester personally having no success in the music industry and all the road blocks they hit on their way to making it.

or maybe its drugs

or maybe its just being fed up with everything

Guys the songs open to interpretation, it doesn't have to do with any one subject, just the emotion of feeling useless and wanting to give up. The band consists of 6 guys, i'm pretty sure all of them weren't hardcore druggies who couldn't sleep or come down from some crazy drug and felt like dying lol

Personally, I just take the song as wanting to give up when life overwhelms you at times. You want it all to go away, no ones THERE to help you through it, just sick of all the bs

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008