Mike Demonstrates New Instrumental With Pro Tools 8

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Yeah I agree. if it doesnt end up on the new album in any form it'll be wasted if its not released anywhere. LPU9 is the best idea.

Sounds really awesome. Exactly the direction I was hoping they'd take after MTM. Kinda like "wake" and the intro to "what i've done". Dark, atmospheric and melodic.

I hope they stick to this kinda feel.

Pro tools kicks ass!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You can see, like, Christmas lights al over the studio. :lol: I fully just noticed that, reminded me that Mike said they decorated the place.

The outro of that track reminds me of the "Halloween" theme ...

INK12Many

INK12Many Well-Known Member

Maybe they will use this instrumental for a song during live, maybe a new version intro for WID or another MTM track.

The_Rising_Tied

The_Rising_Tied Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is a sick instrumental! and rob is amazing on this track, i hope he keeps it up for the upcomming record!! but right now im not gunna start getting my hopes up, bcuz either there going to go in a complete different direction or maybe the same we dont know cuz it was only mike and rob and the other 4 weren't there and everyone has a say on which way there sound is going.

But either way, great fkn instrumental!!

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

I doubt that this will be on the record, though LPU9 is a good guess. I dont think that i'm liking this as much as everyone else is, though it is very good, and I like the overall tone. Perhaps it would be better within the context of an actual song?

INK12Many

INK12Many Well-Known Member

after a few listens, it made me listen to Deftones all day today... pretty awesome

XVZ

XVZ Banned

Maybe this will be played live in 2009 as a full song?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't understand why everyone thinks Rob's such a great drummer. Yes, he's good, but he's pretty average.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I think Rob is a brilliant drummer...sure he's not like some insane metal drummers but when it comes to timing and dedication to learning a certain drum pattern he's second to none.

CureForTheSession

CureForTheSession Well-Known Member

haha, the reaction to this little instrumental is ridiculous. I mean, yes, my inner LP fanboy was bursting at the seams when I heard it but man, after reading this thread, you'd think they released a full 3 minute track. Mike's probably had a good laugh over the reaction already.

Not gonna lie though, I like it too :-D

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think it's pretty fair to say that Rob has it in him to be a really good drummer, but he hasn't shown it 100% of the time as of yet. Obviously he's no Chris Pennie or Tom Pridgen, but how many of those are there in the world?
    He is slowly starting to deliver more, although I wouldn't actually consider this to be amongst his most impressive drumming myself.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'll get him a double bass pedal for Christmas so he can do some blast beats. Then everybody would think he's amazing. :rolleyes:

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Exactly, there's more to drumming than fucking blast beats.
    Seriously, he's actually a really good drummer, so many drummers never ever deviate from that same AC/DC style, 4/4, hi-hat/snare drum beat.

At the very least he's more interesting than your average rock drummer.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

I can think of plenty of drummers people consider very good without resorting to just blast-beats. Thomas Pridgen, Matt Griener and Moe Carlson are just three off the top of my head.

Will was merely stating he considered Rob is overrated as a drummer, that's all.

Astat

Maybe in the context of Linkin Park fans who have the attitude that "Rob is the best drummer EVAR," sure. That's par for the course with any band/band member, their fans think they're the greatest at what they do. I haven't seen Rob's name pop up in any discussions of great drummers outside of LP-related forums though, so I don't see how you can possibly consider him overrated.

And then on the other hand, it seems like people rave endlessly about drummers like Joey Jordison being the greatest drummers in the world, when in reality they're one-trick ponies who only get recognition because they can play double bass really fast. Hence my comment.

Will

Ahhh, no offense, and I don't know if that was a stab at what I listen to, so I won't take it as such, but that's not what I said AT ALL. So if you're going to be a douche bag about an opinion I have, then have at it, but that's not what I said AT ALL.

For a "generic drummer," he's not as good as people rave about. There are tons of better drummers out there who'll never get recognition. Oooh, he played an "intricate drum pattern" on ONE SONG, wooooo!!!!!! Let's throw him a fucking party!

Edit —
    OK, I'm not gonna delete that, because I deserve a warning if I get one, but still, man, there's no need for the "eyeroll" thing just because I stated my opinion. I think Rob's overrated. Yes, I think lots of drummers are overrated, but that's no reason to make me look like a jackass for stating my opinion. Yes, he's good at what he does, but in the grand scheme of things? Not that great.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

The only thing with Rob is that he isn't a generic drummer. There's always something of a hip-hop style with his drumming, which obviously isn't normal in rock music.

Astat

Read the post above yours, I wasn't directing that at the type of music you listen to in particular.

I personally believe there are way too many so-called "great" drummers out there today who wouldn't know what the hell to do if you put them behind a drum kit that only had one bass drum and a single bass pedal. Like guitar players can use a crapload of distortion to cover up sloppy playing, drummers can use double bass as a crutch when without it, their drumming is really uninspired. Rob's one of the few drummers I've seen in his genre who does things like switching between 8th and 16th hi-hat notes in the middle of a bar or using paradiddle snare rolls as opposed to straight 1-2-1-2 ones. I'm not saying he's some kind of drumming phenom, but he does everything he does with a rather basic kit. I'd like to stick a guy like Brandon Saller behind a 4-piece kit and see how "great" he really is.

I still have never seen a single person so much as mention Rob's name in a discussion about so-called "great drummers" anywhere that wasn't a Linkin Park website, so I fail to see how he can be overrated in any sense.

Will

Brandon Saller's not a very good drummer either. :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Tasta wasn't saying he is. I'm pretty sure he just named a more run-of-the-mill metal/hardcore drummer who may not have a huge kit but, as far as I am aware, it's still noticably bigger than Rob's. Correct me if I'm wrong but Rob does tend to use a relatively average set-up aside from the triggers and pads.

I don't know how Rob can be overrated either, because as Tasta said you don't tend to see him getting much high praise, if any, outside of Linkin Park's fanbase. I mean he might be overrated within this thread, or even the whole board but, as you like to put it, not in the grand scheme of things. :p If anything he's probably underrated. He's a fairly good drummer with untapped potential basically. I would agree that he's not a world class drummer, blastbeats or otherwise, but he obviously has a lot more in him than he's already shown and it's probably a bit frivolous to call him overrated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.