Your views?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Tom, Jan 28, 2009.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Sorry Mar, but I've got to say that while I'd never hit a girl of my own accord, if they hit me first with some degree of force, I'm going to retaliate. I'm saying that I could ignore a "light" slap to the face, but if it was with a reasonable amount of malice or force, I'll hit back (that goes for a man or woman).

While I'd never actually try to knock them out or something, I'm not just going to stand there and be attacked. I'd at least attempt to hold them down until they were calmer.

To expect men to ignore an assault is just sexist.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
    TheRockChick

TheRockChick Pffft... LPA Super Member

Fair enough. It is after all a "Your views" thread.

I'm sticking to what I said, though.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

:lol: oh I'm not saying I have an overwhelming problem with you or your views, it's always good to have some discussion on here.

The only thing I did find a touch off was the "real man" comment. If we were to defend ourselves against a reasonable attack, I hardly think it fair to consider us any less of a person or "man" for doing so.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

It's like Casey said, even if the girl hits the guy first, if they guy retaliates, he'll be the one to go to jail or prison, even if he did absolutely nothing wrong in the first place. THAT's what's sexist.

TheRockChick

TheRockChick Pffft... LPA Super Member

I know. :lol:

I am with you on the attack part. The girl only slapped him. Girls do that all the time (lol) and we don't even know why she did it in the first place, so we can't judge the situation. But if you were walking down the street and some crazy woman jumps on you and trys to attack you, that's a whole different story. You'd be defending yourself, you have no other choice.

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I think if someone hits you, then hitting them back is ok, but men have more strength then most women do.

That being said, my brother in law and one of his ex girlfriends lived with us for a while. One day while I was out of the house, she got in an argument with him because she was using our phone, and I had asked her not to. She ended up throwing it at him.

He reached down and grabbed her by the ankle, and drug her out of the kitchen, through the living room and out the front door of our house. She was kicking at him with her free leg, and screaming hysterically. My dog came out of no where and was barking and growling at them, and my brother in law kicked at the dog to get him to go away. The dog ended up biting her on the upper arm.

Anyway, by the time I got home, there were 2 sheriffs in my driveway, and she was gone. He ended up being arrested, for nothing other then it was to "protect her", when he hadn't even really done a damn thing other then grabbing her and pulling her down on her ass. He wasn't even allowed to press charges against her for hitting him with the phone.

Double standard bullshit if you ask me.

grego

grego Well-Known Member

The guy shouldn't have hit her back. The whole situation is f-ed up though.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

If someone slapped me, unless it was jokingly or with geniuine force, I would probably just shove them away or something at the most. I definitely wouldn't do anything to exceed what they'd done to me. It doesn't warrant a violent response, whoever is doing it.

There is this double standard, though, where women are often much better protected both socially (norms and values and whatnot) and legally when it comes to violence and sex crimes and certain other things. Statistically, women are less likely to commit such acts but when they do against men they are often treated more leniantly than the male equivalent. And then there is the fact that, again speaking statistically, men are less likely to report such crimes, if it indeed reaches the level where it can be considered a crime that should be reported. Can you tell that I've only recently written an essay on this? :p

It's rather like when, for instance, at a recent Gallows show, Frank Carter had someone ejected for groping his crotch. It's happened with other male musicians as well. I'm pretty sure that if that had happened to, say, Hayley Williams, it would get reported much much more widely among other things.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Agreed.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

The video was taken down. Judging by the replies to the video, I'd really like to see it to make my own comments.

aki*lp

aki*lp LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I guess if someone hits you, you can always be the bigger person and not hit back, regardless of age or gender.