How did you feel listening to Hybrid Theory for the first time?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Derek, Mar 24, 2009.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

For those of you who are still Linkin Park fans on this board, when you heard Hybrid Theory for the first time what were your thoughts/how did you feel?

For me at the time (I was 15) I thought it was like nothing I have ever heard before. I was captivated and both me and my sister had it on repeat for hours on end. To this day it still is one of those albums where you can play it and hear new things that you didn't hear before, or little flourishes the band put in that you didn't notice on a previous listen. This is even more apparent when you listen to a flac quality rip.

A+ album.

But yeah, what does everyone else think?

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

I think I was about 11.
    It was the first album I bought actually and I also remember playing it a few times a day (special thought to my mom who had to listen with me :lol:) for a few months at least. I have listenend to In The End for easily thousands of times and I was really amazed that you couldn't get bored by the the song and album, how many times you listened to it.

I still can't believe it was almost ten years ago.

One of the best albums ever.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Definitely. Before I would've been skeptical to say such a thing, but the fact is that this album deserves the spot it has in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Best 200 (it's at #64). It's one of those rare albums that didn't invent the genre it was a part of (nu-metal) but actually turned the genre on it's head and in the process put itself in a whole genre of it's own. There's so many different influences in just the first album that you cant call it nu-metal, electronic rock or even rap/rock. It's just Linkin Park.

Wonderful album. I wonder if in 20 years we'll still be listening to the CD and thinking "damn".

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I have no recollection of what my first impressions of the album were, other than that I liked it a lot. It was at least seven or eight years ago now.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I first saw the video for One Step Closer and I loved it. Then I saw the video for Crawling and I loved it so fucking much. My friend had the CD so I borrowed it from him and couldn't stop listening for weeks. Definitely my favourite album ever. It was in spring 2001.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

It was i think five years ago, and i don't really remember much. I'm pretty sure it was the best thing i'd heard up until then :lol:.

I'd agree it's a very good album. I think i might listen to it again after this album.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

My first real hard-on was when I listened to Hybrid Theory for the very first time.

ColdbutFrozen

ColdbutFrozen Banned

Hmm it was like 8 years ago when I heard it for the first time. :) Like, I was 9 or 10 years old. I saw OSC on tv and thought it was cool and crawling was awesome too so I wanted the album and bought it :)

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

It was like an orgasm in my ears :lol:

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I don't remember exactly when I first heard any of the songs off Hybrid Theory, just that I was pregnant with my daughter at the time, and I remember going out to buy the album at some point in those nine months. I would listen to it, and she would kick me like crazy. I guess she liked it too.

Its in my top ten albums of all time. I still listen to it pretty often, and its just as powerful as it was the first time I heard it.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

It was a surreal experience. I heard Papercut for the first time and I went "damn... what is this new style of music?" It's one of the few albums where every single song is likeable.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I actually downloaded the songs individually along with meteora - it wasn't untill 2006 I actually went out and brought the physical CD!!! XD

I couldn't stop playing either of the albums (and later Reanimation too), I just loved the style and the sound.

The only problem with that now is I'm kinda bored of HT & Met. so I haven't listened to either album in a year or too.

But I can say LP really help broaden my taste of music HT is has become one of those iconic albums like "Nevermind", "master of puppets" or "sgt. Pepper" - okay maybe not that far, but ya get the idea!

ColdbutFrozen

ColdbutFrozen Banned

Hmm ReAnimation was just awesome, I loved the remix of Pushing me away. Just awesome and it touched me when I was in trouble and I had to left the best people I knewn and just start a new life, but failed it that :( My December remix, it touched me to and KRWLNG also, it was like in the same period :)

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

When I first heard Crawling kick in, it was the most powerful thing I'd ever heard.
    And Papercut was just so unique, even with my limited knowledge of music at the time I was sure it was something totally different.

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

Damn both of you! I intended my post to simply be: "Orgasmic." But you both stole my idea. :lol:

Besides that, I agree with what Derek said. Even listening to the CD now, I hear things I've never heard before which is really amazing, as I've listened to it countless times by now. My sister's best friend was really into it and I thought they were cool and she put the music on our computer, and one day I just sat down and listened and I was...captivated. I listened to it on repeat for hours.

I want to see them in concert again SO BAD. Like, a lot. We should all find a central point concert, in between where everyone lives and everyone on the boards should go. Although...that might end up being in the middle of the ocean somewhere...:lol:

Harlz

Australia would be pretty central, if we include the Brits and you Yanks and so on...:whistling

Arlene

Hahaa, pretty convenient for you, eh? :p

I wouldn't mind Australia.

Harlz

I've really been feeling like I wanna see them again myself.
    Not getting seats this time... lol

Arlene

AGREED! I was so jealous of the pit. Yes, I would be scared, but I wanted to be IN THE ACTION. :lol:

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

The pits at LP are mild Arlene, this coming from the 5 ft tall girl who at 110 lbs. took on the pit at her first Metallica show and got close enough to the stage to see sweat on James Hetfield.