"Genre-Busting" New Album?

Discussion in 'News' started by Andrea, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Mike Shinoda was recently interviewed by Rollingstone.com and claims that the band's fourth studio album will be genre-busting, saying “they’re going to have to come up with a new genre name for what this record is.”

He goes on to state that Linkin Park is about halfway through the writing process and hopes to have the album out for an early 2010 release. The quality of the tunes is top priority among his concerns, and says that “if we need to take a step back and make sure everything is top, top quality by our standards, we will.”

"We want to hopefully move even more into being able to make more substantial music, and we’ve always been capable of it, but sometimes, there were different things that we got excited about on each record, about what we wanted to write and what we wanted to make and what kind of statement we wanted to make. On this record, we’re definitely paying attention to the substance and the nuance, and we hope to make something that’s really cutting edge and really different.”
    , says Shinoda.

Mike says the record isn’t what he would describe as a concept album, but has some cohesive elements. “This isn’t necessarily a record that tells a story about a character or anything like that, but I do hope the record has a sonic identity, from beginning to end, that’s distinguishable from the other stuff we’ve done and distinguishable from everything else out there. I would love, at the end of the day, to be able to look at this record, and say its something totally new, totally true to the spirit of the band, and it doesn’t sound like anything else. That’s what we shoot for.”

To read more, please visit Rollingstone.com.

Thanks to Gitsnik for the news!

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

They always shoot to be 'ground-breakingly original', but in the end their albums have not been all that original since Reanimation. I love this band to pieces, and I wouldn't invest so much of my time into this website if I didn't, but the fact is...what the band hypes vs. what we actually get is usually far different.

Meteora was another Hybrid Theory, and Minutes To Midnight (which was hyped as a 'completely new monster') came out as an alternative rock album that..while different for the band..was a style that really just about anybody could emulate. The album was good, but it didn't live up to the hype at all.

That's why I'm taking Mike's statements with a grain of salt. I love their music, want to see them fufill the hype and make an album that is ZOMGZ WHOA, but I'm not going to believe what I read till I have the disc in my hands. I'm too afraid Warner will force them to water down their sound if it gets too be too different from what's popular today.

It wont be original until all the mainstream elements are gone.

Take a risk you guys...sure some of your 'pop flavored' fans might turn their back on you, but the others will respect you for doing what's different and not going for a sound that will appeal to the radio and the billboard top 100.

Andrea

100% how I feel.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

ya they have several timesw before and it hadnt been as "woah" as we would have wanted it to be..but like Derek said i wont believe it till the CD is in my hands..until then all the details on how the album sounds i wont take to heart

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Did they actually hype MTM up that much themselves? I mean, I'm not trying to be an asshole when I say that, I just don't really remember much of what they said themselves about that album. If they did hype it up like this back then then fair enough. I think they did talk about experimenting pretty often, which is pretty much what they did. I agree with parts of what you said but in the case of MTM I think a lot of people seemed to hype it up themselves and expect a masterpiece because previews were saying it had guitar solos and more nuance in the arrangements and stuff, while in retrospect I don't think anyone could realistically have hoped for much more than what we actually got. I'm not saying Linkin Park fans are the only ones who do that, but at the moment I think that seems to be the case as much as anything.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I think, after their last battle with Warner, they probably have more leverage this time around. Hell, I could be wrong about that, but I sure as hell hope I'm right. With Mike always giving people advice about record label issues on his blog, I'd expect him to have his shit (at least somewhat) on lockdown by now.

Also, with what he's talking about with "groundbreaking", I think he's probably referring to the heavier incorporation of synths into the music. With Chester talking about his love of NIN, Mike talking about how he loves Justice and Crystal Castles, the breakdown of "New Divide" sounding like NIN, and Mike being prominently featured as playing a synth in the video (that's what it looks like, at least), I'm expecting more electronic elements on the new record. I don't know if that'll really make it "genre-busting", but I'm sure I'm going to love the record either way. LP never disappoint.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
    JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

same here :)

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

As far as I can recall they did hype up MTM but not to this extent. That's a pretty big statement Mike made right there! He sounds almost overconfident. I'm, in no way, hanging on his words though. As Derek said, I'll believe him once I get the CD.

crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's going to be released on a cd...I remember them saying months ago that everyone will be receiving the new album in a way that's never been done before.

LinkinPark2002

LinkinPark2002 Well-Known Member

same here.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I think the band needs to get their stuff produced by Muse.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Ultimate QFT.

Very true. A lot of the hype behind MTM was the media's fault. Improper descriptions of songs, fueled by claims from the band that they were experimenting..plus the sound of Qwerty, all lead to people thinking the album would sound way different.

Andrea

LOL. That would be epic. :lol:

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I've been saying for years, "Linkin Park needs more falsetto vocals."

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

Part of having success out in any field is having an amount of people not liking you or the product that is released. In my opinion, LP will never please everyone except well...themselves! I respect them as a band for doing something original and they have in songs like Little Things and BTH etc, and they have got great feedback from those songs. If they strive for what they want, in due time, it will occur. I give them full due cred for attempting to do somethin' awesome and original. It may not be this next album, but I see this band's potential to craft something amazing in the many years to come.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

As long as the band is on a major record label, their true vision for their music will never see the light of day.

EDIT: I'm sorry, how is "The Little Things Give You Away" or "Breaking the Habit" even close to original? The former song is, I'll admit, a pretty good song, but it's nothing earth shattering, "genre busting", groundbreaking, etc. It's just a long ballad. BTH... god what a horrible song. Don't get me started. I was embarrassed for LP when it was released.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
    The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

We'll see how they do producing The Resistance. Maybe then, though, because Chester likes them. I would actually prefer Josh Homme to produce, he's got a really dense dark sound that would be neat for LP.

Anyway, they also said that MTM wouldn't be definable, and it is probably one of the most generic records I have. Especially after New Divide, i'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I wish they'd stop talking. Every time they say something they end up looking stupider and stupider when the actual music actually releases. They promise all this crazy shit and when it comes out I'm just like "...how the hell could you describe this like that?".

They need to just not talk about it until a month or so before release.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

didn't they say that minutes to midnight was going to have a "new sound?" i don't know what to expect but i can't fathom how this new album is going to be genre defining. as disappointing as i found the "new sound" on minutes to midnight, this album had better come through.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

They should get Steven Wilson to produce the record.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's not a fan though, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.