Chester Comments On New Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

There are several reasons why DBS isnt really succesful IMO. That being one of them. Another being that I personally dont think the album was all that great. Everything was mediocre to me. Lyrics, music, everything felt sort of stock. They picked a terrible first single. alot of factors. but thats just me

obiwanws2

obiwanws2 Well-Known Member

I would like Heavy WITH the metal please.

LinkinPark2002

LinkinPark2002 Well-Known Member

Second that.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

This is from Mike's blog:

Mike's a joker. :lol:

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

^^
    :lol: Nice. Keep poking at us Mike. Well at least he still manages to be funny haha

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Mike was being serious, you can't argue with math. :lol:

Luke

You just know some halfwit is going to see that and think he was actually declaring the album will be out in December 2012. :lol:

That would suck though, you wait 5 years for a new LP album only for the world to end a few days later.

projectfallback

projectfallback Well-Known Member

What if the album was so epic, it actually caused the destruction of the world?

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Exactly. Poor promotion or not, the album just isn't very good.

Then again, just because an album is bad doesn't mean it won't sell, haha.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

WIN.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

To be quite honest, I think the album wasn't as good as it could be for two reasons. And none of them we're Chester. Those two reasons are: 1. Overpolished mixing (Chris Lord-Alge should never touch another LP/DBS record ever again), and 2. the influence of the band members he was performing with.

This second comment is going to upset a lot of people, but I really never thought Julien-K were that good of a band. They had some decent songs, but there were many songs on 'Death To Analog' that just sounded like filler and not as strong as they could've been. And that's exactly what happened with Out of Ashes. The album became a C+ album, when it could've been an A+ album. When I first heard Chester was doing a solo record back in 2003 (through our Sean Dowdell chat), I expected it to be a nod to his earlier influences. In my head I was rearing up for a nice grunge revival type sound, with some STP and Alice In Chains and maybe even a little Smashing Pumpkins.

Instead we got a record that sounded like Julien-K. Dead By Sunrise is essentially "Julien-K with Chester on lead vocals", and because of that it didn't sound very original at all. Why? Because that sound had already been made, and there was no sense in replicating it for a different band. On Out of Ashes, in terms of songs, we had a few that were pretty solid (In The Darkness, Into You, Walking In Circles) but other songs were either weak, or so badly mixed (Inside of Me's chorus being the best example of horrible mixing) that they were rendered unenjoyable.

I think if the next solo album (assuming Chester makes another solo record) is going to be any better, it can't sound like another band. It needs to take his influences, then put them in a melting pot...and produce a sound that is all their own. Just like Linkin Park did with Hybrid Theory. Even though the sound became stale once everyone tried to copy it, there is no denying that it was very unique when it first came out. That's what DBS needs to do.

Otherwise, as much as I support Chester...and hope he understands I'm being supportive here...DBS will never be the band it should've been.

Luke

I really liked Out Of Ashes but I'll agree that there were some really weak moments on the album. However I was more pissed off that after years of waiting for Death To Anolog to be released, Julien K release it and then practically shift it to the side while they work with Chester. I thought Death To Analog was a better album overall though. Much more catchy songs and I preferred the electronic elements.

I was also expecting Chester's solo project to be more grungey and alot heavier and expected him to distance himself from the lyrical style he had in LP but he didn't do that. Songs like My Suffering, Inside Of Me, Fire, Crawl Back In and Too Late have awful lyrics which is a shame because the instrumental parts are awesome. It's a strange contrast with songs like In The Darkness, Walking In Circles and Give Me Your Name because those songs have brilliant lyrics and those are by far the stronger songs on the album in my opinion. It just seems that Chester was so anxious to put the record out there that he didn't see that there were clearly parts of the album that were unfinished.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

last time the band said "melodic," I hated the album.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm glad to see 'heavy without metal'. Implies something they haven't tried before. Heavy with metal would sound like the powerchords of HT and the heavier songs on MTM, a sound that's washed out now.

With all the electronic work Mike's been doing and the album progess detailing, I'm guessing it's very bass/synth/electro heavy, which sounds awesome. Imagine a slow-tempo song with a heavy bassy/synthy beat in the back and interesting guitar and bass work being done on top, mixed in low-volume. Add crooning Chester vocals (a la WIC) with Joe scratching and you'd have something mind-blowing.

I know it may sound like I'm expecting too much (especially with the detail), but with all that's been released on the album thus far, I do hope at least a song sounds something like my description.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

Is it just me, or is LP just not to be taken seriously anymore? I mean, don't get me wrong: They're all great 'musicians'. They've proven that on more than one occasion. But somehow, the sound. With all the new material and the promises they're making, it just doesn't feel very Linkin Parkish to me. And I say that without comparing their sound now to HT. It's just the image and what not. It's become more and more alienating somehow. Who knows. Maybe I've just moved on to a different taste in music. I'll just sit back and wait for the new album and see if it delivers a solid impact. I'll hope...but never expect. :lol:

And on a side note: Mikes little comment on Algebra? I don't know. To me, the written tone seemed a bit pissed off. I mean, who wouldn't get frustrated with a fanbase like us? One day, all of us are bitching and the next, we're on our knees, praising the greatness that is LP. :lol:

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

Heavy without metal. *raises eyebrow*

Strong hip hop. *thumbs up*

Melodic. for sure

Word up Chaz!

He was being sarcastic in a lighter way, imo.

Word.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

If Linkin Park isn't taken seriously anymore, I think they have themselves to blame for that.

And Mike didn't have to make that Algebra post on his blog. That really rubbed me the wrong way, even if it was supposed to be taken as a joke, but I doubt it in his own mind. There was just no need for it. If he didn't want to hear peoples true opinions, then he shouldn't have a blog in the first place or, on the other hand, be able to accept criticism from your fanbase and move on.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Meh, I took it as a sarcastic joke. I know if I was giving my all to others and all they cared about is getting a new product and impatiently waiting, I too would become a bit irritated. It's human nature. He is only human. ^_^

Luke

Okay so here's a scenario for everyone: they're not happy with how the new album is sounding and scrap what they've done so far and start over...would you be pissed off you have to wait longer for new material or would you be happy they're working hard at trying to make the best material possible?

I'm guessing everyone would be pissed off at having to wait more than focusing on potentially being let down by the band for settling on a mediocre album. It's funny because there's plenty of music we all listen to outside of LP and yet there's such a hardcore demand for new LP music that people are going nuts for it. LP are my favorite band of all time but you can't rush art and I realise that. Waiting a long time for a train or for a package late in the mail - those are things to be pissed off waiting for, not six dedicated musicians trying to do their best to please their fans.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Thank you. They're human beings faced with impossibly difficult expectations, from an extraordinarily huge fanbase.

Imagine being in their shoes: You've sold over 50 million records worldwide, you just found out a month ago that you were the best selling Modern Rock artist of the last decade, and now you're faced with writing a record that many 'disenchanted' older fans are calling a 'make or break' album in regards to their interest in the band.

That's a lot of pressure, and it's easy for the band to get frustrated when people fail to understand the pressure they're under and instead complain about every statement they don't like, and force the band towards unreasonable deadlines.

Let the band work. They obviously are putting a lot into this record, otherwise they wouldn't take as much time on it as they have. They could've easily copied MTM and had another record out by now, but they refused to do that. And for that, the guys deserve a little patience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.