Mike Has a "Message"

Discussion in 'News' started by Andrea, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OkamiSensei

OkamiSensei gas.mask.angel

I pretty much agree with everything said in the last two pages. Having 42 organize this thing would've been quite awesome, but how do we know this even is an ARG? For all we know, it could just be one of those "reveal part of the picture every once in a while".
    Whatever it is though, they should definitely get to updating it soon if they want us to still be interested.

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Amen to that.

3. Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I've been part of a lot of ARG experiences, too. I know the wait is part of the game, however there has to be incentive, that relates back to what you're trying to promote. I'm not aware of the movie you posted so I can't say, but I'm sure even with that there's an underlining meaning, and there's some incentive or reason it exists. I'm assuming that website is a tie-in to an eventual movie release. That much is known. With a movie, you also have the synopsis and so on to lend to further speculation to keep you busy. However with this, we've got nothing and we're all assuming this is leading to LP's new album announcement, yet nothing in the first or second GIF suggests that's even what it's about. This could be the countdown to the video, to the album or to Mike's announcement he just took a really big number-two. We're given nothing except "more is coming". More of what, them telling us more is coming?

The fact is while viral campaigns are built on the idea of suspense and excitement you have to give your audience reason to remain intrigued. I'll cut this short by presenting another example: Hideo Kojima's famous for using countdowns and viral techniques to spread the word on a new game or announcement. While he's beloved in the gaming industry, his countdowns tend to be very... questionable. How questionable? He once had a countdown count down to another count down. That is a stupid idea. I feel LP are treading very closely to Kojima territory simply because the excitement this brings is stemming from the fact something new is on the horizon. Fans don't know what it is, but they trust it's leading to something. But like Kojima's countdown to a countdown, this is turning into a know-nothing confusion-fest where people are going to eventually become disinterested. Not because it's doing things like other campaigns, but simply because the execution stinks.

4. Derek

Whole truth in a sentence. Right there.

5. site_two

site_two Banned

I'd have to say that it was a very brilliant idea from LP, but with this sort of campaign they need something call consistency? Perhaps if they told us that say "every 3 - 4 days it will be updated" or that it was something which could be figured out (which we all assumed in the first place)
    I already get the impression that this was a bad move by LP, but hopefully i'm wrong.

6. spraypaintnink

spraypaintnink Banned

It's been a week since big LP news today was promised. Bad marketing is bad.

7. youknowhu

youknowhu Well-Known Member

I'm praying that there will be a reason why they're drawing this out so long. They can't be that oblivious to the effect their poor marketing has on the fans. Maybe in the end (ha, LP song) we'll realize why they're taking so long. Maybe it'll be a good thing.

8. Ace31

Ace31 Well-Known Member

Oh Kojima and his countdowns! That was for Metal Gear Solid: Rising, right?

9. Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

At this point... I think Mike just got WAY ahead of himself last Monday about making a "BIG" annoucment only to find out either A. He can't say anything yet cause Warner says so or B. Everything didn't set into play like Mike thought it would and the band itself is sitting back waiting to find out when the single will be released and the release date of the album.

So... Mike makes this "Message" to cover up his "getting ahead of himself". I'm sure he is just as excited about this album as the fans are... I guess shit happens. But man... this "Message" has pushed alot of buttons with folks. :lol:

10. site_two

site_two Banned

Yeah perhaps it's something to do with Warner, it wouldn't surprise me

11. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

Thread is now surpassed 1337. Bets we get more messages this week?

12. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I demanded what now? haha jk.

but in all seriousness, i wish they wouldve just told us the announcement already. i think its about time to move on to something a little less childish like that message thing that i wasted HOURS on looking at, just to get "More Messages Coming Soon". i find that to be bullshit in itself. I REALLY want to hear the new album, and from what we heard about how the first single is going to sound from a third party individual, it has gotten me intrigued. But if this keeps up, its going to really disappoint me, and almost make this wait worthless.

13. Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I hope we get something this week... just for the sake of the fans. I can't imagine the frustration we'll see if a week goes by with no update. :lol:
    Yep... *sigh*

14. Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

I do understand that everyone is a tad pissed and tired of waiting after a week and rightly so, but I've got no problem with waiting personally. We have waited about 3 years for this record, a few more days or even weeks ain't going to bother me that much.

15. LP/DBS/FMFreak8908

LP/DBS/FMFreak8908 Well-Known Member

hopefully this "Message" will be revealed REALLY SOON:D:headbang:

16. L₳ζ₳Я

L₳ζ₳Я The Evil Speculator

Well it says "more messages coming soon" and despite my bad English i can tell you this, if there is an "s" at the end of a word, that means it's plural. Equals more messages equals even more updates and even more torturing. Hopefully they will go word by word and not give us random latters and numbers. No more riddles, my brain is gonna explode.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  17. Errol

Errol Well-Known Member

I was refering to Kojima xD

18. mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

on the contrary i think the fact that we are all this excited, and talking about the "message" this much, makes this campaign pretty successful. I wouldn't even call this a campaign yet really....but whatever it's doing it's certainly creating hype isn't it?

19. {L}EcM3311{P}

{L}EcM3311{P} Well-Known Member

Only LP would create this much suspense. They know they're one of the best bands ever

20. Derek

The thing that makes this whole new album so difficult, is because I still think (thanks to Hybrid Theory) that Linkin Park are one of the most uniquely creative bands of the last decade. The sound of Hybrid Theory still feels fresh today and still is original, despite that sound later being copied by other groups and being done to death. It's the only record that really did that whole sound "right", and it's because of this that I've been eagerly awaiting the next LP record to amaze me as much as that record continues to do to this date. I know we'll never get another Hybrid Theory, but I know these guys have the power to re-invent themselves and come up with a sound we'd never expect, because they've done it before.

I'm just so afraid I'll hear all these people saying the album is "WAY DIFFERENT" and then hear it myself and be disappointed because it still sounds like MTM or another Meteora. That's my biggest fear.

I wanna be blown away, and feel the same thing I did before. I know this band can do it...they just can't go into this with the intention of doing what they've done before. They need to throw out their rulebook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.