A Thousand Suns 6 Track Sampler Review

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    -NodA-

-NodA- Well-Known Member

Hi guys, here is my translation, hope it will help you :

1) No title [4'39"]
    It starts with a long intro, we hear successively the drums, the synths and then the vocals. On the first verse, Chester Bennington sings alone and there is an almost dancing rhythm. A big electro break reminds the great album Reanimation and breaks the rhythm of the song. Mike Shinoda only appears during the bridge. He put his voice quietly, then the song go back in power. The song ends with an « a capella » of both singers.

2) No title [4'13"]
    The song starts with what could be the voice of a politician talking to the crowd. An electro guitar riff really starts the song. Mike Shinoda raps on the first verse. Chester sings the chorus with a « Hey ! Hey ! ». On the opposite of the first song, Mike Shinoda, who co-produced the album with Rick Rubin (Slayer, Metallica, Slipknot) is very present on this song.

3) No title [4'00"]
    A guitar and a piano introduce the third song. Mike Shinoda vocals are very surprising, almost ragga ! The chorus isn’t really identifiable at first. The song doesn’t have a real structure. Linkin Park let the usual verse/chorus structure. For the first time, we can hear a guitar solo from Brad Delson at the end of the song (it seems that the writer haven’t heard In Pieces or TLTGYA lol).

4) No title [4'35"]
    On this song, the tempo is slower. The intensity of the song progressively increases. And like the first songs, there isn’t a real chorus. Have Linkin Park decided to make an album that will be hardly played on radio ?

5) No title [4'26"]
    This is the most surprising song. Just like « Breaking the Habit » on Meteora, Chester sings alone. It’s different because the song suffers from a lack of depth. There is no guitar until the 3rd minute. Chester often repeats "I'm losing what I don't deserve". Potential title : « What I don’t Deserve ».

6) "The Catalyst" [5'42"]
    The 1st single of the album. We can expect a more formatted song, in the spirit of Linkin Park did on their past albums... Well, it’s not. We are very far from « Somewhere I Belong » (Meteora, 2003) or « What I’ve Done » (Minutes To Midnight, 2007). The name of the album, A Thousand Suns, comes from the lyrics of this song. Funny detail, the piano part coming at the end sonds like the songs "Le Grand Secret" from Indochine and Melissa Auf Der Maur ! (FYI, it’s a french rock band from the 80’s).

With these 6 songs, we have the nice feeling that Linkin Park took a real risk with this album. No more formatted songs or radio-friendly chorus. From what we heard of the WEA person, the 6 others songs are a lot more guitar-driven. So the album promises to be a tasty mix between experimentations and big rock songs. Wait and see…

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

ok after looking up Ragga on google, i am even more interested as in how the hell this album is going to sound

Definitions of Ragga on the Web:

Raggamuffin music, usually abbreviated as ragga, is a sub-genre of dancehall music or reggae, in which the instrumentation primarily consists of electronic music. Sampling often serves a prominent role in raggamuffin music as well.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragga
    a subgenre of reggae that incorporates hip hop, rhythm and blues and sampling; dancehall
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ragga

-NodA-

-NodA- Well-Known Member

This "ragga" definition sounds like "There They Go" (Fort Minor).

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

Thank you, NodA!

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Given the track lenghts and the fact we know there's 6 more songs, it looks like we could be getting a full hour of music with ATS.

I think you're trying to force a connection.

These samplers that are going around are not finished tracks. They are rough mixes and may even be slightly different musically and lyrically to what ends up on the album.

Mike posted this back in November. 5 (not 6) almost finished songs. That doesn't include final mixing, just writing. (Mixing should start this week or next week, as Mike said they wanted to finish up "this week or next week", last week.)

That was 9 months ago, given that they've been constantly writing there's every chance that the songs on the sampler aren't the same 5 Mike mentions here, nor is it a given that those 5 have even made the album.

I still don't get where you say "these songs seem to be very different from the songs they are creating now." There's nothing to infer that. ?.

lp_mohd

lp_mohd Banned

woooooooow i can't wait

bytheway i'm new here heheh

i'm reading all the news here like 3 years now and i never Registered n this site weird heheheh

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Well now you have! Welcome to LPA!

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I just love waking up to stuff like this! I guess LP decided to fuck the radio with these song lengths which is fine by me! I like how Mike is rapping and singing in multiple tracks with just these 6 songs. The only thing that makes me a little hesitant is when it says in 2 songs that there's "no identified chorus". It's ok to branch out from vcvcbc but completely ditching a chorus in a song is...interesting.

Kwik-e

Kwik-e And now, you've become a part of me.

I dont think that it means there no chorus, im pretty sure it means its just not easy to find.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Just so you know I'm 100% okay with No chorus. :)

Jeff

hell yeah. im getting even more pumped about this album every time i see news about it :lol: :miagi: :awesome:

Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Holyyy... well i'd say so much vulgarity to be banned instantly, so let me scream in a vase for a minute...

... this waiting is killing me now sincerly.

EDIT: the fact is, i felt for a year long this could possibly the best album yet, it MUST be. And now through this describtions, i am so hyped up. Specially considering i was never let down by a LP song, i gues i can only adore this.
    Plus: we might get a 60 minutes cd here :D or 55 minimum

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Im loving the track lengths. I just really want MORE HAHN!!!

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I love how this could end up being an hour long! It means more LP in 1 album (and convenient for traveling).

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I'm beyond down for this.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You do know what Hahn means in German right? It makes your talk about lengths pretty funny. :D

LPkillz

LPkillz Well-Known Member

I wonder how the concerts are gonna be like with these new songs. Plus they said that it will be really intense filled with lots of visual arts and stuff when they play live which is going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LP4EVER 9.14.10

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I hope that this album will finally turn away little kids from LP. I hate when 12 year old kid says to me that Linkin Park is also his favourite band...

Jeff

HAHAHAH OMG!

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

:lol:!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.