The Catalyst Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Haha we can dream right?

2. Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

And they cut the outro...with the a Capella bit. Which is basically my favorite part.

--

I quite enjoyed the video! I found it funny though that the thing that I kept noticing the most was TEETH. Teeth were everywhere in this video! It was bizarre.
    Aside from that, haha, I thought it was a great video. I do think that some parts were a bit vague and being that the song is so long, they could have expanded a bit on the destruction and everything near the beginning of the video.
    But I LOVE the slow motion and unlike a lot of people, I loved the darkness and whatnot. It really sets the atmosphere of creepiness that the end of the world should create.
    Thumbs up, LP. :)

3. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Dude you own...

4. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

/coughcough http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd_The_Wall_(film)

But aside from that nitpicking, it's possible.

5. Asua

Asua Well-Known Member

Leave out all the rest was way better than this.

Someone in the band needs to grow some balls and tell Joe that they'll try using another director for the next single.

LP being one of the biggest bands around, they sure can hire big name directors. Joseph Kahn?

6. ...

... Well-Known Member

Agree.

Joe's videos are Zzz

7. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I honestly thought Leave Out All The Rest was meh.

8. hivoltage

hivoltage Member

[Begin First Post Intro] I've been a fan of LP since 2001. Back in high school, as an aspiring web developer, I used to build little flash media players that featured new singles and videos that would get used on a few different fan sites. Interestingly enough, Linkin Park started doing this officially a little after I did it and then WB sent me a seize and desist. Way to treat a fan evangelizing their favorite band huh? I also designed a few different LP fan sites that were big at the time, but slowly fizzled out. Anyways, just wanted to say hey to the longtime fans and props to LPA for somehow staying around as long as you have. I figured with the new album coming out, I might create an account and chime in on the news discussion every once in a while. [End First Post Intro]

Now about the video. The imagery is fantastic, I will give it that. And the potential behind the theme could have yielded an amazing work of art, but I have a few problems with it. Does Joe Hahn have to have random people running around in every other video he does? It is pointless, it doesn't look like chaos it looks like a bunch of extras running around. I also have a big problem with the gas masks: it is an LP cliche (Meteora cover, FRGT/10 video, etc). It does not exemplify the fresh start of this new album.

Overall, I think the theme of finding beauty in destruction is perfect. They should have embraced that with this video and been more daring. Do something that shows this contrast, almost to the point of controversy (How could so much destruction be so beautiful? It's not right!). I think he was trying to do it with some of the color dust, but it just came off as dark and monotone and was too little.

LP has the unique opportunity to give the music industry some life and resurrect both the full length album and the music video. Not many musicians have the artistic chops as them. They can be that bridge. They can make people realize music can be more than a snippet of audible splendor based around a catchy hook and strong beat; it can a total sensory experience. I just want them to take that last step they need to, but they never do. I am seeing it more with their music, but their art and videos aren't making that connection yet.

9. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

lulz at how similar Joseph Kahn's name is to Joe Hahn

Anway, I loved the video. Certainly the Creepiest/darkest one so far. Had some great images & amazing moments in it. Editing wise, it could have been better & it never ligered in some places long enough (or in some cases too much, like chester upsideown in the water- tho cool that was) but totally needs more views to fully appreciate it. But it still PWNS what I've done & many of the MTM vids in turns of sheer style.

Though its weird of me to say, I'm sill fond of the 'lyric' video posted up on LPTV haha

10. hivoltage

hivoltage Member

The last thing they should be doing is hiring Britney Spears' director to make them a catchy pop video. They are trying to make art here. I think what they should be doing is storyboarding the videos collectively as a band and treating it like their music: an extension of their art. Joe Hahn is a perfectly competent director, its the story behind the videos that need some work. They treat their videos as an afterthought.

11. maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

Ok ive just read all 11 pages of comments and some of u who commented on Mike's look and what he looks like and stuff like cracked me up lmao

Now the video: fuckin awesome. I will say that New Divide is better..the song is catchy and the video is real trippy BUT this video is also amazing..the effects..the look of Mike yes its genius, the emotions from Chester and everything looks awesome. i think it deserves an award for sure!

12. Asua

Asua Well-Known Member

That's not fare. He's done mv's for numerous artist. I love what he did for Eminem's 'Love the way you lie'. Or if arty stuff is your thing, look what Kanye West has done for his new single 'Power'. Now that my friend looks epic in scale. Joe's videos just don't cut it unfortunately.

13. Edbert

Edbert Well-Known Member

After seeing the video a couple of times, I have to say the effects, smoke and paint were pretty cool... But the way Mike sings in the car doesn't feel right to me... he moves too much and somewhere in the middle, his tongue stick out too much! LOL... Also, just like what some of you said, there were too many slow motion movements in the video...

But overall, pretty awesome video. I'd give it a 7/10... I still personally think that ND, LOATR, and SOTD was better....

14. maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

ur the 2nd one to mention Mike's tongue...who cares? lol

15. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

He won "Best rock video" At the MTV awards with Shadow of the Day. Just sayin'.

16. hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I really really liked the video, a lot. It was totally fresh and allowed for even more enjoyment of the song. It was better than any MTM-era video.

17. lp_mohd

lp_mohd Banned

how old r u?
    LOATR made by joe hahn and u r saying change the director
    idon't get it

18. Asua

Asua Well-Known Member

How about a Grammy? Oh, he hasn't won those since Hybrid Theory. Just sayin.

and for lp_mohd.

Exactly, one good mv from the M2M era. Just not good enough

But serously, his best has to be 'Breaking the Habit' ,yet you could really credit the artists for that, not so much Joe.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  19. lp_mohd

lp_mohd Banned

1-WID 2-NUMB 3-FROM THE ISIDE 4- THE CATALYST 5-PAPRECUT
    MY TOP 5 VIDEOS

20. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

STOP DOING POSTS IN ALL CAPS.

This is your last warning.

@Hivoltage: Welcome to LPA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.