Wretches & Kings - Out Now

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noonetohearme

noonetohearme Member

sorry bout that buddy

2. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

For fucking sure. I say we all prey for an encore performance of this shit at the VMA's.

3. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

No problem dude, it's all good. :thumbsup: Welcome to the site by the way, good to have you here.

Haha, we can hope. If they played this instead that would be awesome, it's safe to say this isn't as friendly as The Catalyst. All the kids would shit their pants.

4. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

First off, I must say I have always preferred the more Chester-centered songs that Linkin Park has produced such as No More Sorrow and New Divide, and I would definitely class this as a Mike song, in the same stem as Nobody's Listening and High Voltage.

Now that that's out of the way, I must say that the beat on this song is absolutely incredible. It's dark, it's dirty, and more importantly, it's edgy. While comparisons of Hybrid Theory and Meteora could easily be made to this song, it still differentiates itself to make a new sound.

I would definitely say though, that while I do enjoy Mike's rapping in Dedicated and High Voltage, along with LP's 2 nu-metal albums, I am pretty indifferent to his new "reggae" style here. Maybe it will come to grow on me like his distorted vocals in The Catalyst, but for now his lines are the least attractive part of the song. Chester's vocals on the other hand sound crazy and original. I know I would have loved this song more if he had a more prominent role.

This song will blow our minds on stage. I can picture the crowd going absolutely nuts when the opening speech stars (unless they cut straight to the crunching synths). I can also see Chester screaming at certain points to add more energy and edge to the track, especially right before his 2nd chorus, and the outro, which could easily be extended.

Thats just my impressions of the track. I will not rate it, along with The Catalyst, until I have fully experienced A Thousand Suns multiple times after release.

5. PFortyy

PFortyy Banned

Haven't gotten the email yet :(

6. Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

I'm loving this track, don't see what the beef some people have with it is, but to each his own.

7. shadowofthehabit92

shadowofthehabit92 Well-Known Member

Holy crap. I'm loving it!!! Sounds different with the reggae vibe but diggin the beats most definitely! Mr. Hahn at the end is pretty sweet.

8. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Alright, now that I've listened to it several more times (using both gnarly base driven stereo systems as well as headphones), I think I can really express my thoughts on it clearly now.

What I Like:
    -The distorted and grungy sound the song layers itself with.
    -Chester's chorus bits.
    -Scratching at the end.

What I Dislike:
    -The speech is used twice in the song (I think using it once, whether it be in the beginning or the end of the song, would've been sufficient).
    -Chorus piece seems too short.
    -Lack of any real bridge.

What I'm Still Evaluating:
    -Mike's rapping is so much different than it ever has been. In Hybrid Theory and Meteora, he always used a very sharp, flowing method of rapping. You all know what I mean. Bleed It Out and Hands Held High were steps away from that, and Wretches And Kings takes the style even further away. It's still growing on me, but as of now I don't like it as much as his rapping in songs such as Faint or Papercut.

Final Thoughts:

I enjoy the song quite a bit. However, when I first heard The Catalyst, I was able to immediately say it would rank in my Top 10 favorite songs of LP's. Still, a month later, that has not changed, The Catalyst is one of my favorite songs LP has put out. Wretches And Kings, however, wouldn't fall into that category. I like it a lot, but it's definitely not Top 10 worthy, not yet anyways.

OVERALL: 7/10

(as a reference, I would give The Catalyst 9/10)

9. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

I wish the mixer or who ever would have turned down the music so you would be able to here chesters part more clearly to hear whats he is saying

10. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Wow, these are my thoughts exactly. Our likes dislike lists are basically identical. The song is pretty short. If you took away both speeches, I think it would be under 3 minutes. I definitely would have wanted a little longer chorus.

11. Joe

I hear his vocals okay, but I know what you're saying. When Chester's parts kick in, my bass like doubles from what it was in the verse. This is a good thing to me though. :lol:

12. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

That's happened a few times now I think. lol we must just be similar people. Even our names are the same.

Although I don't think the song would be under 3 minutes. The speech is like 25 seconds or something, so it would probably still be a little over. I get what you're saying though.

13. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

19 times played on iTunes so far :lol: I'm happier that we got this song, instead of clips.

14. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Honestly, I disagree. lol I literally don't have the willpower to not listen to the song...but I wanted to make it so that I could listen to every song at once when I got the album. Now we have this and The Catalyst, and apparently four more songs will be played next week. The surprises will start to wear thin.

15. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Dislikes:
    none.

so there. Its a little early to be breaking down the song this early. I can't look at it critically until I'm done tasting it first, I don't understand why others would. Music is an emotional thing.

I can't believe double posting is something to whine over. Good grief, use your scroll button. I'm used to people getting warning posts for mini-modding on the other boards im used to.

16. Linkinarmy

Linkinarmy Sins of our fathers LPA VIP

Joe hahns gonna have his hands full with all the synths and stuff.

17. NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

I know what you're saying. To me it sounds like someone trying to freestyle. Plus his rhymes are so elementary. On first listen you already knew what words were coming next.

18. Joe

You DO have a choice, you don't have to listen to them. Fight the power! :lol:

19. Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

I like it. Sounds more like Reanimation than HT/Meteora to me.

I liked it more than The Catalyst on a first listen, and The Catalyst really grew on me, so I hope the same happens with this one.

20. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Uuhh.......where the fuck is my email?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.