A Thousand Suns Leaked

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Its too damn hard for me to decide to be honest. Its a tie between Iridescent and Burning in the Skies I think.

2. Quiksand

Quiksand Member

For me it's a toss up between Blackout, WTCFM, WFTE, and Iridescent

Way too hard to decide at the moment

3. SonnyIanni

SonnyIanni Well-Known Member

I think Iridescent is.

4. Stormus08

Stormus08 Well-Known Member

BLAH!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

6. bigdiximab

bigdiximab Member

My review of A Thousand Suns

I'm an avid fan of old school LP. M2M wasn't my favorite, but I did enjoy a select tracks. It looks like from reading what other

people write, any negative comments about the new album are met with flamethrowers. So here goes nothing.

1. The Requiem - Starts out ok, but seems to drag out a bit. The robot doing the vocals for The Catalyst sounds like something

from an Enya track. The intro from M2M/Meteora definitely trumps this.

2. The Radiance - I think we can agree that one intro is enough or the tracks should have been combined. This will probably get

skipped every time I go through the album.

3. Burning in the Skies - Totally not LP's style. I like how it picks up around the 2:40 mark, but the song doesn't really have

any other redeeming features. Definitely don't like the way the track ends. I was hoping it was building for a heavy ending.

4. Empty Spaces - What you'll probably hear after LP plays Burning in the Skies live (crickets chirping).

Track 5 and I'm only 7 minutes into the album.

5. When They Come for Me - Reminds me of Nobody's Listening on Meteora - a different style of rapping. I cringe when Mike says

"forfeit the game" because, whether or not it's a tribute from HT, it's redundant. The song could have done without all the F-

bombs. I can handle profanity in my songs, but that's part of what gave Linkin Park so much class before. They had released 2

albums of hard rock and rapping that could have been pretty dirty but were lyrically clean. Not too keen on the Arabic sounding

singing in the chorus. In all, probably a track I will be listening to again.

6. Robot Boy - Yawn. Too easy to get lost in the song because it all sounds the same. You could fast forward halfway through the

song and swear you're still at the beginning. This should belong on a Coldplay album.

7. Jornada del Muerto - Another boring intro/transition song. Sounds like it could be a part of the last track. Good thing it's

only a minute and a half long.

8. Waiting for the End - This song has so much potential it's ridiculous. So disappointed because I heard the chorus preview

before the album release and it sounded great. The song is lyrically sound, but the background music doesn't do it justice at

all. Scream some of Chester's part, back it by some hard guitars, and for God's sake, speed it up a little bit (way too many slow

tracks already). Do this and this song would rock your face off. I'll give the band credit for this one, though, because I can

see Rick Rubin's shitty influence plastered all over this.

9. Blackout - Here we go. I've seen a ton of positive reviews about this song already, and I can see why. This one will wake you

up from the lull the past couple tracks have put you into. Again with some of the background music - no idea what instrument

that's playing, but it sounds like it could go into an early 90's PC game. Glad we finally saw some scratching on the album, too.

Oh, and please can the techno shit around 2:45, this is LP, not Moby, and this cannot be done live. (Speaking of live, remember

how much better No More Sorrow sounded when played live with a guitar? That's what I'm talking about.)

10. Wretches and Kings - If this song started 20 seconds later and skipped the (yet another) intro, I would give it a solid A+.

Hard all the way through, great rapping, and Chester is awesome. Yes, ladies and gents, this is how LP sounds.

11. Wisdom, Justice, and Love - more speech, more robot voice, another pointless track. skip.

12. Iridescent - I kind of laughed when I first heard this because I thought someone put a fake track in the album. But it's

real. This song will probably get a lot of play time on your local soft rock station. My mom heard the song the first time I

played through the album and started singing it. Enough said.

13. Fallout - Again with the electronic voice, I can see the NSYNC influence on the album, no doubt. And yet another track that

doesn't scrape a minute and a half. Come on, seriously? There is no point in this track. Chalk up the 6th intro track in the

album.

14. The Catalyst - Mike must have forgotten there is more than one note that you can sing. This song is way too chorus driven,

but the chorus isn't enough to hold the song together. Not a big fan of the electric drums and whatever else. But this song has

been discussed way too much.

15. The Messenger - I have not yet been able to listen to this song the whole way through without having to shut it off.

Seriously, this is probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life. Chester is singing way out of his vocal range, and

it's certainly evident. This is a great song to listen to at bedtime.

I'm not trying to be a dick about the album review. I can say I'm honestly disappointed that we only got two or three decent tracks out of 15. I'm prepared for anyone who wants to flame me.

RIP LP 2001-2005

7. Stormus08

Stormus08 Well-Known Member

Lol, good call.

8. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  9. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Me too. <3 Blackout.

10. Mitch

Mitch YTB

Agree with Blackout. Love that sampled/distorted guitar part.

11. INK12Many

INK12Many Well-Known Member

I'm proud at what LP did with this album absolutly agree to how this record has to be listened from beginning to end.
    Love "Burning in the skies" "robot boy" and "iridescent"

I love how they named the track "when they come for me"
    Mike knows what's coming when the HT fans hear this track... Lol

12. SonnyIanni

SonnyIanni Well-Known Member

Blackout is pretty good. I love the scream!

13. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I love the second half of "Blackout" over the first. I've had a blasting headache for the past 2 days so maybe that's why I don't like the first half with the screaming lol. "Blackout" will be kick ass live though.

14. lparker55

lparker55 Well-Known Member

Bigdximab i totally agree with everything you just said... That review was awesome, everything I felt was justified after reading your review

I finally heard the album in it's entirety, even tho there were moments of wow this sounds good, overall I was left scratching my head wondering what I just listened to and where LP went... TOO many soft slow tracks, even the tracks that had potential to be good like WFTE had instruments in it that didn't make any sense... I just felt like LP tried to experiment sooooooooooo much that it sounds like they were on drugs while making this album... My brother even agreed with me on that on. He said were they on something while making that album haha... I laughed and then just went hmm... LP really disappointed me and it hurts to say that

15. maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

yeahh i cant wait till they play it live!! it is defently "moshable" lol

16. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Nooooo damn clue how they're gonna play this live.

17. maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

oh they'll find a way lol

18. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

The best track for me in this album is Robot Boy.
    The slow, repetitive and layered vocals paints a dreamy landscape. I love the vocal effects and the synths. It sounds ethereal (?) and it feels like my conscience is talking to me. Haha
    The buildup toward the 2:55 mark is great, the beats get louder and more synth noise is added. Chester's high-pitched shouting in the background plays inside my head (on headphones). The track then seamlessly spills over to Jornada Del Muerto with Japanese "Lift me up, let me go." For me, the imagery in Jornada Del Muerto is very powerful.

19. laidlaw2010

laidlaw2010 Member

Respect!

Hey all, first post, i was a fort minor fan (was a member on those forums i think) coming from an old school/underground hip hop background and mike basically lead me to all the other linkin park albums. Im not that big on the metal scene, i do appreciate alternative rock and many other genres of music like electronica, trip hop, lounge, rnb.

Can i just give LP respect where respect is due. I just listened to the whole leak and they have made what i believe to be is a NON-COMMERCIAL record. Listening to some of these tracks, i cant really say any of them are singles. HT, MTM, meteora (forgive me for saying), all the songs were radio friendly and every single one of them could have been singles. Not to mention that Meteora IMHO was an exact replica of HT and i found it to be disqusting to say the least. The only thing i liked about Meteora was Session (the only song on meteora that is better than its evil twin counterpart, cure for the itch) and Breaking the habbit (just because it was so out of place and different).

This new record sounds like a soundtrack to a movie and i quite enjoyed the whole experience of hearing all these different sounds and experimentations. Lyrically, this album shits on all of the lyrics that LP have come up with on their previous albums. I only liked Hybrid theory for its sound and was never really into the lyrics that much. Call me crazy, but from a LP fan that likes Reanimation more than any of the other albums, i believe this to be LP's best album to date.

So, big props go out to M.Shinoda, as i believe he produced all of this, and also to LP in general for having balls and putting out a record like this.

20. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

I love the contrast of The Messenger compared to the rest of the album. it's so raw, no synth, no voice effects, just Chester, an acoustic guitar, and a piano.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.