Projected A Thousand Suns Sales

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

People were expecting MTM to be like the previous two albums. When it wasn't their fan base declined.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Actually, album sales have been on a dramatic decline, even in the last 3 years.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was about to say-- Music piracy becomes bigger and bigger by the half-year. Like I said, Besy Buy themselves are seriously considering moving the CD section out of their stores due to CD sales decline. I wonder what other/if other stores are considering this?

Ant

Ant Ambient

Guys, to put this into perspective: this outsold Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" by about 60,000 when it comes to first week sales.

Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

It's completely understandable that this album is not going to sell as big as LP's previous records, it was to be expected, I don't know why people are perplexed about it. Unlike the rest of their albums, this is an album that hasn't been written in a way that appeals to many people, it's the least commercial stuff they have ever written. And of course, when you don't write radio-friendly, commercial songs anymore, you're not going to sell as big as you used to. I'm quite sure they knew it was not going to be as commercially successful as their previous albums when they were writing it, that's how it is in music industry these days, if you want to sell, in most cases you should write commercial music, if you go for something more serious and challenging, you will not end up selling big. 30 or 40 years ago this wasn't the case, since back then, the majority of people listened to good music, nowadays, commercial music sells more than non-commercial music, that's all that there is to it.

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

Boy ATS was really horrible. I only liked 3 songs (kings, backout, look for me), Catalyst ... not bad.

hivoltage

hivoltage Member

It's the number one album on iTunes though.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Meteora is at 5 stars in terms of user ratings on iTunes.

I rest my case.

Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

When the album is not for commercial, well, it is not easy to listen to + not easily to get instant fan.
    And mostly, people who judge the album by 1 time listen or don't know about their effort will bash it.

And almost those "hardcore fan" on iTune are mostly:
    1. HT/M fans and they did not follow LP, just when they release an album and they return
    2. Instant fan from HT/M or MTM fans who searched for M/HT and liked them

The very few people:
    3. Followed the band, knew their effort but still hate ATS.

And these 3 kind of people are the biggest part of LP fanbase (IMO). This is why the album..currently not work very well on selling.

And it is funny that lots of people who I met judged that ATS is more commercial than HT/M and MTM XD. They think LP need money so they made an album with soft songs XD.

bartorious

bartorious Member

well linkin park needed a wake up call....and there it go's

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Wake up call or not they're never returning back to Hybrid Theory. The band has said this numerous times.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I agree with Derek. Shall I recite the lyrics for When They Come For Me ?

Rwey964637

Rwey964637 Active Member

lol how can you really say that? Yeah, such a wake up call when your album, even though is selling less than what you normally sell, is still the #1 selling album. Considering Disturbed sold 250K opening week, LP still out sold them and they didn't even change there sound, real "wake up call".

Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

Does halo reach have something to do with this? lol

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

A wake up call? I'm sorry to say that numbers don't really matter. Sure it would be nice to sell lots of records, but sales does not equal quality. That is a piss poor logic. I'm more impressed with the band's ability to progress their sound and move away from what made them famous, because that became boring to them and easy to replicate by a shit ton of other bands. They have kept me as a fan by changing, not by playing the same tired formula for ten years. The artists who need a wake up call are the same artists pushing out the same tired album time after time, just to comform with what is commercially acceptable.

Unfortunately, sales are never going to be as huge as they were 3-7-10 years ago and it doesn't matter. This is not a big deal. They're still in line to be number one and more importantly they're selling out arenas fast. People still have an interest in Linkin Park and they are by no means losing fans, except probably the ones who weren't fans to begin with but just liked that nu-metal sound. That's not Linkin Park.

There are so many factors that apply to album sales and just because they're lower doesn't mean they're not as successful. I measure success by their ability to make music, and how much they challenge themselves and learn from each album to the next, not sales. I'm sure the band knew the risks when making this album and I hope they really don't care about the sales figures because they're making fans like me happy, by being different and more importantly making the music they want to make, and that is what will always have my respect.

bartorious

bartorious Member

oh yeah i know that...trust me im moving forward with the band...but it seems others ain't...i love ATS because it really is a journey....but others outside of the lp fanbase don't catch that all they hear is soft soft soft....and it's sad

misery

misery Well-Known Member

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was horrible.

A little lower than I expected, but it's really not a commercial album and album sales have declined a ton, so whatever. The music is great and that's what matters most.

lprullzBG

lprullzBG Active Member

I'd love to see them #1 again :)

Look for me?!

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

damn

ArisLP

ArisLP Active Member

250,000 - 260,000 it's VERY low considering we are talking for LINKIN PARK!!!! come on guys change in the sound is always welcome but not so much...you musn't forget what you are or why you are where you are(i know it sounds weird)...ok they have all grown up they are not little kids with red hair and piercings...M2M was really good...but this is awayyyy too far...i like it don't get me wrong....it's just that this change shouldn't have come this far..it's like u2 from pop getting to rock..imagine bono screaming his insides out.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.