Projected A Thousand Suns Sales

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    fido

fido Active Member

whatever it is but realistically speaking, these reviews are also counted and gives an impression and have effect on sales :(

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

How come when people talk about legendary bands that haven't changed their style they always bring up bands who have lost their commercial appeal a long time ago?

maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

is that song REALLY about the fans crying for old Linkin Park or just the fans interpretation of it?

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

the line

"cuz once you got the theory of how the thing works- everybody wants the next thing to be just like the 1st"

And Mike don't play that shit

maclieberman

ah i gotcha now..interesting..i always thought the band didnt care what the fans who only want old LP back had to say..i guess they do lol

LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

You go Joe!

LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Every Artist should feel this way.

Quiksand

Quiksand Member

Why would you believe that the album is not good because of the reviews? Who the hell cares what other people think about this album. You listen to music because it is something you enjoy. I don't listen to certain songs or bands because everyone thinks it's good or because it gets excellent reviews. I listen to music that I enjoy and have a connection to. As long as Linkin Park enjoys making music music that is all that matters.

As for album sales....250k is lower then what I might have thought, but it's not bad. The main reason MTM did so well (besides being 3 years ago) is it was the first album for Linkin Park after a 4 year hiatus and Meteora.

Linkin Park will sellout all their concerts and many people still love them and their music so it's all good.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I will agree that this is low. Yeah, the album leaked. But with Eminem's Recovery, it leaked 2 or so weeks before and that sold over 700,000 the first week it was actually released. I guess that just means LP isn't as popular as Eminem. But boy, I didn't think it was that big of a margin.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Yes, Hybrid Theory was the album that made me a fan (and was my gateway to music in general) almost 10 years ago. The thing is I've changed a lot since then, I look for different things when listening to music now and as such much of HT doesn't do a whole lot for me any more, so I understand that LP look for different things in writing music now as opposed to back then.

"That's what made you famous in the first place" isn't a valid reason to keep doing something and it's totally ridiculous when some people try to use it as ammo to tear down the new thing, "OMG you turned your back on your fans! You wouldn't be where you are without us!" (I would have typed that as "OMG U TRND UR BAK!!!1111" etc but for some reason I have to think a lot harder and it takes longer to type stupidly.^_^)

Fact is we don't own the band, the band doesn't owe us anything and they should feel free to do whatever they want.

And I swear, if I see someone say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".... :koolpee:
    This is art, not a toaster.

EDIT:
    Not really.. or they care just enough to flip the birdy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Guys, calm down. This is not a commercial type of album. How much it's being sold, is not an issue. This album was made to take a person on a journey, (so whoever picks it up is one honored person). Yeah some people are disappointed because it isn't HT or M, But that's really their problem. I think that it's a great album, and that numbers are just a bunch of shit.

So basically what I'm trying to say is: This album wasn't made to be a huge seller! It was made to give us something that we will never forget.

Linkin Park are still the same guys we love. And they've given us something incredible. And I thank them for that. :)

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Eminem is WAY more commercialized and controversial than Linkin Park though. Once everyone heard Not Afraid, they got excited, that Eminem was finally back to making good music, because God knows how awful Relapse was.

AndydLP

AndydLP Well-Known Member

This is "projected" sales for the US only and doesn't take into account worldwide sales! Also, I got this from the net as to how album sales are calculated in the US:

"Example:
    Monday September 13 — sales tracking week begins
    Sunday September 19 — sales tracking week ends
    Thursday September 23 — new chart published"

I've said it before and I'll say it again now, its ridiculous that albums get released on a Tuesday in the US when common sense should tell you it should be a Friday or Monday like most countries. It further ridiculifies! it that the billboard sales tracking week begins on a Monday!
    What I'm trying to say is this is one less day of sales that should be included in the overall tally in the first week of release.

Slightly off-topic:
    I also see that a lot of those hardcore fans are getting grief from the other hardcore for comparing ATS to HT or Meteora and complaining that ATS is not HT or Meteora (itunes/youtube reviews etc).
    It seems the hardcore fans are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If you've been a fan of LP since HT then you f-ing loved Meteora when it was released..don't try to deny it. Meteora has been getting a lot of unwarranted hate in the forums (including this forum) in the build up and subsequent release of ATS. Its being slated because its seen as the twin brother of HT...so what! Meteora is a great album and always will be in my book. I just don't get how LP can get hate for trying something new or repeating themselves. Again...damned if they do.....

I wouldn't class myself as a fan of Metallica or Green Day and they've been around a while. Yet, everytime I hear one of their songs it sounds the same as the last and teh same as their early stuff to me. I wonder if their fans give them so little appreciation?

Some people are also saying that LP aren't rock or *cringe* nu-metal anymore and thats why they're losing fans. One review I read today called LP a great PoP band after they listened to ATS! Some fans will hate LP being called PoP but personally I don't care.

What is PoP music? What is Rock music? What is Nu-Metal music? Does anybody actually know how these genres are defined (without googling it)?
    I mean we know LP use guitars, drums, samples, bass etc but so does the band with Miley Cyrus or Kelly Clarkson when they performs live. Does this make them a rock artist or pop?

Given Up is a kick-ass heavy rock song to me but if it wasn't for the "popper-stopper", it could've been so different! :)

*I know the latter half of my post is a bit off topic but I needed to say what i was thinking.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

You guys are crazy. 250,000+ is REALLY good today in the music industry's standards. I honestly thought they would only do 200,000 because of the change of style.

EDIT: And don't even start to compare LP's numbers to Eminem's. Rap music is much more popular then Rock in the mainstream.

EDIT 2: Drake's album only sold 400,000 copies his first week, and that's because majority of his fanbase are females who probably don't know how to download full albums off the internet. His album just recently went platinum, but his CD came out in late June.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Linkin Park's case is a weird one. When you talk about bands/artists with a lot of comercial success (so excluding indie and such), they usually aren't the bands/artists that decide to change. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a popular band/artist that decided to change their genre as much as LP has. Green Day? Not really. Nickelback? No. Then you talk about all the pop divas. They don't remotely change their style. Rappers? Obviously no, they will always rap.

I applaud LP for being the first comercial band to drastically change their sound. At least from the musicians of last/this decade.

erasus

erasus Well-Known Member

Thank you Linkin Park for teaching me to listen to whole albums , im forever in your debt (bow)

maclieberman

Oh ok lol

fido

fido Active Member

i Totally agree with you. I loved ATS but on the other hand warner or even any other recording company care about sales and thats it

PFortyy

PFortyy Banned

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!! So true

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Drake's album is dope. I don't care what anyone says.

Also, many rappers have changed their styles before. Look at Eminem. Black Eyed Peas. Ludacris.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.