Projected A Thousand Suns Sales

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I'm sad. Yet they have 12,283,017 Facebook fans.

Quiksand

Quiksand Member

Yeah I agree. Eminem's album was really hyped up and had collaborations with Rhianna, Lil Wayne that really helped him. And after the success of Not Afraid Eminem's album was going to sell a lot. Drake's CD sold on hype. I'd have to say it was the most hyped album of the year by far (not to mention he was the most hyped artist). Both Eminem and Drake are super mainstream nowadays and R&B/rap is super popular whereas rock/alternative isn't as much IMO.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I'm sorry, but rap is rap. You can change it a little but not by much. All Eminem did was change his lyrics a bit and started singing a few choruses. LP has completely changed genres.

mizike

mizike Active Member

well

Eminem deserves what he sold and is not really mainstream. Most of his songs cant really play on the radio but he made a very solid album in this time of shitty RAP albums. Drake has some skills but was definitely overhyped.

Linkin parks album is going to hurt from the major change in sound. It has lost many hardcore fans since they are no longer hard core rap rock. They will gain some fans too, and I think this album should do better then M2M. The album is 9 tracks, not much rock rap hardcore numetal edge, so its a new audience. Reviews are killing this album too, maybe bad reviews on I tunes and all over the forums will stop many from buying it.

Linkin park also did not help themselves with album sales by releasing there songs n vids for them before the album came out and then showing the making of free online.

I dont care about album sales, the album is very enjoyable and the live show is going to be that much better with this sound added to there already sick cataloug.

skyzlmt

skyzlmt Well-Known Member

I lol'd

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

The vast majority of those are just extremely casual listeners... like extreeeeeemely casual.^_^

Yes, I loved Meteora when it came out. I was 14, literally just starting to get into Metallica, and Tool would enter my life just a few months later. Seeing the quality of songwriting in those two bands and then looking at Meteora (&HT) was quite an eyeopener. :)

I don't dislike Meteora because it's similar to HT. I dislike it because it's not well written & because it was molded to the labels liking (which is the root of the albums problems).

Take Metallica's 2nd, 3rd & 4th albums (Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets & ...And Justice For All) they're brother records, all have the same base in Thrash Metal but there's a clear progression from one to the next in instrumentation, structure & lyrics. They get more complex from album to album and the lyrical content is varied even within each album.

Meteora on the other hand is a regression in songwriting. Structure and lyrics became simpler, there's literally no variety in subject matter, it's all about the same thing just not as well written as HT.

I could go on a massive rant about how much Metallica have changed over the years ( ;):lol:), but I'll just leave it at this - Metallica spent 15+ years away from their early sound experimenting, for example:
    Mama Said, Poor Twisted Me, Where The Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric

Feel free to compare those songs to stuff like Fight Fire With Fire, Master Of Puppets, Disposable Heroes, etc,.

and yes, a large portion of their fanbase bitched up a storm.^_^

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

ZOMG LP is still singing and rapping, that must mean they haven't changed much either! :hitself:

Let me pull up a few examples:

[youtube]4JuS5AwR5Xg[/youtube]

[youtube]EqIrXACVOOA[/youtube]

I guess a complete change in production and a lyrical shift doesn't mean they change much.

How about some Kanye West:

[youtube]b8AyHupByuU[/youtube]

[youtube]IaSopljm410[/youtube]

I guess going from rapping and soul vocals to 808 drum machines and autotune isn't change.

Should I stop or should I go on?

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

30 of my "facebook" friends are fans, majority of them didn't even probably listen to ATS and they don't care if the album is out : /

Sparrow

Sparrow Member

I dont post here often, but right now I feel it necessary to speak up about something I feel strongly about.

Majority of people are complaining that LP are steering clear away from their "ROOTS", and from what made them popular in the first place. But in fact, how is this possible, IF you take into consideration what Linkin Park truly IS and HAS been since the very humbled beginnings of the band.

They wanted to create a sound that was distinct and that could stand on its own two feet, the band VISION has always been about encorperating lots of different elements into one distinguishable sound. When HT dropped, AT THAT TIME, it was groundbreaking and unique. As the times changed, and evolved, so did the band, and with ATS, they are doing the same thing. Creating unique elements, blending them together to make a unique sound. So in fact they actually are creating HT 2 so to speak, on the grounds of an experimental approach, that fits with modern music as it is right now. If they never tried anything different, then Linkin Parks careeer would turn out like Sevendusts, if you dont know that band , go do some history on them. They have a wide catalog of albums which over the vast majority have never really differed or has much change or experimentation, they hav matured but never really steered far away from what made them successful. They are a brilliant band, but i feel have played it too safe, and because of it, their entire carreer isnt very daunting or daring. And once LP is over, we will have so much substance to look through and believe in, that ONE band, who has the oppurtunity to do daring things and take risks, KNOWING FULLY that they may lose fans and album sales, had the balls to do something bold, knowing that it would embed them into history, which IMO is more important than album sales. Its about doing something risky and beautiful in the name of art, than making money. At least we know for certain that ATS was ALL about the music, than trying to make money.

Booya

LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Your awesome!

Sparrow

Sparrow Member

Thanks ^_^ glad u liked it!

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

You guys know this is only US sales, right? The worldwide number is still going to be quite a bit. And bands don't care how many albums they sell. They don't make very much money from them, anyways. They care about people coming to see them live. That's where they get their money from. And for the bands that don't care about money, they are just happy with the music they make. They don't give two shits about bad reviews or losing fans when they are making music they enjoy.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

So wait. You'd rather LP be successful than make good music? Am I-- Am I reading this right?

LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Well Duh I Liked It! lol

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Yes, most of those fans are not from the US hence the "come to India, Brazil, Russia, South Africa" etc messages. They have sold more than 250,000 - 260,000 ATS copies, probably well over a million copies already worldwide.

WTF is look for me? Do you mean When They Come For Me?

Sparrow

Sparrow Member

Considering the technology of iTunes and the accessability in the U.S, its not customary or actually viable in countries like South Africa where I'm from, buying a C.D is still logical and apparent, so the world wide sales of ATS could still really be impressive! Its been advertised like crazy here.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

It's just that everyone has such high expectations of LP's album sales due to their past success with HT, Meteora and MTM that I'm sure critics will now declare this album as a failure when it is the complete opposite!

Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You have to remember that album sales are not at all where they were 3 years ago. Again, I bring up Katy Perry whom had 2 HUGE singles didn't even crack 200K her first week, and she debuted at #1. 250K is considered good nowadays, so I'm happy!

However, when I went to buy the standard version today (I already had bought the deluxe so now I have two copies) the check out girl said it was very popular and that she will be getting one when she goes home tonight :)

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

So you said she could just come home with you instead of buying one? LP would understand.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Nah, definitely not my type man haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.