Linkin Park A Thousand Suns Press Round-Up

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

As someone who has been in a few local bands, I can see where Chester is coming from. Not only do you grow out of screaming as you age, but it also can lead to medical conditions. Swelling, nodules, polyps, ulcers and in some cases singers have even gotten cancer.

Want to read up on it?

Disorders of Vocal Abuse and Misuse

How about a living legend as an example? Steven Tyler of Aerosmith had to have vocal chord surgery to remove blood from his vocal fold.

7 Healthcast: Steven Tyler's vocal chord surgery

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

LOL. Cancer from screaming? Ok.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

The screaming can lead to benign vocal polyps, however some singers like Chester smoke. They also tend to get vocal ulcers. Over time the screaming agitates these benign polyps and they become cancerous. Cancer of the larynx/voice box is not uncommon. It actually happened to my vocal instructor. At one time I took it as a big joke. Sure, a singer who doesn't smoke is probably never going to see cancer, but submit yourself to enough abuse and it can happen.

Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

But as the article says, these disorders can derive from smoking (which Chester gave up), excessive talking, throat clearing, coughing and stuff like that. Of course screaming might add to the risks, but still it highly depends on your technical skills. And Chester's amount of screaming, as I said, is next to nothing in comparison to what other vocalists have done over lots of years. And as the article indicates, the Coldplay singer might get it just as easily as the In Flames vocalist.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Chester was still smoking a few years ago. Just because you up and quit, doesn't mean that problems that come with smoking don't persist.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

I agree that he has taken great steps to save his voice and preserve his health. I'm not saying it happens to everyone 100% of the time, I'm just saying that there are risks. Hell, even if there weren't, maybe he just doesn't want to scream. I know I started singing more and screaming less when my son was born. Who knows. I'm not here to argue, I can see it from both sides. I'll take a good Chester scream ANY day. :)

Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

Yeah, I definitely understand Chester and wouldn't ever tell him to go on screaming if he doesn't feel like it. I, personally, appreciate a good mixture of both worlds :)

@Jay Sensei: I didn't mean to paint it black and white, but of course the risks decrease and the body starts to regain his health over the years when one stops smoking. But yeah, there's the possibility that some damage is already done that can't be undone.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

If anything, I'm relieved to see Chester say he's not going to be screaming. Throughout the years the quality of those screams has gone way down when performed live. There's no arguing that. Compare Live in Texas to Road to Revolution. Which one sounds better in terms of aggressive vocals? If you don't say Texas, then you've got to be deaf.

Chester has THE best singing voice I've ever heard. If he cuts out the screams and focuses on the different vocal ranges he can get by singing, his voice will surely last a lot longer. That's the main thing I care about, both for his sake and for the sake of Linkin Park and their music.

His screams are beastly...for sure. But I'll take no screaming and much longer singing any day.

EDIT: To back up my point. Here's a video of From The Inside on Live in Texas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflr2S12N5w

Watch the bridge. I literally don't think I've ever heard him scream better than that.

Now, here's the same song on Road to Revolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAcuqUdkSgA

Compare the two bridges of the same song, and tell me that Texas isn't miles better when it comes to the AGGRESSIVE vocals. I think his softer voice has gotten miles better. But in terms of hardcore/screaming type performances, there's no comparison between now and then.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Honestly, it's not just the smoking. The fact of the matter is that Chester smoked for most of his life, and experimented heavily with hard drugs when he was a teenager, all of which catches up to you later on in life. In fact, I would not be surprised if Chester's frequent illnesses and tendency to become sick is not a byproduct of what he put himself through over 10 years ago. The human body isn't built to take that kind of abuse, and if you factor in heavy drinking, strenuous singing, chain smoking and extreme drug use, it's a wonder Chester can even still perform at the level he does today. I worry all the time about him relapsing, and judging by what he went through before Dead By Sunrise came out, it's a fear that's all too real.

AceofSpades

AceofSpades Member

Yea guys maybe instead of quitting because he doesn't feel like it anymore he's just doing it for his health after all =x

Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

I think I know what you mean, but honestly I don't think one of them is better or worse in quality - they are just different ways of performing it. It's the same with Faint on both concerts. Imo both show a lot of skill and quality, he just does it slightly different. His abilities to scream on RtR is still perfectly visible in OSC and Given Up.

@Derek: I'm not sure whether illegal drugs can harm your voice, but with smoking, as I said, the body can restore its health usually after quitting, in case not too much damage is done. We don't know how it is in Chester's case. If anything, his clean vocals would be the ones to suffer first when the damage is done. At least that's the way it usually goes. If his overall performance would suffer, then I would agree with you. But screaming with the right technique doesn't have to be harder on the voice than singing.

Rezanator

Rezanator Well-Known Member

I'm a microbiology grad student and I can tell you that consistent strain on your throat can lead to future health problems. Does it happen to everyone? No. But like any health issue, if you keep doing something bad to your system the odds of you developing a problem increases. Besides screaming does not equal singing. Chester has a great voice and he should use it more often like he does on ATS. He will still sing aggressive songs now and in the future, but no longer will every new LP song involve Chester screaming. I think that's what his point was.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

RollingStone gave ATS 3 stars, yet "the community" maintains it at 4 1/2 stars.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Rolling Stone can go suck a big one. That review was half-assed and unprofessional. Its almost like they didn't even listen to the album all the way.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I still enjoy his aggressive vocals in Road to Revolution, I just think he sounds much more strained while performing them. In Texas, it just sounds like they're flowing out, just pure and raw, which gives it a much better sound. Overall it's a matter of opinion, for sure. Just my speculation on the matter.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

You matters well change your name to bLePn. I agree with like everything you post haha. It's strange.

BTW Chester's screaming surprised me at the NYC show. In OSC during the SHUT UP part, he sounded like 2001 Chester. Perhaps a little rest did him good.

merrillmind

merrillmind Well-Known Member

Well Chester is arguably the most intense screamer ever in his lifetime such power look at qwerty or given up by myself all miles beyond what any other singer on this planet is capable of. His soft vocals are second to none pure raw talent and such perfect pitch like Tom Chaplin from KEANE so Im with Chester for wherever his voice leads us he has never gotten enough credit for how pure and beautiful his softer vocals are,you cant scream perfect your entire life granted smoking didnt help him but still screaming damages ones vocal chords and Chester should stop so he can preserve his raw pure projecting ability because besides screams he has so much power and clarity WE DONT WANT TO LOSE THAT AS FANS DO WE so hopefully the next leg of his career really earns him the rep of one the greatest all around singers ever if not the greatest. And on a final note has anyone seen the new ROLLING STONE I posted the short lame 3out of5 star review in the forums but I saw the actual issue and its so awfully written at the bottom of the pathetic attempt to review very good music it says"KEY TRACKS: THE CATALYST,EMPTY SAPCES" WTF???? I find this proof that ROLLING STONE didnt even take one full listen to the album FAIL!!!!!!!!FUCK ROLLING STONE!!!!!!!!

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

LIT is heavily edited though. RaR04 might be a better comparison, and 04 was probably a peak year for Chester.
    You also have to take into account the fact that they play longer sets now at 90mins opposed to 60mins in 03/04 or 30mins for the HT tour. So he has to pace himself for the longer set and a long tour. For shorter sets/shows he can expend his energy faster.

Listen to more bands. If i had to I'd rank Maynard and Mikael Akerfeldt over Chester in terms of vocal skill, and considering Akerfeldt plays insane guitar whilehe sings it makes him even cooler. :p
    MJK:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSyEkrnsvH8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDobrKD1_kM&feature=channel_page

Mikael
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kenyBvpL0qQ

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

I love how this entire thread is about Chester's screams.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

After I won the thread, they had nothing else to talk about but the topic that I won.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.