'X-Box 360' or 'PS3'

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Bradley, Nov 28, 2010.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I'm too poor to afford a blu ray player let alone blu ray DVDs so I think the purpose of PS3 has been defeated for me. I prefer XBOX 360 as I've never been a PS player. I buy consoles to watch DVDs mostly and my partner plays the games.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

you are forgetting, that the brand new 200 dollar X-Box, is only 4GB, so forget any kind of music or DLC you want to add to it to get the full potential of the system. It's just another way for Microsoft to get extra money. At least with the PS3, the lowest GB it has with the new series is 160, which is more than enough to download games/movies/DLC for it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
    iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

haha i feel like a one man army. Okay if you need extra memory just pay a little extra for more memory. 160 to me is way to much, It would be very hard to make that full. I think 4 is big enough, I mean how much music do you need on it. I always plug my ipod into my xbox.

If you want good gaming I would buy a 360. The community I believe is 10 times better

If you want the fabulous blue-ray go spent more on the ps3. But be prepared to go buy a blue tooth set up if you wanna talk online. To say a little about the competition level on the ps3, my friend had a 3.8 k/d on COD before he traded it in. That is unheard of on the 360. He said he felt like he was playing 5 year old on how bad people are on games

Bradley

Bradley Butt makes me weep, I call it a “boo-hooty".

My family and I don't have enough money to be middle class but we have the money to not be lower class (in between those two). So paying $60 can't do for me, I've never played online with anyone because I've never could (had like the first PlayStation and PS2 to begin with), so I don't really mind about online gaming.

As with the PS3 having blue-ray I am not really interested in that. I will probably never buy a blue-ray movie; basic DVD is cheaper. So I don't really mind for that too. (No offense to anyone who enjoys blu-ray on their PS3)

I do want good gaming, but I'm not really interested in online gaming. So I'm just wondering if there's any other perks you get when you have a 360 without the online gaming and getting exclusive games (I only had a PlayStation and a PlayStation 2 growing up so I don't know much about PS3 or the 360; I'm just curious)

Basically I'm just looking for a console that I would love to get one to play my favorite games, have minor bugs with it, and preferably not to difficult how to control/work the console.

Haha I was gonna it get for Christmas but I changed my mind about it. Sure it's fun when your playing with people but if your playing Kinect by yourself and someone sees you just moving around randomly would be just weird :lol:

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

You'll be satisfied with either one, I think.

Most of the huge titles are multiplatform, anyway, and the disparity between the PS3 and 360 versions of certain games isn't as big as it used to be. Honestly, if online play isn't a selling point for you, it all boils down to which controller you prefer.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Pretty much.

Just to add my 2p on the discussion about online services though, XBL is probably better all-round but overall I've met a higher proportion of idiots on there. PS3 gamers are generally more mature and friendly in my experience.

If you just want to play games offline just go for whichever has the exclusives you prefer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_(seventh_generation)

iNuBBiN

Online gaming is why most people get it lol, but if you are not looking for online gaming and cant afford(which i still dont understand if you have the money for a ps3 and was going to get a kinect for christmas), a would go with the ps3 because I think the reason so many people get a 360 is because of the online. But really 360 all the way

@ Raymond- lol i perfer the 360 controller because it isnt tiny like the ps3. My fingers always slip off the triggers. But that might just be because I only have 1 hand?

Bradley

haha yeah my parents actually try to go over the limit with buying me and my siblings presents that are generally a bit expensive. Also I didn't want to get the Kinect because of that reason, I try to tell my parents not to go overboard when getting Christmas presents. ^_^

Back on topic....Even though it's a year I don't think paying $60 for online gaming would be good for me (though it's a generally a low price for a year, so the price aint that bad) it's just I might not consider it because my parents like to use their money wisely....exept when it's Christmas :lol:
    So my parents might not be up for that.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Question: What kind of games do you enjoy? That'll usually tip the scale in one or the other's favor.

Bradley

I usually go for shooting games, somewhere along like Medal of Honor and CoD. The goal for me if I get a PS3 or a 360 is I wanna get GTA 4 (love the series).

If it has a good story line, decent grahpics, and doesn't get really repetitive with missions will do for me. :p

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

PS3 all the way. The Blu-Ray player is a perk, but it's not like that's the only thing it offers. Free online play, can play regular DVDs anyway, and, my personal favourite, is that it's got connectivity out of its arsehole.

I was convinced that the xBox was better for so long, but now I've got a PS3 and it's definitely superior. The one thing that is annoying about the PS3 however, is that you can't have two profiles loaded at the same time.

MaiMeR

MaiMeR The Technique

lol wow this became a big topic

saying PS3 user's are unfriendly / harder to make friends is just dumb; which ever system you buy, there will be assholes there to annoy you, so don't even bother considering this argument when deciding which system to buy

i know i made XBOX LIVE sound like a joke, but i only intended to show him why I THINK PS3 is the better option, true there are good things xbox brings, i actually own both a ps3 and xbox, but i prefer the PS3 for certain game titles + the no fee to play online

if u buy an xbox, plz dont buy the 4gb.....

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

If you take away online gaming, PS3 has many more perks to it. Now, whether you use them or not is only something you know. Also, you should consider the fact that Xbox's have a reputation of breaking (the red ring of death). Although being fixable, it's a major pain. PS3's hardly ever break (Jay being the first case I've heard :lol:).

iNuBBiN

they got rid of that problem a long time ago?

@ OB- if you going for first person shooter i would go for xbox live honestly

Jeff

I've still heard of Red Ring Of Death issues into this year.

The problem resolved itself. It works completely fine now.

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

I'm not going to defend Microsoft for selling a product that has an unacceptable failure rate. But I will say that even though the RROD still occurs, the original design flaw has been corrected years ago. In many cases the problem isn't the 360 but a user not reading the manual and placing the console in a tight space where heat around it can't dissipate.

I bought the original 360 when it came out in 2005 and it has never had any errors or problems.

Also, as MaiMeR said already, do not buy the 4GB version as that's just not enough if you want DLC and demos.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The thing that has always settled this debate for me is:

Does it have Halo?

There aren't any PS3-exclusive games out there that make me pine for that system. I'm also a low-maintenance gamer when it comes to graphics, and I own a blu-ray player (got it free with my tv). So nothing has pushed me to get a PS3, but I can see why more hardcore or particular gamers would buy one.

The Xbox Live vs PS3 Network debate is kind of a lame one. On a monthly basis, it's only a $5 difference ($5 vs $0). Correct me if I'm wrong, but my assumption is XBL has a larger online community.

iNuBBiN

That made me laugh because a lot of x-box defenders use that "well we got halo"

MaiMeR

MaiMeR The Technique

every system has their exclusives

MGS4 (Metal Gear Solid 4) is one for PS3, and it received a "10" score from IGN
    MGS has an epic storyline, and if you've followed it since the beginning, you'll love it

Killzone 2+ and God of War 3 are also PS3 exclusives. If your wondering how those were rated (9.4 killzone 2 and 9.3 gow3)

So as you can see, just like Xbox 360 Halo titles, there are same quality games on PS3. (Halo Reach got a 9.5 rating) Now before anyone scorns me for bringing in ratings, I know that ratings don't really mean anything to an individual person looking to buy a game, (better to rent and test a game rather then going with someone else's opinion) I just mentioned them to show you how one of the big gaming websites/communities rated these games so you can see PS3 has just as big titles as XBOX 360.

Both systems have good titles, both have pros and cons, just pick the one you feel you'd enjoy most (whether it be with friends, online friends, exclusive console titles, etc)

Oh, and off-topic real quick, I noticed there's a "Jay Sensei" and and "Sarah Sensei" and also Sarah Sensei mentioned her partner plays the games, is she referring to Jay Sensei or are the 2 related names just a coinsidence? Lol just curious, sorry if it's a stupid question

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    Jeff

No, I'm not her partner :lol: