What are the Best Headphones Overall?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Benjamin, Dec 3, 2010.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

It's Christmas time and I'm looking for some new headphones. Obviously, quality is the biggest part for me but comfort is also important. Also, I don't want headphones that bleed the music out for others to hear (at least keep it to a minimum). However, I don't care about noise cancelation. Price isn't as big of a deal but if there's headphones that costs 1/3 the price of another and it's better, do share :lol:.

P.S. I currently have Bose bud headphones which sound great but they break constantly.

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

A price range will really help!

Benjamin

$0-$300

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

[THUMB]http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/beats-by-dr-dre.jpg[/THUMB]

The best headphones you will ever find in the world. Listen to "When They Come For Me" or "Wretches and Kings" in those and you might just orgasm. Probably.

Price: ~$300.00

Benjamin

I was looking at them, and I've read many reviews saying that they bleed like no other. Maybe they over exaggerated? I generally listen with the volume at 80-90%. I just don't want to be on a plane and have everyone sitting near me (and more frequently, my mom in the car :lol:) being able to easily hear my music.

But I'm still considering those. They seem to be fairly popular.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

I knew this was gonna pop up. I have 2 kids from school who believe there the best head phones in the world but for 300$ i know there are better for less.

I have listened to Breaking The Habit and The Catalyst on them and to me it is just regular ear-cover head phones with a peak of better sound. People say they cancel all noise around you but thats only if there is no noise around you because i can hear peoples conversations while wearing them.

@ Dum- I wouldnt spend 300 on the beats because I think you could get better for less. Unless you really want them I could possible help you get them for 150$?

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

Never seen those headphones before.

If you want a really rich sound get Sennheiser, I can't recommend them enough.

The HD 280 Pro is probably the best entry-level choice. I've owned a pair and they're very good.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

How have you never heard of/seen the Dr. Dre Monster Beats? I've never seen headphones get bigger hype.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Neil posted this on Facebook a while back and I remembered it just then:

"I can't believe the amount of people who've been suckered into buying these 'Beats by Dre' headphones. They're total shit and they're outdone by 25$ Sony headphones. Fuck people are stupid.

Fuck, while I'm at it, Bose products are pretty much the same, overhyped and overmarketed shit.

Audio Techinca, Shure, Ultrasone, Grado ... [are all good companies]. Unfortunately nobody checks technical specifications (frequency range and sensitivity are important) on headphones before they buy them and they get them based on claims on the package or though word of mouth. This is why Bose are suposedly so good, because people for ages have been saying they're great because they themselves have heard that they're great, when in fact they're total crap. Skullcandy's drivers are made by a factory in china who produces the same drivers for all the other cheap-y headphones that look like Skullcandy knockoffs, they're all the same."

And then somebody asked him about Technics:

"I just had a look at specs on Technics headphones and they're quite impressive, I only usually think of Technics as a player in the high end turntable market (technics 1200s are the most reliable djing decks in the world as far as I'm concerned)."

I can't vouch for any of this but I felt it might help.

Don't get the beats. trust me. They are great headphones but they are also overrated and the price is not worth it. This is from a person who used to have them.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5466 I know these are in-ear headphones, not the regular type. but it's got the best sound quality i've gotten from any type of headphones.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
    Benjamin

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Beats are shit. Too much bleed and too much bass.

HD-25's are the way forward. They're by far the best headphones.

Beats sold a shit load because they had Dr Dre's name plastered all over them.

Edit: As a side-note, noise-cancelling headphones has nothing to do with sound made by things around you. It's basically just electrical noise cancellation. I'd go into detail about how they work but I can't be fucked.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
    Jacob

Jacob Guest

Go for the S4's, I read a bunch of really good reviews about them before I got them and I'm really pleased with them now. They come with different size ear tip things and they're pretty comfortable. If you yank the wire a little they'll come out which can be annoying but they're great quality and they're not as expensive as others as good.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Ben I wouldn't go Klipsch...there a bit overpriced. And whats important with headphones is their ability to sound the same as your current earphones but at much lower and safer volume levels. That's what really shows how good sound cancellation/leakage an earphone has and beats honestly leak like crazy. If your looking at headphones i'd highly recommend audio technicas. They're more comfortable than grados and crazy bass compared to sennheiser's opens. And they're much stronger and cheaper than beats. And in ear i still highly recommend v modas. They're still the bomb for me. don't go crazy and get wireless jaybird bluebuds like the ones i had planned for. not worth it.