Things that you would change with each ATS song

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Benjamin, Nov 23, 2010.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Whether you hate a song or love it, there's most likely something that you would want to change for it to be even better/not as terrible. So if you could make tweaks to the songs from ATS, what would you do? For me:

Burning in the Skies:
    With this one, there isn't much to change. That doesn't mean it's a perfect song, but it is what it is. It would have been interesting to see what a rap verse would sound like though. Very solid track overall.

When They Come For Me:
    A couple of things. I don't hate the chorus by any means, but I always wonder how it would sound if there were actual lyrics instead of the "aaaaa" line. Also, I have the same type of view towards the ending of the song. It would have been neat if this song could have pulled a "Blackout" aka an unexpected twist to the end such as a 3rd verse by Mike or even Chester

Robot Boy:
    Nothing. Great song.

Waiting for the End:
    Nothing. It's one of the more conventional songs on the album but the reggae rap mixed with Chester's godly voice is gold.

Blackout:
    I'm always craving more of the "Chesrap" when I hear this song. A 3rd verse like the first two would have been insane. Although I'm not sure where it would fit.

Wretches and Kings:
    Like WTCFM, the ending could be different. Just ending the song with a 2 line bridge and the same old guitar riff was a little lazy IMO.

Iridescent:
    This is also more on the conventional side compared to the rest of ATS. But the main point of this song is the deep lyrics. Especially with the gang vocals. It is what it is, and what it is....is :awesome:

The Catalyst:
    Next :lol:

The Messenger:
    My only issue with the song is that it's really short. Though, it's easily arguable that that's actually a good thing. So I'm not sure...

Overall, it was actually harder than I thought to come up with something for every song. ATS is one hell of an album kids :awesome:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

You do know the guitar part in the bridge is completely different compared to the rest of the song, right?

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Blackout:
    Probably should just have been one of those songs they strip for parts.

The Catalyst:
    A mix that doesn't make the main part of the song sound cluttered together.

The Messenger:
    Better lyrics.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
    Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Yeah, I suppose during the beginning of the bridge, the part does change. My bad. But then I'm pretty sure it reverts back to the orignal riff during the speech at the end (I'm to lazy to listen to it now to confirm this :lol:)

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Strings in the bridge for Iridescent.
    Horns for Waiting for the End (I know Mike said he couldn't find horn effects, but Chester's mouth trumpets were the jizz.)

That's all I have. xD

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Ahhh ahh ahhh ahhh ahhhh ahh ahh ahhhh = Ohhhh when they come for meee...kinda. Not really. I don't know. MOUNTAIN DEW.

On a serious note, I would have LOVED something as heavy as WaK under Chester on Blackout instead of "Paccyman", or whatever it was called.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Ahhh ahh ahhh ahhh ahhhh ahh ahh ahhhh, wut?

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

You're thinking of the distorted guitar part, which serves as the bass in the track. The octave guitar parts remain the same as the rest of the bridge.

Also, the 'bass' part goes from being one note for most of the song to being two notes.

danielpsoad-09

danielpsoad-09 Well-Known Member

Burning in the Skies: I would add a more epic/emotive bridge after the guitar solo. A change on the lyrics would have been great there.

When They Come For Me: I would like to see lyrics instead of the Aaahhhhh on the choruses. I would replace the synth bridge with a guitar solo. I would add some guitar here and there in the verses.

Robot Boy: I would replace the drum sound with a more conventional drum sound ('real' bass drum/snare sounds). I also think this song seriously needs a bridge, a break or something unexpected at some point.

Waiting for the End: I would replace the drum sound with a more conventional drum sound ('real' bass drum/snare sounds)

Blackout: I would replace the drum sound with a more conventional drum sound ('real' bass drum/snare sounds). I would change the remix in the bridge.

Wretches and Kings: I would replace the drum sound with a more conventional drum sound ('real' bass drum/snare sounds). Some more vocals from Chester would be great at the end; some wild screaming maybe, while Mike is rapping.

Iridescent: The same as Burning in the Skies: A more epic/emotive bridge including gang vocals + new lyrics would be great.

The Catalyst: I would replace the drum sound with a more conventional drum sound ('real' bass drum/snare sounds). Even more, perhaps double bass drums all over the song.

The Messenger: I would replace Chester's vocals with the 'live' ones, that means that I would tone down the song. I would also add more strings, and drums at the end.

Conclusion: Yes, I don't like electronic drum sounds and I still don't know why they chose to use them in most of the songs.

travz21

Since when are bridges/breaks unexpected?

And you do know that Rob plays a lot of drums still, right? He's just not in the forefront. It's just that not much creativity can be made with conventional drums. Industrial and electronic percussion gives you a lot more options.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Chester's vocals. They were discernable, but I wish that it wasn't muddled in the mess of the crazy instrumentals.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

Burning in the skies- maybe change the first verse up

When they come for me- Maybe change the chorus, and take out most of mikes 2nd verse more something else(didnt really like it)

Robot boy- haha ummmmm be replaced with New Divide( i know it came out a year ago, but i still think it would have fit for RB)

Waiting for the end- Perfect song, maybe change up the way chester sang his verses

Blackout- would like to know what it is about first

Wretches & Kings- I love this song, add another chorus towards the end of the song

Iridescent- Nothing..... Greatest song LP has created

The Catalyst- change the words to the last chorus(right before lift me up part)

The Messanger- change the chorus. Its really cheesy

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I Really wish Blackout had a super heavy guitar part in it. Its in the Key of D Flat & B so Brad could have brought back the Drop B tunning for this and replaced the marching snare with heavy muted strums similar to Given Up. Simple stuff, but it would have transformed the song. I've played along to it myself & it sounds awesome anf fits really well.

The same could be said with W&K & WTCFM. Though the distored synth sounds awesome, Guitars would have been even better. but I can see why they didn't as they'd be resorting to the old "powerchord" method the've done many times before.

travz21

There are guitars in W&K and WTCFM. Like, all over the place. I'm pretty sure almost all of the samples they used to make those weirdish noises in W&K were guitars. And WTCFM has guitar in the intro.

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Heavy guitars would've killed Blackout imo. But then again, I believe heavy guitars kill nearly every song :lol:

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

I'd rewrite the lyrics for every track. Well, I'd like to do that for all the albums ...

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Yeah I know, I've see a couple of videos where mike & chester play the parts on their Midi triggers and that they are indeed made up of original guitar parts they'd recorded. Just not all are played live by brad. Tho its probably because he already has a ton to do now on stage.

xxspuckxsorrisxx

xxspuckxsorrisxx Living Things

I can almost completely agree with you here. But, When they come for me has a dif chorus. and I like that IMO. Also, I think Robot Boy didn't fit its title. Shouldve been a tough hard beat with rapping and futuristic sounds. I really honestly dont like it that much but I'm not Rick Rubin and I'm not the band. The album is what it is and it is AWESOME!

All IMO! I don't want to insult anyone.

xxspuckxsorrisxx

xxspuckxsorrisxx Living Things

Agreed. Those Drum Parts make me proud that they are playing them on stagee

AIDS

AIDS Banned

I would definitely add more toms to When They Come For Me, and more guitar to every track, apart from Waiting For The End which needs more cowbell