Do you miss the old LP??

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by pooldude, Feb 3, 2011.

Babali

Babali Well-Known Member

I don't miss the old Linkin Park, really. I think we got enough of that with Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I love the fact that they're still Linkin Park, though, you can still hear lots of those sounds and elements that make them LP, especially on ATS. I'm loving their progress and still appreciate what they came out with in the early years. In fact, I listen to HTEP, HT, and Meteora all the time.

aKaRiot

aKaRiot LP Fanboy

You took what I said the wrong way. I'm not at all saying they didn't pour their hearts into ATS, I'm saying they used to show a raw energy and emotion in their pre-M2M shows. Chester always shows that raw emotion but as the frontman he has to, but back in the day watching them all jump and headbang during breakdowns and things...It just moved me more then it does now.

LPFan4everDS

LPFan4everDS Well-Known Member

^^^ This!

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I certainly had this complaint after MTM, but when the released ATS, this is what they've been striving for all along, but of course I'll always be nostalgic of the HT days.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I still don't get it. I think they're more involved with the music than before. Jumping around and swinging your head only does so much, but now that Chester and Mike more frequently have instruments in their hands, I get the impression they're taking their passion and music more seriously. Sure they looked like real rock stars when they did that crazy stuff, but these days, they look like real musicians. I respect the latter more.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I agree with this. In the past they just looked like the stereotypical band full of tools. Now they look like respectable people and musicians.

aKaRiot

aKaRiot LP Fanboy

^^ THIS

Maybe it's me being 20, but I miss the jumping around. I do realize that at 33, you don't really want to jump everywhere though. (Chester still does though!)

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

Reading all this I feel like the minority haha. I really do miss the old LP there was so much energy there. I honestly don't listen to ATS that much at all, and no its not because I don't adapt to things ( I do enjoy Wretches, Waiting for the End, and Iridescent) it's just that personally it wasn't my cup of tea...I guess thats what i'll say. LP will always be my favorite band of course and I look forward to what the future brings for them. I just miss QWERTY, Don't Stay, With You, etc. Live cause LP brought it!

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It's not that LP doesn't have that energy anymore, it's that their music doesn't give you that energy anymore. Maybe you need to listen to different music to feel energized. They're performing even better now than in the past. They are getting more into it, and also sounding much better while they're at it.

I think it has more to do with a person's personality rather than age. You can still pump up HT and Meteora and jump around if you want. You can even go to their concerts and jump around. I don't see the problem if you're looking for a little excitement.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

A song having energy doesn't always equate to it being a good song. People complain all the time about how the slow songs or the non HT Meteora guitar heavy songs puts a crowd to sleep and drains the energy. It makes me wonder, do they think that the artists whose discography are filled with songs that would be considered slow such as Celine Dion is a snoozefest? Since when are concerts reserved for hearing heavy songs and slow songs become a sing. When i go to see LP, its not to jump up and down the whole time. I go to hear my favourite songs which when it comes to LP, includes 80% of their material. I want to hear Iridescent, Breaking the Habit, Papercut e.t.c I like a bunch of their slow songs. Iridescent and TLTGYA are one of my favourite tracks written by LP and they're considered slow by the fandom. But hearing them and singing along with LP is one of my hightlights at any given show. I hate when people bash an album or song simply because its not heavy enough for them. Like that is the only deciding factor on if the song is good.

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Brad said on the Making of Minutes to Midnight "As Chester put it really eloquently once 'You know at this point we're not just idiots jumping around the stage'."

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

d first line of ATS says it all...

we are not making an album..

all i could think was.... respect ... then i read d rest of it and d last line completely blows me away...

aKaRiot

aKaRiot LP Fanboy

I enjoy the slow songs. Lol.

If I had my choice, I wouldn't bring the old LP to 2011, I would just go back to 2002.

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

You know even though I love there slow songs aswell I like to go mental at a concert, APFMH, With You, QWERTY, Given Up, Faint, By Myself. That would all be awesome at a concert. There feels like alot of casual fans at their gigs nowadays that when they play their slow stuff doesn't get appreciated enough.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

To answer the question in a word: sometimes.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Another thing is it seems like the 'old Linkin Park' is who most people remember them as, at least thats the way it seems to me. Maybe that's because they had so much initial success.

MKH

Or because ATS isn't even a year old yet :lol:

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

..I miss the old LPU :(

Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

Musically, I'd say no even if I didn't really appreciate MTM. Because I think an artist has different eras and every era was different and brought something good and maybe bad. It's hard to compare to what they were 10 years ago, people change. I think they became much more professional in the sense that it is now a real business for them to run. I don't think that their definition of what is Linkin Park is the same as it was in 2007, 2003 and 2001. What I miss the most is a real website and a real discussion board, because lp.com is a mess right now. We still have the LPTV so that's cool. I miss when Mike would post on the board and we could see him browing and reading it. I wished they'd do a LPU tour like in 2003 because I think the fans would love it to see them in small venues. But I really think they did their best to treat their fans like in the beginning, with all the changes and we know how money changes a lot of things.

MKH

I agree about the mess that LP.com is, but I don't think you can really help that - with a growing fanbase and fame, you're bound to have less time to stay on top of things as little as that, let alone control the inevitable spam.