Minutes to Midnight Appreciation

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by cstebila, Feb 25, 2011.

cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

Listened to this for the first time in a while today, and to be honest, I'm appreciating it more then I ever have. Thought I would start this up as I haven't seen much talk of the album around here lately.

Feel free to contribute :)

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

It ties with Hybrid Theory as my 2nd favourite LP album. I think it deserves more credit than it gets. It's a solid album. :)

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I don't think I've listened to it all the way through for at least 2 years. I can't remember the last time I've even listened to a song from it.

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

It's actually my least favorite album of the 4 main studio ones, but I'm glad it opened the door for the band to just experiment and not give a shit. It also had the best making of documentary DVDs in my opinion. With that said I love "In Pieces" and I'm bummed they'll probably never play it live again.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Ah yes - Minutes to Midnight. While I do believe A Thousand Suns outdoes it in almost every sense, I still prefer the raw, alternative rock nature of this album. The sound quality is also just so crystal clear and crisp. Chester's vocals in particular just seem so aggressive yet vulnerable, which I find adds an extra layer of depth to the songs from this era.

No More Sorrow is easily my favourite heavy song that Linkin Park has ever made, In Pieces is my favourite soft song they've ever made, and I still claim The Little Things Give You Away as their overall career masterpiece (so far). Now if only B-sides like Across the Line, No Roads Left, and Pretend to Be also made it into the album, then it would definitely give A Thousand Suns a run for it's money.

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

for me...its ATS,M2M r first fav...and den second fav r HT,re-animation...
    minutes is one album..of which i can listen to all songs...and they connect in an unusal different way...LOATR,what i've done,SOTD, hands held high... always make me forget anythin goin around me...

KeshiyaLP

KeshiyaLP Member

I agree...
    M2M has quite a few of my favorite soft songs....I don't get why some people hate it so much. I mean...c'mon it wasn't THAT bad.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

It's hard for me to judge MTM. On one hand it showed massive improvement in the band's lyrics department and showed us that they are more than power riffs and formulaic song structures. But on the other hand, the album lacked focus and identity. It sounds like a bunch of rock songs thrown in together, that can be done by any other bands. It wasn't unique to Linkin Park.

But I guess I can give it a pass based on the fact that LP were having a major identity crisis when that record came out. I see it as a transitional record.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

This is how much I appreciate Minutes to Midnight - I haven't even gotten the full album of it and I'm going to download the full version now. The only song that I really like of what I have, is, Leave Out All The Rest. The film clip is terrible but I don't mind the song itself.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I appreciate it a lot more than I do a whole lot of other albums, but the album seems more like a collection of Linkin Park b-sides to me than LP themselves. I got the special edition when it dropped, and I remembered loving it, but at the same time a little dissapointed. I love In Pieces, Bleed it Out, and Valentines Day.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

I think a few years down the road Minutes to Midnight will be remembered as some sort of anomaly-- A transitional album for Linkin Park that will probably be the oddball out. I'm glad I'm a fan that has seen the many different eras and transitions firsthand, because it really gives you a different look at these albums as they're released.

I love Minutes to Midnight, but I'm reminded of the phrase, "almost, but not quite." Though, seeing as this is an "appreciation" thread I'll focus on what I love about it.

While the sound of the album itself isn't particularly unique, the album is quite diverse with the sound it uses. You can't say this about their first two records, which tend to have similar songs, or songs that run together. Given Up certainly doesn't sound like In Between, and What I've Done is very far from The Little Things Give You Away-- It's not a particularly tight album, but in an age where most records' songs start, sound, feel and flow the exact same way on each track, I wouldn't necessarily consider that a weakness. It's an alternative album with diversity and I have a hard time believing a person, or fan, can't find at least one song to enjoy on it.

The shift in instrumentation and stronger lyrics were a wonderful breath of fresh air as well. I enjoyed In Pieces and In Between's unique sounds and I also liked the subtle playing with structure in Hands Held High and Valentine's Day; two songs I believe are the album's best. (Valentine's Day is a horribly underrated song.)

Overall, Minutes to Midnight didn't disappoint me and I probably listen to material off it more than Hybrid Theory and Meteora these days. It's a solid album, if perhaps not the most memorable.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

I like MTM too! It's the starting of showing how diverse LP could be,
    my favorite songs are Valentine's Day, Shadow of the Day and Given Up.
    you should listen to No More Sorrow live, they've got an extra intro and it's really cool.

Have fun listening =]

TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

It still remains their greatest album, this was a time when people could call them the greatest rock band in the world without the majority of people laughing at them.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

ATS is their greatest

PS: not arguing, just wanna state my point of view........

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Reanimation is their greatest

PS: not arguing, just wanna state my point of view

TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

I think M2M has the best songs, but I also believe that it is their least atmospheric album, A Thousand Suns is without a doubt their best "album" in the context that it is a concept album, M2M is more of a collection of singles.
    Some people may state that ATS is LP in an identity crisis but I think this applies to M2M much more, but it was a turning point for Mike's production mentality for the better or for the worse.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Lol.

TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

I wasn't bashing ATS by saying that by the way, it's amazing, but that's just the general opinion where i'm from :(

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Couldn't agree more.

PS: I understand, El Muerto.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

I truly agree with you! I think Reanimation is their best too! That's my choice and I'm sticking with it!