Boys be allowed long hair in schools

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jake, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Jake

Jake Give me reason

I live in India (Asia). Being in a small town, we do not have choices for quality education. Although the education system itself is rotten (that is not my focus), the "quality" of education here is mostly determined by factors like infrastructure and code of conduct. So know that, before you suggest I change schools- that is not a solution.

I am in grade 11 (Senior Secondary Education), a male of 17 years, not very masculine, quiet, over-emotional.

Our schools have a principal, a vice principal, and an administrator. For issues that I have, I reach directly to the Principal- he is a Christian, a wise man, and understanding (well, until now I thought so).

I have been in the school since grade 5. In grade 9, I happened to develop a liking for long hairs. However, I was always asked to get them cut. If someone would not obey, some of the teachers would start pulling our hairs to show their power, and tell us we are to follow the rules- no matter what.

It is now the end of grade 11, only our Final Assessment (Examination) is due this month. New session is to begin in April.

In an attempt to speak for myself, I wrote this letter (Attachments / Change.zip) to the Principal, and circulated a few copies among a couple of teachers, handful of friends in the student council, and some of my friends in the class.

Teachers both appreciated it, and condemned it.
    My friends in the student council, and my classmates liked it, and were ready to support me if need be (I really doubt it, though).

Two days later (yesterday), I visited the Principal's office and there were three things I got to hear. Let me quote the conversation.

I closed the door and walked away. I didn't want to hear more about it. I expected a calm discussion, and that is definitely not what I could foresee.

The same day, after the lunch break, the Administrator called me. He is otherwise a rude, and rule-bound person. I can not quote the entire conversation here. Unlike my previous meetings with him, I was asked to sit on a chair this time, and greeted with a smile. He lectured me for about 15-20 minutes, and these were his points in defence:

1) Grade 11 and 12 are the senior most classes in the school. The kids look up to you and notice everything you do. (implying having long hairs is "wrong")

2) Once you get out of the school, you can do whatever you want. I have no personal offences against the long hairs, but the school doesn't want it- so you have to get them cut.

3) Don't stand out. You have to mix in. The school uniform is here to represent all of us as one, and hairs are a part of the uniform.

4) If you still want to keep long hairs, you have an option: walk out this school and get into any of the other poorer quality schools to foster your interests.

What I wanted to say in opposition, but didn't:

1) Having long hairs in not wrong. Simple as that. Is having different voices and faces and habits wrong? No.

2) Rules are not cast in stone. Change is the law of life. If circumstances demand, rules can be made/changed.

3) Standing out is the point of life for me. If everyone is the same, why bother living? If a astronomer is the same as a fellow technician, then what's the point? Your job, agreed not in all cases, is also a representation of what you like and want. How you decide to mold your personality is your free-will.

4) The rest of the schools are not good. Rigid, further out-dated. I am here because I think this school is the best in the lot, and it listens to the students. Rather, understand them.

Next day (today), the Vice Principal picked on me and a few other guys for keeping long hair. She is even more of a strict person. In my turn, this conversation took place:

I just came back after getting a hair-cut, but I'm not convinced.

Next session, I plan to write to the Administrator, and this (Attachments / Change 2.zip) is a draft that I'm readying. What do you think? Should boys be allowed to have long hairs in school? Is it "wrong"?

Why/why not?
    Debate.

Attached Files:

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

If it's agaisnt the rules, it's against the rules. Even if its right or wrong. It's their rules and you have to obey them. I go to an all boys catholic school. I'm not allowed to have long hair either. No point in fighting it because odds are nothing is going to change. Rules are rules my friend

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, as much as I hate it, I have to agree. Fighting the "power", which in this case is your school, could really end up screwing up your life in later years. It's unfortunate, but it's how it is in society at times.

Personally, I don't think it's wrong males to have long hair. If they like it, and want to wear it out like that, then more power to them. And as far as the whole uniforms thing goes, from my personal experience from going to a junior high school that required uniforms, all their claims are a load of shit. I know this is a tad off subject, but even if you are in a uniform at school, there will always be something other kids will make fun of you of, whether it be where you got your clothes and what brand of shoes you wear, to the color of your skin and the way your body looks (which was always the case with me, and I got it pretty badly when I was still in school)

If you want my personal opinion though, at this point, just have your hair short for a little while longer, seeing as you are almost out of school anyhow, then grow it out as long as you desire.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I'm thinking I need to appreciate the freedom of my High School a lot more after reading that.

Unfortunately, Jacob and Nemo are right. Don't do something stupid to get expelled over this. Get your education, and move on to other great things.

Jake

Jake Give me reason

This was posted on another forum, and it pretty much settles the argument for me.
    Things are not going to change, and I can only wait on time.

And yes Dumbledore, it seemed as if if I had tried to speak further, I could have received a suspension.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

It's a dumb rule, but it's a rule.

Makes me glad my high school had no uniforms or dress code at all. Someone could've come dressed in drag and the staff wouldn't have said anything. Hell, wouldn't surprise me if someone did and I missed it.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

As long as I don't mistake you for a chick, then we'll be fine.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I have done that recently at work :lol:

pooldude

pooldude Give it all away just to hav someone to go home to

I am too from India and i am myself a student. Well here we all are going through the same. Our school also has the same rules and i consider them ridiculous. We come to school for studying and why do the teachers have to bother on this rubbish stuff. Though you can be rebellious and get expelled but i don't think that's a very wise thing to do, if you know what i mean. But frankly speaking I'm completely with you and I really like your guts to come forward and speak on such a topic in front of Principal because i know what education in India is like. Hats off to your work.

pooldude

And yah.... it may seem off topic but are you as furious as i am that Linkin Park does not come to India for any concert..just wanted to ask

Jake

Jake Give me reason

Thank you.
    Although I'm not making the second effort I thought I would. It's not gonna help.

Yes! As furious as you are :(
    I mean, cmon.. it's been 10 years since the band has been alive, and not for once they came to India! Such a bummer :(

This world tour, I thought they would include India, but guess not.... I'm still expecting a date or two for India in the summer. You?

pooldude

I have waited for like 5-6 years ..now i have lost my hope :(
    and they have so many fans out here. And when i heard the second track (The Radiance) of ATS and heard the lyrics i thought if there album was inspired from the lines of Gita then they might come. But no they didn't.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Didn't they go to India recently? I may be mistaken but I think they did

Jake

Jake Give me reason

They didn't! :(

Jackson

Jackson New Member

Wear it long and wear it proud! It's Healthy!

Jackson

Jackson New Member

our LONG HAIRitage

This is the book answering all their questions on Long Hair - it's healthy and science proves it! The social pressure will come around!
    ourlonghari.JPG

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

If I were in your position, I'd just stop showing up for school. It's not like you're really learning much of anything anyway. One of my biggest regrets in life is that I allowed myself to spend 13 years as a pawn in the public school system. I've learned far more useful information through my own curiosity and subsequent independent research than I ever did in a classroom. Public schooling is nothing more than an attempt to brainwash children into conforming to the mundane expectations of society: Spend the first quarter of your life in school, get a degree, work a 9-5 job for the next 40 years or so, get married and have a couple of kids somewhere along the way, retire, spend the last quarter of your life staying out of the way of younger people, and die. That's the entire reason schools make stupid rules like this, the concept of public schooling depends heavily on eliminating the individuality of people while they're still young and impressionable. An assembly line needs to be able to replicate the same product over and over, after all.

...Wow. If I ever have kids, chances are I'm going to butt heads with their mother over schooling at some point, huh? :lol:

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

lmao I wouldn't do well in your country, I've been known to be a bit of an anarchist XD lol My advice to you is to wear it long, someone has to try to change things, right? I You have to think of it as, if you don't do it who will? Be the one to pave the road

Jake

Jake Give me reason

Yeah, well it's not easy to pave the road when they threaten to not let you give your exams, in your final year.

I'm growing my hair at the moment. Although everyone has noticed, I haven't received a word so far. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it on 3rd October. School re-opens, and proper inspection will begin again.

I know I've been very stupid in the way I presented this... "cause", but I can't change that now :/

P.s. You're right, Dr. Octogonapus. Even I learn better and more useful things by myself, than I do at school. If it were independent learning, I'd be a C++ and HTML/CSS genius by now. But look where I am...

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Is it really worth not attending school just so you can have long hair? That's what it boils down to and it's not really the hill I'd want to die on, and this is coming from someone who practically dropped out.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.