Mac Vs. PC

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Nobody Can Shave Me Now, Jun 19, 2011.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I love how Mac's #1 selling point to the average consumer is "you can't get viruses".

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

It's actually not that difficult. The hardest part is making sure the parts you buy are compatible with each other (mainly CPU, RAM and motherboard), but there are sites like NewEgg that sell bundles to help avoid that. Once you have everything, putting it together is easy. You can't really screw it up - if it looks like it fits in there, and it fits in there, that's where it goes. It's not like you could accidentally put RAM in the CPU socket or something like that.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I could make a new thread but I'll just post this here

[video=youtube;p92QfWOw88I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I[/video]

I'm not sure what to think. It looks pretty but I'm not sure it's the direction Microsoft wants to go.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't think a lot of Windows users are going to be happy with that new format and having to relearn how to use the OS.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Todd, you seem to know your computers. What exactly is this new "Thunderbolt" port?

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Yes, I'd like to know this, too, actually, and why isn't there an "i" in front of it :hmm:

Todd

Something Apple thinks is going to replace USB but is probably going to be the biggest commercial failure since Firewire.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Stevey boy will probably try to force it upon the market tho.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

+1. And it makes you feel warm fuzzy feelings. And you'll be better able to replace individual components yourself.

*Linux user snickers, hugging much cheaper PC*
    And I wonder how long that fact is going to stay true (OK, it already isn't, but people still think this). With iOS and Mac OS getting more and more popular, I say it's a matter of time before that idea leaves consciousness.

I would argue that using the word 'building' is a misnomer. It's really just buying a handful of parts and putting them in a case.

Though there was that time I bought 4 GB of RAM and opened the box and pulled out 12 GB of RAM. Someone messed up labeling somewhere, and I ended up with an early Christmas :awesome: . Alas, the processor I got was 32 bit. I have all this wonderful space I cannot address.

Ahh, Apple's transformation into Microsoft is complete. They are hipsters no more.

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

I have a brand new MacBook Pro. I had to restart after running to Software Update.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

The name of it already suggests a fail.

In my experience, Apple products have always broken on me. I had first generation white nano iPod, yes it lasted a year or two then it completely shit itself one day. So I went out and bought a second generation green mini iPod. It lasted about a month before it shit itself completely to the point where I couldn't have been bothered getting it replaced with a) under the warranty or b) buying another iPod. When I was at university, the teachers not only had a bitch of a time with epic failure Windows Vista but had more of a bitch of a time on the Macs in the Mac labs with top of the range Macs in there. Number of times I ended up going to the Windows labs because they were just so much easier and simplier to use. I don't know about a lot of other people, but to me, the user friendliness of Windows (non-Vista I specify) was so much easier then trying to work a Mac for me.

The only time I used a Mac was when I was in Graphics or Photography 101 learning the native programs to Macs such as Photoshop and Illustrator or simply fart assing around with graphics and video. So

Macs = only good with producing music, video and graphics.
    Windows = everything else

I was raised on a Windows OS (as my mother was a adult learning education teacher at TAFE - like a college) I highly doubt I will convert to ANY Apple products.

I have yet to try out Linux although my computer guy keeps nagging me to switch over to Lunix if I continue on saying no to his Apple conversion. But I am a bit worried that I won't be able to use all my programs that I usually do like using on a Windows.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    evlab12

evlab12 Heh...

all of my Apple products are still alive:awesome:

I own a Mac and a PC.
    Mac is my main computer, it is much easier to use compared to PC, in my opinion.

I use a PC for 3D rendering stuff only because I can't do that on a Mac...... sighs

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I tried a couple of Apple products and I wasn't impressed. I'll take a PC and Nokia over Mac and iPhone any day.

Vriska

You can dual boot.
    When i need to use a windows program like Photoshop or Maya, I boot into Windows 7. When i just want to surf the web or write a paper, I use Linux Mint so I run a smaller risk of malware. And if one OS is brought to it's knees, I only have to reboot to be able to use the other half. All my computers run two operating systems. Except for my netbook. No point on running windows on a netbook. None whatsoever.

Of course, it's a little more work maintaining a double faced computer, but it's by far my favorite setup.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Still don't like Macs, but Apple did give me my 2nd free iPhone4 in 6 months after #1s lock button stuck and #2s home button stuck. Which I don't really mind having to get a new one, its a a little trouble but i got a scratch free screen and clean registry :)

Vriska

Todd

You're $600 phone (and yes, it's really $600, you pay for it over the length of your 2 year contract) broke (twice!) within the 1 year warranty period - they're supposed to fix it or replace it. I wouldn't be applauding a company for doing what consumer protection laws in the US require they do.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

After reading this thread I'm still none the wiser on whether to upgrade to a Mac or not xD

Kathy's posts are eye opening though. it is really worth forking our a lot of money for a Mac's good graphics & speed?
    I think by biggest problem/pet peeve with any computer is freezing. And I've worked on most OS to know that Mac's freeze just as much as PC's do.

All I'd want is a powerful & reliable laptop that can handle Video Editing programs. Whether its Final Cut on Mac's or Sony Vegas on Pc's. Nothing too epic. Just anything better than Windows Movie maker really! :lol:

So if anyone has any advice, post away! :)

Todd

Macs don't have better graphics or speed. In fact, Macs cost more than a PC for the same amount of power.

Todd

Macs don't have better graphics or speed. In fact, Macs cost more than a PC for the same amount of power.