Mike Shinoda on The Vocal Minority and Members vs. Non-Members

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Mike Shinoda recently posted an article to his blog where he addresses comments regarding the official Linkin Park fan club, Linkin Park Underground, and how some choice Twitter users have expressed themselves to him about how this alienates "non paying fans". Below is the opening to Mike's post and a link to the full article.

"A couple weeks ago, the following message caught my eye on Twitter:

“LPUers r ‘First class fans’ cause they fuckin pay.the other fans r nothing to you,cause we dont pay,huh?PISSED OFF! @linkinpark @m_shinoda”

Quick recap: LPU is the
    Linkin Park fan organization. It costs $60 for a year-long membership. The details of what you get with membership are listed here. I assume the “first class fan” part was in reference to a comment the band made at some point. This person appears to be very (10 out of 10) upset.

It’s sometimes hard to read the nuances of intended emotion in a typed blog post, so I’ll be very clear that I’m not angry, nor do I feel defensive as I write this. I’m calmly sitting in a hotel room on tour, with a cup of coffee and a couple pieces of toast. And this tweet got me thinking about something that’s bigger than the “who is the best fan” question.

So, let’s answer the tweet!...
    "

I wanted to post this to generate some discussion on the subject and gauge what the LPA members think. Do you agree with Mike on this subject? How do you feel about this "member vs. non-member debate". It's definitely an interesting post and touches on a number of subject areas that are worth reading about. Sound off on our Forums.

Source: Mike Shinoda

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Mike nailed it with this one. I honestly agree with just about everything he said.

AilinaAnn1988

AilinaAnn1988 linkin park's number one fan

i agree with mike 1,000000000000%.some fans are so quick to judge linkin park when it's comes to their fanclub.i might not have all the lpu stuff but i was a member for lpu 6 and 8 and i don't regret it.i already got what i wanted out of linkin park.i got my very own hybrid theory ep.and that's all i wanted from the fan club.i will rejoin the lpu in a heartbeat if i had the money.

gaganLP

gaganLP Where the Sun Sets Twice

just agree with mike

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Totally agreed with Mike. Some people need to chill. This band deals with so much bullsh-t it's frustrating. I'd like to see another rock band as famous as LP give back to the fans as much as this band has. Mike, I'm sure you're reading this thread and if you are: Keep doing what your doing. There may be a vocal minority out there that is never pleased with what you do, but I personally think you're doing great. Don't change yourself or your sound for anybody! Oh and congrats on the #2 highest selling rock record!

Gust

Gust En Proceso

And this is why I love Linkin Park (In addition to their music). They're always open to chat and discuss this kind of things without being aggresive with the critics and the fans.

Unfortunately, I'm not a LPU member, but that doesn't make me think that I'm more or less fan than any other person on the world. I always felt this way and I always will, so I'm glad I'm sharing the same thought as LP do.

I'm proud of being a fan, and I think that's the best feeling anyone should have, no matter how much often you listen their music, spend time around or follow them.

Aditya_the_warrior_within

Aditya_the_warrior_within The Fire Rises

mike nailed it alright

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Pretty much this.

Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

I agree with Mike and I think he wrote a great blog about this. I used to be against the LPU when I was younger because I had no money and was frustrated I couldn't be a part of it. Now, I am a member and I believe that it is one of the best fanclubs, if not the best, of any group in the US as popular worldwide as they are. For 60 dollars you get a package, videochats, cool stuff on the website, prizes to win, MG, and summits.

As someone who listen to 30 seconds to mars, the MG for that band in 300$ for one show. It's RIDICULOUS! And it's true they listen to the complains and try to work things so people stay happy with the LPU. I think LP is one the bands that respect their fans the most.

I understand people who get frustrated because I was too when I was a teenager and couldn't afford it. But that's how the world works, if you want things, you have to pay. But I believe Mike when he says the band makes no money from the LPU, it's just easier to handle events by creating a fanclub.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

People for the most part are generally self absorbed and dumb unfortunately.

Anyone who think's they're better than someone else based on their status in a groups fan club really needs to evaluate their priorities and set themselves straight.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I think Mike has too much free time

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Being a member of the LPU since the 1.5 (or 2.5?) package was out (Included both year's 1&2 packages), I'm glad Mike has stepped up and said something about the fan's senseless quarrelling. This was one of the main reasons why I stay the hell off of the lp.com forum page. Too much of the holier than thou attitudes and too much complaining about what the band doesn't do. I got sick of defending my LPUX membership to fans that sat there and berated the club for being $60 without a package (at the time). I joined the LPU because it was something I wanted to do. Nobody forced my hand. I've been a member since damn near the beginning and member or not, I feel like I'm no better than any other fan. I'm happy with my membership and always have been. Because of my membership, I got to meet the band 3 times. I got to get really good tickets to shows. I have had what seems like a once in a lifetime experience at the LPU Summit. Something I never thought was possible. This makes my membership worth it. Because I'm happy with my membership, I will continue being a member. It doesn't seem like a status symbol, but rather my thing to do. It's always felt that way to me.

Thank you, Mike for saying something. Keep up the good work. Keep doing what you do.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Very well put Mike. I have nothing else to add, you said it all.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

And by the way, Mike... All of the music and art that you guys make is both amazing and meaningful to me. I "get it." I have nothing else to say but "thank you" for everything you and the band has ever done. It matters and it all means alot to me.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

well said Mike sir :)

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I agree with Mike on this topic.

I am not of the opinion that all complaints are baseless whining though. Mike is correct in saying that there are people who think they can get something for nothing, but the history of the LPU has spades of taking and then not giving.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

I'm a proud Linkin Park fan, nothing left said.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Mike is never wrong. He is God.

iridescent

iridescent Well-Known Member

That is just the best statement I've ever seen on any LP fansite.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I remember when LPUX first came out and it felt like almost everyone was complaining about the raise in price, saying the band had become greedy and that they were ripping off the fans. What nobody ever realized is that in the years prior to LPUX the fan club had actually been losing money. People were pirating the LPU CDs (which were a huge draw to the fanclub) and this, combined with waning interest in what the packages had to offer, lead to a decline in memberships which made it difficult to sustain the 'overhead' necessary to keep the fanclub running. This price increase was the only way to keep the fanclub functioning without a loss, and even with all the extra things they're offering, they're still not making money...they're just breaking even. The new packages (that were shipped for free to whoever was an existing member when they were announced) came out of the band's pocket and was funded by them. Compare that to other fanclubs that charge double/triple/quadruple and offer far less, and there's no reason to call the LPU a bad deal. 60 dollars for everything they offer is a STEAL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.