Tyler the Creator (Rap)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Scott D, Jul 2, 2011.

Scott D

Scott D Well-Known Member

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

man he is horrible

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

The newest fad in hip-hop that hipsters listen too thinking they're cool (sorry Casey).

The only tolerable artist in Odd Future is Frank Ocean.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Yep hipster shit, trying to be controversial for the sake of it.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

These.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards from what I've heard.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Tyler is really talented, but the ratio of bad songs to good songs is too high.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Man, you guys are the worst critics. Controversial for the sake of it? Hipster fans? You guys could have at least mentioned how the beats suck arse. Next time try hating on the music instead of the fanbase/aesthetic.

I'd almost flip the "hipster" label back at you guys - you guys wouldn't hate it if it wasn't selling more records than your favourite rapper.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Stop being a fanboy.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Only like a few songs, I just need to hear more of his songs i guess to like him more.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    Agent

But that's how his music come off as.

I get the whole obnoxious teen rebelling thing he's got going, but he can't even do that right. He doesn't have the wit or charisma to back up his image. His beats sound cheap as fuck, like something that could be made in FL in half an hour. Plus his voice and flow puts me to sleep. So there you go, a whole bunch of reasons why I think he is extremely mediocre and doesn't deserve the attention he's getting.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

When has any artist deserved the attention they get/been given the attention they deserve? Obviously Grieves isn't going to be given much attention outside an alt/conscious-hip hop audience, as opposed to Tyler who practically appeals to an entire generation of middle class white kids. I like how for once hip hop that isn't derivative and dumbed down finally gets some mainstream attention, and "real hip-hop" listeners can't stop complaining.

Agent

I see things simple... you have actual talent = you deserve attention. Imo, Tyler isn't enough of a talented rapper to get the exposure he's getting. Simple.

And how was I remotely complaining? You were the one fiending for criticism. Just because it's negative doesn't automatically mean its "complaining". Learn to accept the fact that some people actually DON'T feel this dude like you do.

Paul

Yeah, because rapping about worshiping the devil and eating bugs in your video is a great message to send to young mainstream listeners.

I'm taking it when you say "dumbed down", you're talking about ganster rap which died in '07. 50 Cent fell into a black hole, The Game can't get a release date for his new album, and Young Jeezy has became irrelevant. The only "gangsta" rappers that are still relevant today are (unfortunately) Rick Ross and Gucci Mane. And they're still not even selling many albums and are only getting by because they have nice beats.

There are plenty of mainstream artists out there who aren't "dumbed down". Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, and Jay-Z are excellent examples.

Odd Future's gimmick is stupid and has been done before. It's like Three 6 Mafia mixed with the Cool Kids. On top of that, their music just isn't that good.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

It's the "doesn't deserve attention" part. The comment wasn't necessarily aimed at you in particular either; it's the "how is x popular, when y isn't" mindset that most "real hip-hop" fans have - substituting in OF and whatever alt-hip hop is going that week. The belief that if OF weren't popular, some better rapper would be in their place. That's a complaint as far as I see.

I really don't care if people don't like Tyler; when they refer to his fans (ie. myself) as "hipsters [...] thinking they're cool" I start wasting people's time.

edit: lol Paul, did you just say Lupe Fiasco isn't dumbed down? Surely you've heard his newest album... Sure, I'm a Kanye West fan myself, and Jay-Z has been around forever now - I'm talking about new mainstream hip-hop artists.

I'm confused about the part where you said, it's been done before, and then said it's a mix between two artists. If it has been done before, then why is it a mix between two different artists? :ssss

Paul

I have no problem with OF's popularity. It's the fans that I have come across in real life (no one on this board) that makes me disinterested in them. They're like a less-annoying version of ICP fans.

Agent

Not a single person here brought up that argument, except for you. Plus, I don't even know what you mean by "real hip-hop" fan either. I agree with what Paul said... Tyler isn't doing anything out of the ordinary, as opposed to being dumbed down. The only way he's going against the grain is by acting ignorant and saying dumb shit on Twitter.

Paul

There is a difference between being "dumbed down" and being "poppy". Lasers was a pop-rap album. The hooks on the songs really killed that album but Lupe's lyricism was on point and the beats were pretty good. It is well known that his label had the final say on that album, and Lupe has said countless times that he hates Lasers. I remain optimistic about Food & Liquor II because he said that he has full control over it this time around and that he is making it for his "hip-hop" fans.

In terms of new mainestream artists, J.Cole is about to blow up (no pun intended) and he is far from being "dumbed down".

The fact that their gimmick reminds me of a mix between two groups makes it worse, imo. You can classify them as horrorcore, in which that case they're better artists in that genre.