Tyler the Creator (Rap)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Scott D, Jul 2, 2011.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Paul: Haven't been following what Lupe's being doing since Laser's came out, you hear a thousand different things from that guy though. A lot of Tyler's stuff isn't horrorcore at all. Maybe most of Earl's raps, a bit of Hodgy's, not much from the rest of OF. I don't see how the gimmick being a mix of two groups makes it worse than it would a direct copy, but okay.
    Agent O: it was somewhat implied when you were saying that talented rappers deserve attention. Of course Tyler isn't doing anything out of the ordinary when you describe everything he's doing out of the ordinary as "ignorant".

I'm off to sleep anyway. Hopefully while I'm asleep J.Cole blows up and you guys can move on from calling OF fans hipsters.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Yeah, people who like Linkin Park and are posting on a Linkin Park board are clearly the type to hate stuff just because it's popular, and it's not like anyone could possibly just not like their music or anything.

And the aesthetic, if you're referring to the controversial content, is a part of the music.

No one actually generalised all of their fans as being hipsters either. If you're so sure you don't fall under that criteria don't get so protective... you're right, you probably do need a nap.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

There is no getting through to this guy :lol:. Let's leave him alone with his fanboy love for OF and Tyler.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

man fuck ofwgkta, bunch of no talent fucks. GOD! omg rape

the same people that bitch about ofwgkta being controversial for the sake of being controversial are the same ones that don't understand how a former correctional officer can be a hardened drug dealer gangster turned rapper (Rick Ross), because apparently gimmicks only exist in the realm of professional wrestling. these same people will also forget how Eminem was also accused of being "just an image" and "controversial because it's cool and hip" when he was first breaking into the mainstream.

lol. haters gon hate, it's all good Jordan. let them have Lupe Fiasco and let them get excited about Bad Meets Evil and shit. We are Hypebeast, they are 2dopeboyz.

I really don't see how you can call OFWGKTA "horrorcore" when their members include Domo (stoner rap), Mike G (sucking), Jet Age of Tomorrow (ambient/trip-hop), Frank Ocean (fucking awesome). I'm not going to make an argument for MellowHype, they didn't do themselves or the group any favors with that 64 video. Jesus christ. It's kind of embarrasing. Should have let Tyler do the script treatment, Hodgy. Love them or hate them, the videos for "She" and "Yonkers" is pretty good for a 20 year old kid with no schooling in script writing/music video treatments, and a few years in college for video production/direction. It's not like XL has millions and millions of dollars to pour into these videos and hire world famous directors and shit. It's all Tyler, and if it's not Tyler, it's someone OFWGKTA affiliated.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

Where in this thread gave you the idea to come down to that conclusion? Everyone knows Rick Ross is the fakest guy in the game, and Eminem's gimmick worked because he was a white guy who was co-signed by Dr. Dre. DR. MOTHAFUCKIN' DRE! Mr. NWA and Death Row Records himself.

I'll admit, "She" is one of the only Tyler songs I like ("Golden" being the other), and the video was pretty fucking dope.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

i like to try and mention rick ross as much as possible, even if no one has brought him up. not enough people appreciate rick ross.

EDIT. you like "she" and.... "golden"? You like the outro, but not the intro? you don't like tron cat? analog isn't a cool summer song? window is a pretty nice little group track, and bitch suck dick is the best song i've ever heard (since the last time i heard "swag me the fuck out"). her is basically a sequel to she, and it's really depressing.

they aren't horrorcore. if anything, tyler is emo as fuck.

Dean

There's another Casey post to add to the "I seriously honestly definitely don't care but I'm going to write a couple of fairly lengthy paragraphs trying to justify myself anyway" pile. :lol:

How about just coming to terms with how not everyone likes what you like instead of assuming and generalising things about them to make it seem as though you're objectively right? Jeez.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

lol dean. go play mod in random chat or something.

Dean

Nah, I'll do it here.

*rides a scooter*

*listens to The Jam*

*wears some Fred Perry*

:p

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I entered this thread expecting Casey/Jordan against the world.

Will not be leaving disappointed.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I have no doubt that people don't "just not like the music", I'm not trying to convince anyone to listen to anything - just trying to defend some nice boys and their music and their fans as being "hipster shit"/"music that hipsters listen to thinking they're cool". Which is general enough for me anyway lol. The Linkin Park thing is dumb, most of the people who reply to threads in this entire forum section are only here because they liked Linkin Park when they were 12. I think it clearly is an unnecessary biased hate due to their popularity - the evidence is that nobody in this thread (myself and Casey aside) has probably even downloaded the Domo Genesis/Mellowhype/Jet Age/Frank Ocean mixtapes.

Fanboy? Go learn the definition of buzzwords before you use them. Goblin probably isn't even in my top 5/10 albums of the year ffs. I've kind of forgotten what you were trying to get through to me also, if you were just trying to justify your hate for them, then I'm really not sure why you replied several times.

I'm on school holidays, it was probably ~2am when I started arguing, WHAT ELSE was I going to do?

lakoniasm

lakoniasm What do I type here?

I personally like Tyler, The Creator....He is a new breed in the world of rap today, He is very different and says what he wants and doesn't care about others opinions....But that's just my personal opinion.

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not really a fan but I do think video for "Yonkers" is perfect for the song.

Dean

People you're arguing with in this thread:
    Me: I like Linkin Park.
    Agent O: Likes Linkin Park.
    Harlz: Likes Linkin Park.
    Paul: I don't know.

People who like Linkin Park posting on a Linkin Park board. I reiterate, if we hated stuff just because it was popular why would we be doing that?

The train of logic here seems to be "People don't like them, they MUST be biased and they can't have listened to much of their music" whether or not they've even tried to make sweeping statements about the whole group, or given reasons for not liking them. This is why you've been called a fanboy.

But yeah, I'm generally not keen on what I've heard by them and I'm not biased, and I'm not pretending I've heard loads and loads. If I did sit down and listen to more by one of them it probably would be Frank Ocean as it is. Haters gonna hate etc.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I don't think he actually is saying what he thinks though. He seems to just be saying any controversial bullshit he can. What's that song with the reference to raping pregnant women or whatever? No sane person thinks that's actually a good idea.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

There are exceptions to everything. Just because you like Linkin Park, doesn't mean you can't still be a hipster. I'm not going to discuss this point any further.

Well obviously my train of logic seems to be fairly accurate, seeing as aside from the biased part - it's seems to practically be fact. I'm not trying to argue that the ultimate reason that people dislike them is because of their popularity - I've said before (even in what you quoted funnily enough) that you're allowed to dislike them for not liking their music, fair enough. But the reason for why you guys have come into this thread and ironically dismissed it as "hipster shit" in the first place IS because they're the biggest thing in hip-hop at the moment.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Are you fucking kidding me? Maybe in your own little world.

Dean

Because you're wrong.

You're accusing me of disliking things because they're well-known and popular. I am on a Linkin Park board, Linkin Park being a band I like, where I have an Eddie Izzard avatar and a Doctor Who member title. Yep, sounds like someone who hates pop culture. Never mind how in your first post in this thread you were mocking the OP for posting a link to the most well-known track related to them. :lol:

But you keep insisting that people in this thread dislike them just because and not because they actually just don't like their music, even though said people have generally provided reasons besides "hipster shit" or whatever. Keep saying it over and over though, maybe it'll become true eventually.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

I love this thread.