Tyler the Creator (Rap)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Scott D, Jul 2, 2011.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I hate the internet because almost everyone uses it. [/hipster]

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I never said I wasn't a hypocrite, stop putting words in my mouth! Listen, you're not a hipster - you're just partaking in a social behaviour that would be described as one of a "hipster". Maybe this is the exception to you never being a hipster, who knows?

I was arguing with Agent O about how he thought they didn't "deserve attention", I was arguing with Paul about the state of mainstream hip-hop and how they're "gimmicky", and now I'm arguing with you about my arguments and how you aren't hipster. I haven't kept insisting that people aren't allowed to dislike them for musical reasons at all, are you even reading what I've been typing?

I'm confused about why you're so angry about my overstatement. On an unrelated note, did a bit of lurking, turns our you're Dusan. People really shouldn't change their usernames, who's Agent O anyway?

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Ooo Jordan got a thing for me :awesome:

I've already told you... the whole argument about Tyler not deserving the attention is simple. Imo, he just isn't talented enough... I even gave reasons why I think that way. And yes, it all comes down to talent at the end of the day. You don't see me bringing up that argument for any other rapper, say for instance Kanye or Eminem or Lupe... why? Because they are actually talented people! Hell, I even think Frank Ocean deserves the exposure he's getting... again, why... because he's is talented!

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm sorry, but if you're on vacation from any sort of responsibility and you find yourself arguing online, you need to find something productive to do. Go out and drink. Go out and smoke. Go out and drink and smoke. Take roadtrips. Because I know if I was on vacation and just sitting at home doing nothing, shit.

EDIT: And I love how you're saying that people shouldn't change their usernames, people will do what they will. Although it'd be hilarious if EVERYBODY changed their names to somebody else's name just to see what you'd do.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I just wanted to know what you used to be called :c. I-It's not like I like y-you or anything!

Talent is a pretty subjective thing really, is the entirety of early punk not worthy of attention because the artists are mostly musically untalented? Even if Tyler isn't talented as a rapper, he still has talents in marketing and persistence (yes, that is a valid talent now) that got them to where they are in the first place.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm not angry. I just couldn't believe you really think it's true.
    And btw, it's not that I hate them, I heard maybe 10-15 songs and imo, they're average at best. What I really don't get is why people are obsessed about defending them all over the internet.

And yeah, I changed my username around the time ATS was about to come out.. I don't like people changing their usernames either, but this was my first time, I promise I won't do it again :)

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

See what I'd do? tbh I imagine I'd feel pretty loved if everyone changed their usernames for me.

Ehh, it's cold here and there aren't many places to go out to when you're a poor Australian 16 year old (when did this thread become my blog btw?). I'll smoke tomorrow night for you if you like though!

Good work "El Muerto", good to see we agree on something here.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

Lesson of the week: Be careful calling people hipsters. Massive rage can be caused on an internet message board.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

"Well obviously my train of logic seems to be fairly accurate, seeing as aside from the biased part - it's seems to practically be fact. I'm not trying to argue that the ultimate reason that people dislike them is because of their popularity - I've said before (even in what you quoted funnily enough) that you're allowed to dislike them for not liking their music, fair enough. But the reason for why you guys have come into this thread and ironically dismissed it as "hipster shit" in the first place IS because they're the biggest thing in hip-hop at the moment."
    "I think it clearly is an unnecessary biased hate due to their popularity - the evidence is that nobody in this thread (myself and Casey aside) has probably even downloaded the Domo Genesis/Mellowhype/Jet Age/Frank Ocean mixtapes."

I could've sworn you typed that.

Yep, fanboy. I think I'm done here.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
    Minus

Glad to see I'm not the only one winning threads nowadays. GG, Dean.

shok15

shok15 The unforgettable sound

he and the whole Odd Future thing will be HUUUGE in a few years.
    mark my words everyone:shifty:

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Obviously you didn't really understand what I said in either of those posts, so I'm pretty glad you're finished arguing. Besides, "fanboy" is an ancient term now. The 2011 buzzword equivalent is "dickrider". Old things aren't cool, hipster.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

2deep4u, huh? At no point have you had to keep arguing, it's your fucking school holiday after all. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    Minus

Telling people to stop using certain terms because everyone is using it and is thus old? Sounds like YOU'RE the hipster, hipster.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Not realising I was being unserious and making a joke, thus calling me a hipster? Sounds like YOU'RE the funsponge, funsponge.

I'm a w4lking parad0x, no 1'm no7.

Minus

Everything is taken at face value, because this is the internet. Also because you leave no context for being an unserious argument and it was just as obtuse as the rest of your arguments. Now as the rest of us are at work and bored, you the unemployed kid with no school should be out, I dunno, not being on the internet. Go make a snowman or something.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Lupe probably isn't the best example to use, considering he admitted that he had to dumb down his last album because the label didn't like what he released :p

---

As for rapping about worshipping the devil and eating bugs in videos, I'd suggest it's not meant to be a good message to send to mainstream listeners. Papa Roach had a scene in Between Angels And Insects where Jacoby screamed and threw up loads of roaches, and even pop artists have questionable things in their videos (Robbie Williams peeling his skin off to impress a group of girls, Britney Spears acting like a massive slut in almost all of her videos, and Lady Gaga doing whatever the fuck she's doing in all her videos, and also dressing like a gimp). My point is, if you don't like the artist then you're gonna point out things about them that you'd overlook for other people that you do like. This links into how controversial he's meant to be. Eminem did that with his first two LPs, and I bet most people on here that like hip-hop in any form love those two records so I can't believe that your reason for disliking OF comes from that. Then there's the issue of if they have "no talent." Well, considering that they've managed to become a worldwide success without input from anyone outside of OF, I'd say they must have talent.

Now, if you don't like the music they make, that's fair enough, but you can't really slate them and suggest that they have no talent, they're "too controversial" or whatever other reason you have to nit-pick at them. I don't like Dimmu Borgir's music but I can't say they're untalented. It's music, it's opinionated, that's that. Everyone makes these things so personal nowadays.

I don't mind Tyler's stuff but I can't really say I've listened to much of the other guys from Odd Future's stuff. The issue is, Tylers latest album got popular due to one song that came out before the album had been finished (as far as I'm aware anyway), meaning that it was probably rushed due to pressure from his label, meaning that it's probably going to have a certain amount of filler. Which is my opinion of it.

Oh, a final point I forgot to make:

PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO DISLIKE A BAND YOU LIKE IF THEY'RE POPULAR. THIS IS BECAUSE THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO HAVE HEARD THE ARTISTS AND CAN THUS MAKE A DECISION REGARDING THEIR MUSIC. IF AN ARTIST IS LESS WELL KNOWN, THEY'RE PROBABLY LESS HATED BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE HAVE HEARD THEM, AND CAN THEREFORE NOT COMMENT ON THEIR SONGS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

That's just one album against his whole back catalog of SOLID mixtapes and two classic (imo) albums.

It's hard to equate talent with success when you have dudes like Soulja Boy, Flo Rida etc hanging around. Anything these days is marketable.

Also, I don't really have any issue with the roach eating and whatnot... I know it's part of package and I can live with that. It's the actual songs that I have a beef with. I've already talked about that in details so there's no point going into it again.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

[video=youtube;xIhyZaA8yqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIhyZaA8yqo[/video]

Pffft. Hipsters can't argue

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Whether or not someone is talented is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. That said, can we all agree that Tyler, Earl, and Frank in particular have fucking loads of potential? Yeah, Bastard and Goblin are bloated, self-indulgent, and even laughably cheesy in parts (fucking "Radicals," man), but goddamn, Tyler can rhyme.

Is the hype justified? Hell if I know. We could hear great things from these guys in the future, though.