City and Colour - Little Hell

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Jun 2, 2011.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

[thumb]http://themuseinmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/City-and-Colour-Little-Hell.jpg[/thumb]​

The new album was posted in-full on a few Canadian music websites (MTV.ca, Muchmusic.ca) yesterday, so has anyone heard it yet? I've listened to it front-to-back three times now and I'm inclined to say it's Dallas' best effort yet. Beautiful music, as is customary of City and Colour.

If you haven't heard the new album yet, give it a listen and come give your opinion!

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I've only heard Fragile Bird so far, and I love it. I got the album earlier, haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet. Probably tomorrow night. Both previous albums are 2 of my favorites in the past few years, so I'm sure this won't be any different. I can link each album to a period in my life, and it's always revolving around the same girl. She introduced me to City & Colour, ironically enough through "Casey's Song". /slightly off-topic story. :p

I read that the songs on this album were recently written, as opposed to the songs off the last 2, which were written even before the first album (or something like that). So they reflect current emotions, events, etc./what have you.

I still think Bring Me Your Love was his best album, but who knows, maybe this one will be my favorite after I listen to it.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think that's just Sometimes. That album was pretty much a compilation of songs he'd written from when he was a teenager up until he was in his early 20s that he (mostly) hadn't used in his other bands.

But yeah, I am pretty much in love with Dallas Green, I haven't listened to this yet but I doubt it'll be anything less than great.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Haven't heard it yet, but I anticipate awesomeness

Dean

Possibly the best thing he's ever done, not just City and Colour.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

You guys made me decide to check this out. It better not disappoint. :ron:

Dean

Based on the other music I usually see you posting about on here, it probably won't.

Mark

Mostly true. I'm pretty sure Sleeping Sickness, Sensible Heart, Confessions and Forgive Me are from his earlier catalog, but the rest of the songs on Bring Me Your Love are new.

I agree with your later post about this being his finest work, though. It's haunting in parts. You can almost tell it was recorded in an old cathedral.

"Hope For Now" and "Little Hell" are standouts for me, but I can't see myself skipping any of these songs. Fantastic effort.

Dean

You're right. I guess the contrast I was trying to make was that, as far as I know, there was more time between the earliest songs that ended up on Sometimes and the album itself, but I might still be wrong.

But yeah, this album is really expansive and spacious sounding, without losing any of the intimacy of the previous ones. I think this might be the best City and Colour album and these days I like that more than Alexisonfire, so by extension this is probably my favourite album of his whole career. My favourites are Natural Disaster, Grand Optimist and Hope For Now.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Possible necro? Ney.

I was in love from Sometimes back in 05 after being an Alexis fan, I listen to Little Hell every other day and listen to at least a few songs every day.

Dallas sure changed my musical taste for me, the man is simply a genius in his own right, he's probably the only artist that I like EVERY single song he's performed, I have loads of bands/artists and love their songs, but there's always a few that don't quite jive with me, Dallas is the exception for me and I just wish he'd blow up more so that more people could be inspired by his absolute brilliance.

Dean

I reckon he probably will, now that Alexisonfire is over and he's doing City and Colour full-time.

Mark

He's on his way. He sold out Royal Albert Hall in just a few hours.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Little Hell is brilliant.
    This guy is my songwriting inspiration.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Dallas is the man. Little Hell was fantastic, but "Bring Me Your Love" will always be my favorite.