Is Linkin Park a Political Band?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jesse, Aug 25, 2011.

?

Is Linkin Park a Political Band?

1. Yes they are.

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. No they aren't

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. They're somewhat political

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. They have potential to be

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I remember a while back a forum member made a thread asking for Linkin Park to not play in their country because they felt that their politics would clash and would harm their society, at the time, the person was told that Linkin Park is not a Political Band and that they should not post that type of thread. (Mike reads this board so it's kind of untrue to say that it wouldn't have gotten across to LP)

Anyway, all that time, I myself had some reservations as to whether or not that post shouldn't have been allowed and if Linkin Park weren't indeed a political band. It was after M2M, and you cannot deny that that album has some deeply political themes. But you have to question, do political songs make a political band?

No, I don't think they have to exclusively, but I think that actions taken outside of the music should have bearing as to what makes a band political.

Linkin Park have always benefited charities and relief efforts and sadly, a lot of times that can be viewed as a political agenda especially when they help out other countries. (I don't believe it is exactly political but a lot would disagree)

But when your art, as well as your music take a political spin (see: Burning in the skies single artwork) they partake in charities and relief efforts that are affiliated with political associations, it is then that I believe it becomes something more. And considering that Linkin Park recently had a town hall on Facebook with the UN, even though it was to help victims in haiti (which I support) I think that is when it becomes political.

So, are they or are they not? And what do you think about it if they are?

I think that they somewhat are, even if they do not realize it. As evidenced by several themes from ATS and artworks. Personally I have no problem with it, because most of their politics I happen to agree with so far.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

They have political songs but they aren't a political band. Thats my view.

Anne

Anne married to the ocean LPA VIP

I don't understand why people keep trying to find descriptions and words for what LP is and what not. I don't see either why they should be a political band. Maybe as persons they are involved in politics and obviously some of their songs are political, but I'm not sure if a BAND can be political, and I above all don't think that LP as a band is political. Politics might influence their music, but they don't write songs just for the sake of being political.

(btw, im not sure if you can be political without being aware of it. because you wrote "even if they do not realize it.")

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Very few bands are 'political' bands. Some bands do politically motivated or inspired songs, though.

Even then, very few get past the "Hey you. Yeah you, leader man. Fuck you!", which very rarely cuts it for me.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Very rarely is anything black or white, true or false.

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

This. :awesome:

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Just by having a few political songs doesn't make them a political band.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Rage Against the Machine is a political band. Linkin Park, not quite. They have some political songs, but it's not all they do.

shok15

shok15 The unforgettable sound

well you can call ATS a political album...
    some songs off it can be called political.

Linkin Park's lyrics can be interpreted in a political or non-political way (other than their first 2 albums). so I'd say they're somewhat political.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

ATS is political in the vaguest sense of the word.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I was counting how many political songs they have but I couldn't figure out if Bleed It Out, What I've Done or Blackout are political...

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I put somewhat. They aren't a true political band. Not every song they write is. they do have some songs that can be, but they write them in a way that can be interpreted by the listener in any situation.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Most definitely not a political band. You can write about vague politics once in awhile instead of your usual depressing, emo lyrics without being a political band.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

What I've Done and Blackout are vague enough for you to apply pretty much whatever meaning you want to them, but Bleed It Out is just a song about the process of writing lyrics for some of their other songs.

Cat

Cat Member

I think LP is an opinionated band and they like most artists voice their opinions via their music. They have a voice and they use it, plain and simple.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

^ That.

LP is too mainstream to be a political band. Plus the bigger chunk of their discography consist of introspective lyrics.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

They have a couple political songs and now their a political band ?

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

Hands Held High, No More Sorrow and Wretches And Kings are to me there only political songs, so no there not that political.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

They've probably donated to and created more charities than any other "political" band (okay, probably not), so in that respect, yeah, they're a political band. it's not always about the content of the songs, sometimes the actions of the band members themselves are enough.

But, if you need proof of the song writing being political... well, have you heard about how From The Inside is about the Iran Contras? Not just the video, LOOK AT THE LYRICS!