Wrestling / MMA

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Joe, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

2. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

It's the best option they could have gone with. As for the only fight on the card, I'm okay with that as it will give them time to build up the fight, see the entrances, promo reels and all things that will make the viewer emotionally involved with the fighters. The production will be awesome and I can't wait, besides, they said they will air prelims if the fight ends early so it should be a great 60 minute package for the TV debut on FOX.

3. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Called it.

4. Tim

From what I understand, the first event is supposed to be a "test run" of sorts -- an appetizer to build up hype for the bigger events next year. If that's the case, this is a smart move. Plus this is, in my humble opinion, the most exciting heavyweight MMA matchup to happen in years, maybe ever. No grizzled veteran making a comeback, no freakshow matchmaking, just the two best heavyweights in the world fighting each other in their primes. I'm stoked.

5. tROCKS24

tROCKS24 Banned

i remember the 90's good old days with WWE & WWF. world wide wrestling entertainment and world wide wrestling [federation, i think]. the biggest stars was stone cold steve austin and the rock with [do you smell what the rock is cookin?] then there's sting, the guy with the mask, tripple h, ven mcmann-who worked for wrestling like a manager or something like that. Of course, there was one wrestler guy that wears the shiny green shorts--i still forgot his stage name. im wondering, out of all of these players that's in wrestling esp. in the 90's who was with what company wwe or wwf? to put your thinker caps on :awesome:

6. Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

"Mr. Ass" Billy Gunn is the guy in shiny green shorts. :lol:

7. $pvcxGhxztCasey

I'm rewatching WWF's 1999 season, it's pretty fun and not that bad actually. I'm only up to January 31st (HALFTIME HEAT, BABY) but so far, it's exactly how I remember it, plus a few things I don't remember. Like Billy Gunn being more tolerable than Road Dogg, and Edge being the weak link in a tag team with fucking GANGREL.

8. lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

Would it be okay to start an MMA only thread (because it does not belong with pro wrestling)? It really is a completely separate sport on its own.

9. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't see the point in doing this now, since the thread has been around since 2005.

10. lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

Maybe because it was originally a wrestling thread that someone decided to add MMA into it later on? Could just re-name the title back to wrestling or pro-wrestling, WWE something like that and have an MMA only thread. I dont see it as such a big deal to separate them since they are completely different from each other.

11. Joe

I wouldn't say completely different but I get your point. The only reason they were combined is because it's basically been the same 4-5 people discussing both wrestling & MMA for years now, haha, there really wasn't any need to make two as it would draw the same people and in turn saves us going to two separate threads. You're probably the first person to actually be bothered by it, even though I don't ever recall you participating in this thread before anyway haha. I have no problems with separating them though, if a few of you guys would rather have two threads let me know and I'll split them.

Also, Overeem Vs. Lesnar? Guida Vs. Henderson? Yesterday was a fuck storm of MMA news. Pretty interested in the Lesnar fight. I'm not a big fan of Overeem really so I'm hoping for a Lesnar win, however I have my doubts about the shape he'll be in. Here's hoping he doesn't have too much ring rust and can come back strong.

12. Tim

Yeah, those fights are bananas. I don't even want to try and pick who will win Overeem-Lesnar. With the long layoff, Brock is a total mystery at this point. Besides Rashad, I can't think of any fighter who has looked good after a year or more of inaction. Ubereem is a motherfucker in the first round, so Brock's going to have to take him into deep waters to win this.

Guida-Henderson is another toughie, but I'd give Henderson a slight edge. Ben is just a little bit better in every area.

Edit: Holy shit!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  13. Joe

Yeah, needless to say I was fucking disappointed when Diaz was announced out. What a blown opportunity for not showing up to pressers, I'd love to know if there was more going on here, but probably unlikely as it's not surprising with Diaz' behaviour in the past. I like Condit though, so it should still be a good fight.

Also happy to see the Nam Phan / Garcia rematch on the cards. Looking forward to that one.

14. Tim

I like Nick as a fighter, but the guy is a fucking nutcase. It used to be kind of endearing. That wore off a while ago.

I was really looking forward to Penn-Condit. If the rumors are true, though, we could see Penn fight Diaz now, which is equally exciting.

Edit: Haha, the rumors are true. What a crazy 48 hours.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  15. $pvcxGhxztCasey

They need to just cut their losses with the Diaz brothers.

EDIT: LESNAR/OVEREEM on 12/30. Holy shit.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  16. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Poor Lesnar is gonna get creamed. The intestinal issue is such an unfortunate factor.

17. tROCKS24

tROCKS24 Banned

what is MMA?? is it a newer wrestling company? hum, i never heard of MMA and i just happen to notice it a few minutes ago. :lol:

18. $pvcxGhxztCasey

mixed martial arts. incorporates shit like boxing, kickboxing, amateur wrestling, muay thai, jiu jitsu, sambo, karate, etc. All the pageantry of professional wrestling, too. Especially in PRIDE.

Also, I don't know if I'd give that match-up to Overeem just yet. Lesnar is no slouch. It's a shame that Fedor got knocked off his thrown and stayed down, now all we have to replace him with is Alistair. Next to Fedor, I'd say he was the only other mythical "name" fighter that hadn't been in the UFC yet, but should have been years ago.

Oh, Fedor's next fight will be against Jeff Monsoon, for the one person here that probably knows who that is. How the mighty have fallen, oh M1, etc. Sillyness.

19. tROCKS24

tROCKS24 Banned

oh okay. so would SUMO be apart of MMA too? ty for letting me know*

20. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Cung Le Vs Vitor Belfort.

Oh my fucking god.

Cung Le is my hero, but I'm almost certain Belfort is going to take this. Shame. I'll still be rooting for you Cung!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011