LPA Monthly Mix-Up September: Acoustic/Unplugged

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Vietnamese_loves_LP

Vietnamese_loves_LP Member

Could I use a Live perfomance as an entry? I mean a performance from our Acoustic cover show :D.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Sure! Just be sure to mention your band's name.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

If I didn't hate acoustic instruments so much I might already be working on this. I do have planning underway, though. I may or may not need an MC.

Malvar

Malvar Well-Known Member

Yeah, i saw. But, if he want to play it more accurate, There is.
    Thanks, i've been around for a long time, but i decided to do an account.
    Hahahaha, i didn't know astats had an account on LPA, sorry about that.

By the way, i think i will try something. i'm guessing Pushing me Away(summer sonic version), because i can sing it in key. i have an idea of use acoustic guitar, piano and maybe my voice.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
    Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

Man this would be a lot easier with a singer helping me out lol. I'm thinking of doing an acoustic cover of either It's Going Down or I have not begun. Not sure yet which one.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm gonna do a bluegrass cover of Faint

Nvm I just rememered I don't have a band with 93744747565832929103983 members

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
    Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

The tab I had was accurate, it just didn't have the lead lines in the chorus tabbed out, which is fine because I think doing more guitar parts than I did would've over-complicated something that's supposed to be simplistic.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Uhh...who else is ready for Benjamin to sing us a cover of Blackout!!!!

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Does It's Goin' Down count? Cuz if so, thats a dope idea

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't see why it wouldn't count, as long as it follows the basic guidelines of this month's competition.

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

It's Going Down is Linkin Park and the Xecutioners but it's still Linkin Park so I guess it should count, can any mods clarify if its allowed or not?

Derek

Hmmmm...we'll allow it.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I went to the Uproar Tour last night. My voice is thrashed right now. Depending on how my voice heals will depend on my entry...

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

AttackTheMind set the bar REALLY high. Great job!

JKHC

JKHC Active Member

Ok, first off, I'm new here. Been registered for awhile but I havent really done anything ;) . I have a few questions about the contest (which I plan on winning btw):

1. Do we have to sing? If so, lol, I won't even bother entering. Can we use an acapella track of chester/mike singing. There are many of those out there. If not, i can just use an instrument to do the vocals.

2. You said acoustic instrument...so if i plug my acoustic guitar into an acoustic amp and use a few of the built in effects like reverb and a hint of chorus.....how about that? I can just mic the amp instead. I'll probably mess around with the EQ a bit too on the amp. It's still considered acoustc, but maybe not unplugged.

3. Acoustic bass? I'm pretty sure thats ok, right?

4. I also have an electronic drumset. Not sure about this one, but I cant get an acoustic one because everyone in my house (neighbors included) will kill me. So, there is an excuse for that and if you allow a keyboard for those who dont have money/space for a proper piano, can't you allow this?

5. Sorry if this is getting too much, I'm kinda like the new LP style: edited and effected. Next up, about the vocal track if I'm allowed to use a premade one, can i edit it? As in use the time flex tool on garageband to draw out a few notes or add some effects to the voice. I have something tasty in mind for the catalyst, burning in the skies or unicorns and lollipops(i really want to turn this into an acoustic metal song! How br00tlz would that be).

Well, i know im probably demanding too much leniency but c'mon, every band/artist does this before putting anything out for the public. So, sorry if I pestered you. Please respond quickly so I can begin working on this.

Sorry for bothering you, and then I have to figure out how to use soundcloud.......

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I'll try to answer your questions, JKHC.

This is a cover challenge, meaning you cannot use the band's vocals.

Regarding instruments usage, I think Derek summed it up best earlier:
    Hope this helps. :)

Derek

My quote that Keaton referenced is basically it. Acoustic bass is fine, but you cannot use the band's vocals. If you can't sing, ask a friend who can to do so for you. Group entries are allowed :).

JKHC

JKHC Active Member

So, an electronic drum set is fine right? I mean i'm still banging on drum heads (well, pads because its electronic) with drumsticks and it is a version of a real acoustic instrument. And piano is ok...but what about eq settings on the amp? Should I just leave everything at 12 o clock or can i fiddle with it?

Soooo sorry if i'm bothering you.

BTW derek, is that you in your pic (with mike?)

Derek

If it has a setting that makes it sound like real drums then yes. If they sound like canned drums/fake I wouldn't do it as it'd kill the piece imho. And yes you can fiddle with the settings, as long as it's a piano and not a synth keyboard. Pretty much, we want this to sound as authentic as possible.

And yep it sure is! Mike actually asked me (plus Andrea, Todd, and Amanda [.in.the.shadows.]) to come take a picture with him because of our LPA shirts. He actually asked for the "people from LPA to come up front real quick". Very surreal and awesome moment.

JKHC

JKHC Active Member

^^^^^^^ Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting pretty OT but was it at a summit or meet and greet? I'm just under 16 so I'm not allowed to *most* LP concerts. And the ones i am allowed to go to are outside the US :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.