5 albums that changed your life

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Erica, Oct 26, 2011.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

[​IMG]

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Hahaha

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm not saying it isn't good but that album is so easy to make fun of.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I think you're pretty much asking for it if you have multiple references to semen on one album.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
    Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

Simple Plan - Simple Plan:
    -Yeah, no kidding, SP was the one who made me interest in music and strengthened my curiosity about how music sounds in different genres. As the result, I found Linkin Park.
    Linkin Park - Minute to Midnight:
    -Could be different from most of people here :lol: . MTM is the album that sticks me to LP and to a new range of musical taste. I had listened to HT and M before, but the way M sounded so similar to HT made me lost my interest on the band. Then MTM comes out, just right when I wonder to myself if I should change the way I live, the way I think about people around me. The unexpected leap from M to MTM kinds of heavily affected me and it made me decided to take the risk, to go on the new path, the new way of my life.
    Two Step From Hell - Legends & Immediate Music - Trailerhead, Trailerhead: Saga & Globus - Epicon & tons of their unreleased albums:
    -These albums made me realize that music is an art and they made me enjoy Classical music and instrumental music much more than I used to feel about them. Also, they are my inspiration for drawing, animating, photoshoping and video making.
    Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns:
    -This album came out when I was really easily to be affected by people's words, I always get angry and becomes unpredictable if I sense people say bad things to me, to my favorite things/person. ATS hardened my mind, advice me to ignore whatever I hear out there and just take what is good into my brain. Therefore, it made me became much more mature.
    Globus - Break From This World:
    -Just like ATS, although Globus does not have any bridge like MTM in the middle or 180-degree change in their music, they took the risk to do experiment on their music, add weird stuff, have transitions which remind me ATS. With ATS, BFTW show me that I should do whatever I want without being obstructed by anything around. Also, it gave me a perfect song for my funeral :rolleyes:

I hope it makes sense, English is not my 1st language :lol: .

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

ya know what I'm gonna break the rule I set (REBEL!!!) and add a sixth album: ATS, It really opened my eyes to a whole new world of music its too amazing to leave off.

Oh and who doesn't love a good album with a semen theme XD

Geki

Geki >.

Some of these albums are really bad and I no longer listen to whatsoever. But they did change my life in some way, to make me who I am today. I'll explain the reasons...

1. Limp Bizkit, Significant Other - This is the album that pretty much got me into, I don't even want to say this word, but ''nu-metal'' I guess, or just plain hard rock music in general. I was in 4th grade when I first heard this album and I fell in love with it, I was a bit too young to understand the lyrics completely (not like they are intelligent lyrics whatsoever, but you get the point) and I just loved the way the guitar and drums and shouting vocals sounded. I grew out of the whole Limp Bizkit phase in about a year but I can say that this album did open my mind musically.

2. Linkin Park, Meteora - I was going to say BOTH Hybrid Theory and Meteora have changed my life, but I decided to choose Meteora. When I first listened to Meteora, I was going through some deep depression and emotional problems, despite being young. My parents had just got divorced and I was going through a lot of other stuff. The lyrics on this album helped me get through it, even though some of the songs had some lamer lyrics (like Numb or Hit The Floor). Also, the album further ventured me into hard rock music and even some metal and punk stuff, surprisingly.

3. Blink 182, Enema Of The State- I used to LOVE this album when I was younger, probably around 3rd or 4th grade. I used to listen to it all the time with my best friend at the time. I just loved the way the music sounded, I didn't pay attention to lyrics much this album. This is about the only album I ever really liked or even listened to by Blink, but if I remember this album so well from my childhood then it must have change my musical life somehow.

4. Linkin Park, Minutes To Midnight - This is the album that has significantly changed my life and it is also my favorite album in the history of music, and most likely always will be. When this album was being recorded (2006), I was going through some really bad times. I couldn't cope with it, life was really hectic. But I was also growing up quick, I was completely high school, finally started interacting with people, etc., it was a big deal for me. In May of 2007 when this album was released, my life was at an all time high. I had just seen LP live for my first time a week before at Bamboozle in NJ, and I had also just came back from vacation to LA a month before, where I went to the ''Houdini House'' and got to see where this album was mostly written. It was amazing. Every single song on this album (even b-sides and demos), I really connect with the lyrics and they have helped me through so much. I might have killed myself if this album had not been made at the time and exactly how it is.

5. Escape The Fate, Dying Is Your Latest Fashion - I feel embarrassed to even include this on the list because I hate this band and everything to do with them. The reason I put this is because this album helped me a lot through my breakup with my ex-girlfriend. She was my girlfriend for 2 years, I lost my virginity to her, and I lived with her. It was hard for me to move on, but the lyrics in this album for some reason helped me a lot. It has some angry stuff and some dark stuff, which is why.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

1. Soundgarden: Superunknown - got me into some experimental music.
    2. Mastodon: ALL ALBUMS - literally became my favorite band right now as they got me into heavy/progressive metal. The concept and the story behind each album is mind-blowing. Would recommend anyone to give them a try.
    3. Brand New: Daisy - got me into indie rock/post-hardcore.
    4. Tool: Lateralus - got me into progressive rock.
    5. Animals as Leaders: Animals as Leaders - got me into instrumental rock/real technical metal.

Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

only picking five is quite a task, but I will try my best :)

The Beatles - Abbey Road. Got a Vynil of it on my 9th Birthday and was hooked. sure, ive listened to The Beatles before that date (my Mom used to play their Records when i was little and she carrried me around the House and sang to me), but this opened up the whole spectrum of Music for me. I`ve started playing the Guitar the year before and I then started practising the Guitar on the Abbey Road Songs. Was Fun!

Oasis - (What`s the Story) Morning Glory. Got it on my 8th Birthday from my Godfather, who is of British Heritage. He knew I liked the Guitar and Guitar Driven Music and thought it woult be a nice Gift. And indeed it was! Oasis became one of my favourite Bands ever to walk the Earth. I had the pleasure of seeing them a couple of times. I also had my first Kiss during Wonderwall ;)

blink-182 - Enema of the State. Oh the Glorious Time in my Life where I merged Skateboarding and Guitar Playing and heard "All the Small Things" on the Radio. Was the Record which accompanied my first sexual experience.

Linkin Park - ATS. Expect the Unexpected. Yeah, a bit clicheé, but so true. I`ve listened to LP since the HT Days, but this came as a kick to the Head ( a pleasant one, nonetheless). I was so blown away by the Record, that I couldn`t quite grasp the Dimensions of it at first. Took me about 7-8 listens to fully embrace it and love it.

Papa Roach - lovehatetragedy. When it was released it was the Soundtrack to my life. A lot of memories are connected to this Record. Good and Bad ones. Got the name tattooed, representing this part of my past.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

ya know its funny, there's no one rock band I hate quite like Limp Bizkit, but looking back on it, they did have quite a profound affect on me. They were part of my introduction to heavy rock. That is the nicest thing I will ever say about them and if word gets out that I gave them any sort of credit, heads will roll XD

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Limp Bizkit was my entire childhood. I think the same applies to a lot of people. It's comparable to how some members on this board grew up with Linkin Park, I guess.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So after reading more responses, I'd like to re-do my 5 albums. I'm about to share some real personal stuff here that I never really talked to anybody about before.

The Smashing Pumpkins
    Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    220px-Smashing_Pumpkins_-_Mellon_Collie_And_The_Infinite_Sadness.jpg
    Growing up in the 1990's was fun as a kid. The only thing, was there was a whole line of radio pop in the early decade that I could not get away from. I was into the dance, pop and what I now call the "Roller rink records." I was 11 at this time and that's when I was starting to discover music. I was really into the upbeat dance vibe jams that my classmates deemed as being "cool" and "in." (think of the 69 boyz, the Quad City DJ's, Salt & Pepa, Etc...) One day, I was sitting in my brother's room playing NES when I heard a phrase in the beginning of this one song that will forever channge the way I look at music. At first, I mocked it, being my immature 11 year old self, but eventually, It became a turning point in my life that led me down a path of abandonning my 'Dance party' tunes for something a little more edgy. A little more dark. And I found myself being strongly attracted to it. I had to go out and get the tape. I listened to that tape over and over again as it introduced me to rock music. That phrase was "The world is a vampire."

Nirvana
    Nevermind
    220px-Smells_Like_Teen_Spirit.jpg
    (Real album cover left out because it contains nudity)
    So after The Smashing Pumpkins changed my music world around, I was introduced to Nirvana, naturally as they were on the same radio station. With songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Lithium" and "Heart Shaped Box" hitting the airwaves, I found myself having a new favorite band. Nevermind was my introduction to this band. This was actually the first tape that I wore out to the point where it wouldn't play anymore. I eventually went on to get all of this band's major release tapes and occasionally borrowed the CD singles from my brother. I grew my hair out long like Kurt Cobain did and also wore plenty of flannel shirts over my band shirts. By this point in my life, I was lost to grunge rock. And I loved it.

Metallica
    Load
    220px-Metallica_-_Load_cover.jpg
    As my trail through grunge winded and turned, I found myself being drawn back to the dark and creepy sounds that was from the first single of this album, "Until It Sleeps." Little did I know that this would lead me into a new dimension of fan-hood and would eventually inspire me to play the drums. Eventually, Metallica over took Nirvana as my favorite band. I listened to them constantly. To me, It was good music. I cut my hair, lost the flannel and got into metal. At this point in life, I only listened to metal. Metallica was the flag runner of this. This brought me into high school where my Metal music taught me that every day is a war... A battle of intellects. A fight for survival.

Linkin Park
    Hybrid Theory
    220px-Linkin_park_hybrid_theory.jpg
    In high school, for me, the best way to avoid confrontation was to ignore everybody and everything else. I became very self centered and put up walls to block everybody out. I did this to avoid being bullied, as I was my whole life in school. I shut up, kept my head down and thought about how I wanted to get back at people. I was the kid who sat alone at the lunch table. At the time, I wasn't fine with that. I wanted to fit in. I wanted to be one of the people at the "popular table." I wanted to be one of the kids who stepped all over me. The ones who punched me. The ones who stole my lunch. The ones who sneezed, spit and coughed on me. I wanted to be more, but felt like nothing. I started listening to Korn quite a bit because I felt I could relate a little. Still, I felt empty. I begged and pleaded for them to stop as I took my high school classmates' abuse for a year. Tired of it all, without an end in sight, I wanted out of my life. I felt that things would be better off without me. One day when I got home from school, I turned on the radio to do my homework and I heard a song on the radio that would change my life.

I never heard a song that I could relate to so much before. It was almost as if the writer of the song had me in mind when they wrote it. Every lyric in the song made me feel more alive than I ever had before. It finally felt like somebody understood me. I used this song as my motivation. The day the album came out, I skipped class and bought it with my lunch money. I listened to the album from front to back thinking about how I wasn't sure about the rapping. Unsure, I listened again and actually read the words to the song. I was elated to find that some how I could relate to just about every word in the entire album. To say I had a new favorite band here was an understatement. I was enamored with not only their music, but with their artistic style as well. I bugged the hell out of the guy at the record shop to order in Linkin Park shirts. I told everybody I could at school about the band (even though "Crawling" and "In The End" helped with that). I wrote "Linkin Park" on my black backpack with white out. In my study hall I wrote out the lyrics to the songs of Hybrid Theory as I sang them in my head. This album made me feel like someone else cares because they went through what I was going through. They survived. I was going to as well. Hybrid Theory Saved my life.

Linkin Park
    A Thousand Suns
    220px-LinkinParkATSCover.jpg
    Years have past since Hybrid Theory. I'm not the same person as I was a decade ago. The band that I called my favorite band changed their style, yet again, with their latest release. Strangely enough, I didn't realize it at the time, that my musical taste actually evolved with the band. On first listen, I was uneasy with the direction "A Thousand Suns" took. Much like Hybrid Theory, I took another listen. I liked it more than I did the first time. I took a few more listeens and the more I listened to it, the more I liked the album. Finally, I found myself only listening to "A Thousand Suns" over and over again. I fell in love with the album. Although the mixed reviews were out with people bashing the album on the radio, including DJ's, people destroying the CD on youtube, and writers in the paper saying that the latest attempt for Linkin Park was a failure on a Titanic level, I still pushed on and loved the album more and more. This album made me realize that I shouldn't give a fuck about what other people and the popular media think. Because of the DJ's on the radio, I stopped tuning in. "A Thousand Suns" made me realize that music is art. Also, I felt that it had me mature my musical taste by letting me like what I like, not because it's cool to like it, but because it is what I like. This album makes me optomistic for what the future brings with Linkin Park.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this and got to know me a little better.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Wow Hybrid. The Hybrid Theory made me feel really sad and then really happy at the end. :lol:

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

@hybrid well I'm glad it all worked out. . . . In the end XD I'm sorry that was horrible. I apologize. lol seriously though, thanks for sharing. (I would just like to apologize again for the joke :trollface: )

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Haha! It's all good, Pidgeon! I have a good sense of humor. ;)

LP13413

LP13413 Linkin Park fan

I'm going to take a page from Jeff and start with the album that first got me into music

album-backstreet-boys-enhanced-cd.jpg

Next is the album that helped me throughout middle school and was an album that would pave the way for my expanding music tastes

220px-Linkin_park_hybrid_theory.jpg

The last three are albums that have just all-around changed how I listen to music

the%u00252Bdark%2Bside%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bmoon.jpg AA+MMHMM.jpg riseagainstCDsmall.jpg

Shikshak

Shikshak Well-Known Member

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    They got me into the music thing. I'm not a big fan of Metal music, or any specific style. But I think Metallica can do something really heavy and powerful and in your face, and at the same time they can do something really inspiring, almost poetic with that power. And there's all this melodic thing in their songs that make them awesome.

The Doors - Strange Days
    That album is like a bizarre journey to me. Great lyrics, great melodies and raw production, a combination that cannot fail to me.

Regina Spektor - Far
    5 months ago I had no idea who was Regina Spektor. Someday I heard an amazing song, a piano-ballad, almost gothic but whithout being silly, and that sweet haunting voice, and I ran to my computer searching the name of it, writing the lyrics I memorized. That was when I found Regina (song was "Genius Next Door").
    That album made me love "happy" melodies too. And I've never been a fan of that.

Slipknot - Subliminal Verses
    One of the ebst albums I've ever heard. And I hated Slipknot. But this album got me at the first listen. Songs like The Nameless or Vermilion have these heavy-bizarre riffs, schizophrenic singing. Circle may be one of the best songs ever recorded to me, that song has a very special vibe.

Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns
    A very diverse album. Maybe the most diverse album by a mainstream band.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011